Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RabsWood Krieger...um, guitarist for...the...Doors.

I kind of like that idea, but I'm sure Robbie's attorney's wouldn't be so receptive to using his name without some, shall we say, compensation (if at all)?

Hello and welcome..

Back to myself again and had a pretty good session today :)

Still doing bits and bobs on various builds... As I think ive said before the idea being that I will have four or five ready all to be sprayed at once and finish at once.

So I went at that oak body that I glued together the other day and lost another jigsaw blade to this wood.. It really is the toughest wood ive encountered yet (old oak).

DSC04695_zpsa6934b1e.jpg

So now that three neckthroughs glued and roughly shaped

DSC04704_zps379ae04e.jpg

And as you can see above I re-did that ebony board and stuck the Mother of Pearl fret inlays in there.

DSC04698_zpsd09ecac9.jpg

DSC04701_zps0c346b91.jpg

I also have that other oak neck that I kinda forgot about :)

DSC04708_zpsfdcbf54a.jpg

So there you are.. 5 necks and several bodies ready.. nice :D

DSC04712_zps06fcff6e.jpg

I then went about sanding the inlays down on the ebony neck which considering I had to redo it, im pretty happy with

DSC04723_zpsfbcfd8b2.jpg

I really like the mother of pearl.. Gives you a much deeper shine than pearloid so I may have to switch to proper MOP from now.

More tomorrow. Peace [thumbup]

So there you are.. 5 necks and several bodies ready.. nice :D

DSC04712_zps06fcff6e.jpg

Quite a nice stack of wood there, Rabs. You are a patient man. I'd be so tempted to finish one at a time. Delayed gratification is hard for me (just ask my wife). :rolleyes:

Quite a nice stack of wood there, Rabs. You are a patient man. I'd be so tempted to finish one at a time. Delayed gratification is hard for me (just ask my wife). :rolleyes:

Haha lol ;)

And yes I badly want to get one finished BUT I have a game plan which is to have 5 ready to spray and then when they are curing I can work on more and get a proper production going (assuming I get that far :))..

At the moment im still not quite sure what im going to do about spraying.. You need to do it a room temperature or warmer and the cold is just setting in over here.. And using a heater in an enclosed space (my dads garden shed) with flammable gas probably doesn't sound like a good idea [crying] So we will see if I can work something out..

Cheers [thumbup]

Welcome back any watchers..

So I have kind of decided now as Bill mentioned above.. Its about time I really concentrated on one guitar... So I did a few bits on the necks that im working on then went back to Neckthrough2 which is the one that's most done...

To be honest one of the reasons ive been hesitant to go much further with this build is that I wasn't really happy with the body, I allowed myself to stray from the template a bit as I was more happy with the shape at one point.. The problem is that when your looking at a shape like this it could be out in two or three quadrants and you sort of go at one side and it looks even worse and then you go at another side etc etc.. You cant do that for long before you have no wood left lol... So its a really scary part, ive done all this work (again [crying] ) and I could screw it up just by not taking my time to get it right.

It shows you that you should stick to your template plans or it all gets too easy to go to far and before you know it your crying at what might have been :P

However, all of that said this is still my experimental stage.. And im coming close now to getting it right, I have five goes at it with the current neck and bodies I have so as much as im being careful, I have to take the plunge at some point..

This is I guess the trouble with doing this all by myself.. I don't have a manger or a team to work with and ive (as you know) had to teach all of this to myself.. So I reckon that all this is just me finding my way through the process's and procedures I have to learn to finish one properly (and as been said "paying my dues" :)).. This is why I post though as all of the support ive received has really helped me get through to this point and keeps me going.. YOU WILL SEE A FINISHED GUITAR ;) So thanks once again for all the support and kind messages and suggestions.. It really does help [thumbup]

Anyway, enough of that.. back to the build.

So heres neckthrough 2.. As I say, not really happy with the shape... So lets see what I can do about it.

DSC04727_zps211c3e5a.jpg

As you can see I made a centre line (very important to have a centre line) and indeed the bottom right hump was like a quarter of an inch or so wider than the top.. and im also not quite happy with the bottom horn.

