Gibson Brands Forums

That was a big mistake!

Dallastx

Dallastx, you ought to know by now that Gibson and Fenders are totally different sounds, especially due to the humbucker vs the single coil pickup sound. I'm not knocking Fenders,

but if you're looking for that Gibson sound, you won't get it out of a Strat no matter what (except maybe if you mod it with PAF Humbuckers [laugh]).

I can't disagree with this. I usually bring one of my Pauls or my SG Standard to practice.

If I get the itch to bring my strat, I have to bring one of the Gibby's,the strat just isn't going to make it through the session with the stuff we do (originals, rock/classic rock inspired)

My strat sounds great as well, (Custom shop Texas Specials) however, when I need a sledgehammer, having only a vise grip just aint gonna do it.

Decided to just take my Strat to our last band practice. Boutique pickups and all. Just couldn't get the tone dialed in the way I wanted it and I have played it for years. Had no problem with the S G at all. Lesson learned.

D

Don't forget that replacing a single coil bridge pup with a double coil is as easy as taking a half hour to put one in. I have double coils in two of my telecasters because while I don't mind the twangy sound of the original pup, you can get more. Something like a Seymour Duncan Duckbucker or variant will bring your strat to life.

But seriously, a big misstake?

A big misstake is when you forget to take your pants on when you leave home!

And i think if you dime the amp and roll of the tone on a strat you come close enough to deal with all wanted sounds/tones on a sole guitar :-)

Better than the other way around IMO, it´s hard to get a strat sound on a HB guitar without coil split.

This hybrid, which has a set of Fender Wide Range Humbuckers from a '72 Tele Deluxe RI, covers a lot of ground. The short Tele bridge with compensated brass saddles allow for correct intonation and still delivers the clarity you'd expect, but the humbuckers add a respectable girth without quite crossing over to Gibson territory. Very simple electronics with a 500k pot, orange drop .022uf, a 430k resistor in place of the tone knob, and a 3 way switch. It's modeled after the Les Paul DC wiring. The middle position is very 3D with lots of chime, tho fuller than a Strat or Tele yet not as fat as my '06 SG HC Standard. I would use this guitar if I needed to do a night with a wide diversity of tonal requirements. It's a fun guitar to play, tho I do prefer my SG and R7!

The strings go through the body into Tele style ferrules, so it's a resonant guitar. Great for blues, rock, and undoubtedly other styles of music. That being said, Gibson guitars are my favorite.

Archived