Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking more like a guitar and less like a door everyday LOL! Keep 'em comin' Rabs, looking good! [thumbup]

Cheers guys.. Well this one isn't from a door (I still have two bodies that are though).. BUT instead this wood im using apparently was part of a window sill (must have been a large window) lol (I bought it from a car boot sale for £10 and have two of them (like 4x4 and like 4ft long).

I kinda like repurposing wood.. I will one day start with a prober squared off blank (one day ;))

Is that three piece Arican and two piece Braz? Interesting combo.

Yup... I like it... and for the price I just had to snap it up before someone else did.. Ive just emailed him to see what else he has [thumbup]

I was just thinking.. that with a wine red top and natural back... HMMmmmmmm :)

This setup almost reminds me of a Telecaster, I kinda like it. It would really look interesting with the Flame Maple as a top.

Then with the other bridges

And yes actually im glad you said that as my aim was to kind of make a cross between a Tele and a Gibson double cut.... So sort of Tele looking with Gibson features (certainly the Gibson scale length and controls) [thumbup]

But I have three bodies this shape so I can continue to mix and match until I get the perfect version :)

And yes actually im glad you said that as my aim was to kind of make a cross between a Tele and a Gibson double cut.... So sort of Tele looking with Gibson features (certainly the Gibson scale length and controls) [thumbup]

But I have three bodies this shape so I can continue to mix and match until I get the perfect version :)

Rabs..... This just AWESOME!!!!

Rabs..... This just AWESOME!!!!

Thank you sir :D

The way I see it is that the LP to me is the perfect shape for a guitar (which is why I own so many and love them).. BUT that shape has been done to death really so I figure I need to do something just slightly different.. Gibson already make the perfect LP, im not even gonna try and compete with that ;)

But as been said.. im still experimenting really so who knows where it will lead me :-k :)

Thank you sir :D

The way I see it is that the LP to me is the perfect shape for a guitar (which is why I own so many and love them).. BUT that shape has been done to death really so I figure I need to do something just slightly different.. Gibson already make the perfect LP, im not even gonna try and compete with that ;)

But as been said.. im still experimenting really so who knows where it will lead me :-k :)

Thank you for posting content like this..... And I'll agree with you that the Gibson Les Paul is the perfect guitar.... Especially the ones that Gibson pumping out now IMO

Hello and welcome to today's update :)

Today I did some testing for the bridge and tailpiece as well as some finer details around the body...

So I started off with some scrap wood (oh yes, I have decided on the black hardware for this build now :)). And tested that I could get the position right (as you get pretty much zero room for error on this)...

test 1.. not bad but the tailpiece measurement was slightly out..

DSC04869_zpsecdbaf12.jpg

DSC04870_zps1b8006b9.jpg

test 2. I just did the tailpiece.. and got it spot one :D

DSC04871_zpse5d8160e.jpg

test 3.... BINGO!!

DSC04874_zps451ff722.jpg

So im now ready to do that on the body which I will tomorrow.

Also I noticed a cool feature with this Wilkinson TOM bridge.. The slots for the pole pieces are not round but more of an oval shape which means that you can drill it straight and then use the room you have for intonation... COOL [thumbup]

DSC04876_zps1986e908.jpg

DSC04877_zpsc5fd4333.jpg

So that's all set and ready for tomorrow.. I then just went about finely tuning the body and neck...

The horns are an area that is hard to get at, and with files it just takes so long to get anywhere as this is a hard wood..

DSC04878_zpsf52a329a.jpgDSC04879_zps70ee034d.jpg

So I get my friend the Dremel tool out which has a barrel sanding attachment (type thing)

DSC04880_zpscfeb4a5f.jpg

MUCH better.. but from this point on I need to start using higher grit sandpapaer and getting any scratches out caused by the low grit paper and files etc

DSC04881_zpsa068a7cd.jpg

More below.

Getting there :)

DSC04883_zps1eaa9f96.jpg

Even with my Dremel tool theres still some areas that need the fine touch of a file

DSC04885_zps469f4215.jpg

and im almost happy with this now [thumbup]

DSC04888_zpsd16dda83.jpg

DSC04893_zpscc621362.jpg

Also this is why I love taking pictures... you can see here that there are two small humps on the neck which will need smoothing out.. That was really hard to see in the garage (I really need more light :)).. You can see an ever so slight hump at point A and a bigger one at point B.. Easy enough to fix :)

DSC04895_zps34e6fad1.jpg

I then decide to re-try my tuners as I didn't try them again the other day when I thinned the headstock down a bit

SWEET! :) (REALLY happy with these tuners)

DSC04905_zps9815a774.jpg

DSC04908_zpsc361ce0f.jpg

DSC04909_zps3900c2fd.jpg

I should actually finish at some point this week... EXCITING!! ;)

DSC04912_zps80579524.jpg

DSC04914_zpse5f05b0b.jpg

So that's all for today.. Tomorrow when I get the bridge on I will string it up and see where we are at [thumbup]

More then... and as ever, thanks for watching [thumbup]

I'm really liking that black hardware on there Rabs. Nice look!

Cheers man... and don't forget those pickups ;)

Yeah im really liking it too.. Its almost a shame I have all this chrome hardware sitting about.. I just want to use this black hw :)

Im sure some of the finishes will require the chrome though.. But if I am indeed to finish this naturally then I think the black hw looks good [thumbup]

Ive been playing about with that online guitar editor.. hows this for a design? :)

Image1_zps4be6535a.jpg

Hello all... and welcome again...

Today I was going to drill the bridge holes BUT I was just not 100% sure of the specifications (apart from the scale length) and as much as I could probably have done a good job by eye, I decided to bring one of my guitars tomorrow for reference.. Mainly the gap between the TOM and tailpiece.

So instead I started on the input jack and the control cavity.

A quick couple of tests to make sure I know what im doing (even though its just one hole lol :) I just wanted to make sure I had the right sized drill bit for the job (22 mm).

DSC04915_zps52df171c.jpg

So that was easy enough.. now to do it on the guitar. You may notice now that I have a towel on the bench as I this point I really don't want any unnecessary scratches

DSC04920_zpsa4f8e313.jpg

It was a little worrying, this body is quite thin and the input jack plate JUST fits on...

DSC04922_zps810e22a5.jpg

But all sorted [thumbup]

DSC04929_zps52721766.jpg

DSC04925_zps3c36aebc.jpg

DSC04926_zps39be7140.jpg

more below

So now to start sorting out where my cavities and switches will be eactly

I know that this is the rough area I want the cavity

DSC04931_zpsb9f2e260.jpg

But really its where the controls will be on the front that will dictate the back so I draw (VERY) rough positions

DSC04933_zps950dc6bb.jpg

I then realise that I have to take the input jack into consideration (duhhh! :))

DSC04934_zps9e35177b.jpg

So this MAY work but im not going to take the chance

DSC04935_zps264b2fbc.jpg

DSC04936_zps73a05526.jpg

So I try repositioning the knobs

DSC04937_zps86bf4baf.jpg

And a slightly different position on the back which looks like it will work

DSC04938_zps0344ee83.jpg

However before I go further I decide that it best I come back home and do a bit more research and looking at pictures before I finalise it..

So tomorrow I will bring my LP DC Junior Special along as reference and will do the bridge and maybe the control cavity too... Im just awaiting some pickup templates that should be here within a couple of days then we are REALLY close.

More tomorrow :) and as always, thanks for watching [thumbup]

Archived