Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

Rabs,

What if you guitars are so good that they eventually put Gibson out of business? Wouldn't you feel bad, as you began this project on their site?

Haha.. lol if that happens I will buy Gibson and let you all order a free custom built Guitar of your choice ;)

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting excited now!

I know... exciting and slightly scary... this is about where we were on the last build before it died.... Of course I don't have any neck setting issues with this build (well lets see what happens when I put the strings on :)).. Just the pups, controls and wiring to drill and that's all the major woodwork jobs done.. :D

When im done, before I finish it I gotta do a vid of this thing playing, its been way too long... [thumbup]

It's really coming along nicely! I can see the finish line fella :D

Cheers man :)

And yes its close.. I had to stop this week though as when I tried to work on Thursday my back was just sore (from bending over that tiny bench).. So plans are hatching to empty the garage and get me a proper work bench..

But hopefully I will be back at it Monday [thumbup]

Hello all...

So I just thought id update this thread for anyone wondering whats going on as im so near the end of this build..

Annoyingly this keeps happening, I get really far, all excited as I see the end and something happens to stop my progress..

This time however its a good thing going on.. Firstly I am awaiting some bits in the post (mainly a smaller drill bit to go through the body for the wiring) BUT even bigger and better is that the garage im working in is like the family area for dumping stuff and my mum is a classic hoarder lol (much to my fathers annoyance at not having a garage space for the last 20 years or so :)).

But the last few days I have been cleaning it up, taking stuff to the charity shops and trying to make room for a proper work bench as mentioned above my back just wont take being hunched over that tiny bench I have... So this is all for a great purpose..

So this is how it looked last week. Pretty much all of the stuff in the racks on the left and at the back has been sitting there for years.. The idea being to at least move the racks on the left totally out of there which will give me a nice area to work

20140124_152839_zpsf75507fe.jpg

And this is how it looks after the last few days (lol I know, still a mess).. One rack totally clear and another should get done tomorrow. The reason this is all going so slow is that I have my mum watching over me to make sure I don't throw anything important away (if my dad had his way he'd just dump the lot of it ;))

20140127_152503_zps367915c2.jpg

So at the moment im concentrating on that and looking out for a cheap second hand bench to work on :)

But hopefully I will be back at my build ASAP cos I REALLY wanna get this one finished...

Well more soon..

And as ever thanks for watching [thumbup]

Ok.. so we are as tidy as its going to get this week but I have removed two shelving units so I have MUCH more room and I even have another shelf that I have cleared so all my powertools sit on that now... now I just need to find a suitable (and cheap enough) work bench.

DSC05035_zps039d86e7.jpg

DSC05037_zpsdc58655b.jpg

Also I have that new bit I was waiting for

DSC05042_zps52188db7.jpg

DSC05043_zps2e4bdad0.jpg

Soooo... back to the build tomorrow and I can start getting excited again [thumbup]

More then.. :)

And hello again one and all :)

First I must say that this will be a long update but hopefully worth it... :)

So today I pretty much finished all of the major woodwork WOOOOooo!! [thumbup] and heres how it happened.

As I think I mentioned I did get some templates but to be honest I wasn't that happy with the Humbucker one.. It looks like this, you can see it leaves quite a gap there

DSC05046_zps3122c6dc.jpg

So I decided to look at my own template again

DSC05051_zps4e84dcd3.jpg

and it fits pretty well with a ring around it

DSC05053_zps8d98cf6f.jpg

and this is what the other template looks like with the ring on.. not bad actually but I still prefer my one :)

DSC05055_zps8ce0a4c5.jpg

This kind of shows that my template needs some work so I level all the sides out with a file

DSC05059_zps054b65cb.jpg

and the P90 one is ok

DSC05063_zpsca0dbaab.jpg

So I start to drill the humbucker cavity out but the bit im using (as well as leaving burn marks)is a bit too big for the corners

DSC05071_zpsf6bc4572.jpg

So I use a smaller bit (and its a newer one too) and HEY PRESTO! :D

DSC05074_zps318da3d6.jpg

Right down the middle [thumbup]