DSC04728_zps85e371a4.jpg

As you can see above, I cut the bottom right hump... and now as I was saying, I like the way that side looks but its made the top hump now look slight out (ahhhhggg!) So I decided to move on to the horn area. I draw a shape I like (or what I think I like at this point :))

DSC04729_zps7761f39b.jpg

And cut. and I like it.. ALMOST there

DSC04731_zps479ca01f.jpg

So I look at that top hump area again.. I think I just need to take the corner off.. But decided to sleep on it.. It nearly always helps when I come home and look at the pictures I took that day..

DSC04732_zps4634c011.jpg

I also decided to double check what the string height will be (to make sure the bridge will work this time).. As you can see it looks pretty good.. Its simple, all you do is place a ruler on the fretboard and it will show you roughly how high the strings will be.. This looks pretty good to me :D

DSC04733_zpsb62be041.jpg

So something was still annoying me about that bottom horn.. So again I decided to take a small amount off and draw it out first

DSC04734_zpsb0bb5c93.jpg

Man its so close now.. Probably just take that bit of the back of the guitar and we are there (hopefully ;)).

DSC04735_zps68d1683e.jpg

Also you can see above I drew the bridge position.. so I think time for some new templates for the pups..

So I get a spare bit of wood and mark them out

DSC04737_zps5a3efd06.jpg

And cut them out.. They need a bit of fine filling still.. But actually im thinking about buying some Perspex pre made templates.. They arnt expensive and are machine cut so totally accurate.. (and will save me some time, making these templates is a pain in the bum

DSC04744_zps7a8e8571.jpg

So that's all for today.. I will think about those templates and see... So next will be sorting out the headstock, drilling for the tuners and sticking the nut on and fine tuning that.. Then all the fun routing :) We arnt far off from this build finishing really so I will try and focus on this as I think having a finished item will spur me on a bit (even if I cant paint it yet)..

More tomorrow [thumbup]

It's starting to look like a guitar factory to me.

[biggrin]

Thank you sir :)

I am determined to make a guitar.. and make one that is at my standards which are fairly high since im a huge Gibson fan [thumbup]

I am determined to make a guitar.. and make one that is at my standards which are fairly high since im a huge Gibson fan [thumbup]

That's funny. [lol] Cuz no one b!tches about Gibson's quality standards here, right?

Shape is looking good though, Rabs.

Looking good, cant believe its already been a year since you started. Time seems to go so quickly. How are you thinking of overcoming the temperature issues for the spray/cure?

I know.. time is crazy isn't it...

And at the moment I have no idea what im going to do about finishing. The only thing I can do is maybe not use Nitro for this first batch of guitars (maybe do a stain and oil finish?)... or just not finish them yet and wait till it gets warmer?

Looking like a guitar. It's just me but I would cinch her waste in just a little more if it were mine.Know what I mean? That neck angel looks great! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Cheers man :)

And do you mean the curves where say your leg would go when sitting down in the middle of the body? I will draw it on and have a look tomorrow (didn't get to do any today)..

And yes im happy with the angle. And for when I come to do the set necks that I have I will be using hide glue so at least if I make a mistake again I should be able to correct it [thumbup]

And at the moment I have no idea what im going to do about finishing. The only thing I can do is maybe not use Nitro for this first batch of guitars (maybe do a stain and oil finish?)... or just not finish them yet and wait till it gets warmer?

I think an oil finish would look great on there. I used tung oil on a Strat project and I thought it was fabulous. The guy I sold it too loves it and still uses it regularly.

I think an oil finish would look great on there. I used tung oil on a Strat project and I thought it was fabulous. The guy I sold it too loves it and still uses it regularly.

Also I have one other idea.... Some of you may remember that I did a course on antique furniture restoration where I learned to French Polish...

Im just not sure on the long term of French polishing a guitar.. it will look good but will be a VERY thin finish :-k

Im just not sure on the long term of French polishing a guitar.. it will look good but will be a VERY thin finish :-k

It would be very glossy then, right? Never heard of putting shellac on a guitar, but it would seal it certainly.

Archived