DSC05084_zpsfa3ea810.jpg

Then the P90 cavity and they are both it YAY

DSC05085_zpsbadf88ba.jpg

MUCH more below

Both at a nice height (I may lower the Humbucker slightly

DSC05086_zpsf15de633.jpg

So all looking good :) (that smaller bit cleaned up all that burning

DSC05087_zps63d2b067.jpg

Then for the wiring channel

DSC05089_zpse9f0b71e.jpg

I try and get it so it swipes past the humbucker cavity and goes into the P90 one

DSC05090_zps785fe069.jpg

Sweet sweet success :D

DSC05097_zps9d20206d.jpg

DSC05099_zps9eeaaa7c.jpg

Next is the pots and toggle switch

So I position them

DSC05102_zps1e4fcceb.jpg

I did use a rule to check the spacing :)

DSC05105_zpsa328db16.jpg

so 70mm and 70mm .. that's good

DSC05106_zpsd2a61d45.jpg

And do the same for the space between 50mm and 50mm

DSC05107_zpsccaaf029.jpg

DSC05108_zps6bba685f.jpg

To make sure I get the position right I drill from the back, just until I get through then I drill from the front side for a cleaner hole and I do that with all of the pots and toggle switch

DSC05109_zps115aeb17.jpg

DSC05110_zps96959844.jpg

DSC05111_zps8aa4dce1.jpg

At this point I realise that the wood is a bit thick

DSC05113_zpsd08c5254.jpg

So I route a bit deeper

DSC05114_zps74df947f.jpg

Even mooore below :)

And perfect... so much that I can even use a normal 3 way toggle switch (and use that black one I have)

DSC05122_zps3d91bfe0.jpg

And so are you ready for this... All the hardware on (apart from the input jack.. I knew I forgot something :))

(and I don't intend to use those top hats.. they just happened to be lying about)

DSC05126_zps737ca737.jpg

DSC05127_zpsc4232f92.jpg

DSC05133_zpsd5247462.jpg

DSC05138_zps92550caf.jpg

As you can see... not looking bad... If im honest the position of that top volume knob is out by a mm or so... but its not in the way of anything.. We will see what it looks like when I get some smaller knobs.. I want some black metal ones if I can find any.

So there you go.. pretty much one guitar built.. Of course I still have to wire and string it up.. but that's all the major wood work done :D Woooooo! Yay!!

Now I just have to decide how to finish it :-k

More very soon :)

Guest Farnsbarns

Seems you've had a good day, Rabs. Just a lick of solder and it's playable. I'm sure you went over it but I'm no reading back through... What's the finish going to be again?

Seems you've had a good day, Rabs. Just a lick of solder and it's playable. I'm sure you went over it but I'm no reading back through... What's the finish going to be again?

Cheers man, it was a good day :).. And yes its VERY close...

As for finish well that's a slight issue still.. I don't have a heated area I can use and in this weather spraying Nito wont come out well... Soooo.. probably a tru oil finish... BUT I also wanted to use a veneer maybe and im not sure if I then colour that veneer if Tru oil will work with it or not???? If not then I have to finish them natural with oil...

I guess my best option is to test first.. maybe use that first build that failed and try it on that first and see what happens? (probably the sensible thing to do :))

I will have to think more on that..

Looks great! I get excited every time i see a reply to this thread! I'm all in on your updates even if I don't respond.

Thanks man...

The support is appreciated, it helps to keep me going... We are almost there :)

[thumbup]

You have come a LONG way,and it is looking great.

How about using a light flame to raise the grain, then light sand, then clear coat.

Just enough clear finish to seal it, but not enough to fill in all the wood grain

It would give a "rustic" look to it.

You have sure worked your arse off on this one, you should be proud of the work you have done, and with just the basic tools also.

You have come a LONG way,and it is looking great.

How about using a light flame to raise the grain, then light sand, then clear coat.

Just enough clear finish to seal it, but not enough to fill in all the wood grain

It would give a "rustic" look to it.

You have sure worked your arse off on this one, you should be proud of the work you have done, and with just the basic tools also.

Thank you very much for the kind words :)

Yeah I am still in a muddle on how to exactly finish this.. BUT as I say I have the first "door" guitar that I can at least experiment on first before I go and ruin all of this work :unsure: :)

I think Tru Oil is probably the way.

But im going to look into a few things over the next couple of days and work it out.. Plus I still have to fine sand the whole guitar first and make sure the nut is ok.. so theres still a few small things to do.

And again.. thank you to you and everyone else who watches and comments.. its very much appreciated [thumbup]

Sweet!!!!!! That looks sweet indeed sir. Are you going to paint or stain?

Cheers man... and as discussed... I do have several cans of nitro and many stains BUT cant use the nitro in the cold and damp (which it is over here).. So I may have to opt for a natural oil finish on this first batch of guitars until it gets warmer and I can spray or if I happen to find a heated work space I can use.

Ideally id like to use a veneer too so I can give them nice flamey tops (I have a REALLY nice flamed walnut veneer to use.

But im not sure if the veneer will take an oil finish or not??

So I will test it out and see what happens on the first guitar I tried to make.

The proverbial 'Light at the End of the Tunnel' is getting brighter and brighter.

It's just like watching one's favourite serial on the telly!

I'll tune in later on to see if there are any updates but as you habitually seem to post in the 'wee small hours' I might have to wait until tomorrow to catch the next instalment...

Excellent Job!

[thumbup]

P.

The proverbial 'Light at the End of the Tunnel' is getting brighter and brighter.

It's just like watching one's favourite serial on the telly!

I'll tune in later on to see if there are any updates but as you habitually seem to post in the 'wee small hours' I might have to wait until tomorrow to catch the next instalment...

Excellent Job!

[thumbup]

P.

Thank you sir :)

And yes I am very much a night owl.. I tend to post the updates just after dinner (about 8/9pm for me) but then im usually up fairly late as I prefer the night times.

And well im now going to have to wait for some of that Tru Oil to turn up before I can carry on much further with this build.. There is fine sanding to do.. need to finish the fret ends still and just a tiny bit of shaping here and there.. I will re-visit the neck and make sure im happy with that..

But probably I will try a test veneer on that build 1 (the door guitar) and do some colour testing and when that tru oil arrives try it on that veneer and maybe some stain to see if it takes and none of it effects the other badly in any way.

Or I guess I have several more builds to get on with in the mean time (and a bunch of wooden boxes to do up, AND those guitars I bought at the car boot sales last year) :D

Well hello again all...

Today we have an exciting video update to go along with the pics.. So check this out :)

Yes, I decided that I should string her up today as if anything major is out of alignment by any chance I should address that before I finish it me thinks :)

So first things first.. Do the strings sit well on the headstock and not hit each other ..... YUP :)

DSC05143_zpsab82601c.jpg

Then, do the strings go over the pole pieces... and fit ok on the fretboard... YUP AGAIN :D

DSC05150_zps3d133222.jpg

Sweet... (even if I do say so myself)

DSC05153_zps8affa8e2.jpg

DSC05161_zps8cf1b172.jpg

String height is mostly ok... I will need to get at the nut just a tiny bit and lower the fret slots later..

DSC05162_zpsbb2fc5b9.jpg

DSC05166_zpscf9df0d2.jpg

So now are you ready for this video update... Now please bare in mind this guitar has had NO set up what so ever.. The trussrod, bridge and nut will all need looking at.. But today is just a test to see where im at.. Also all I had as a pick was a penny so it sounds a bit shrill cos of that attack you get with a metal pick (also I had no tuner on me so tuned by ear, so, sorry if it sounds out a bit :unsure: )

So ladies and gentlemen, I introduce the first playable (if only acoustically) Rabswood guitar [thumbup]

So what do you think of that? There was a bit of buzzing going on, but that's to be expected at this stage. Also by doing this I now know I need to get the neck just a slightly thinner...

Also today I looked at those other neckthroughs I have on the go to see if I can transfer this body shape over (as im pretty happy with it)

DSC05168_zpsbbb042f6.jpg

JUST about fits on the Oak build

DSC05169_zps0d20e2d2.jpg

And almost fits on the second mahogany body.. the bottom horn doesn't fit so that one will be a slightly different shape.

DSC05172_zps6f840576.jpg

And look at the thickness of those compared to the one im working on..

DSC05174_zps679c6ae6.jpg

Anyway.. that is all for today.. I hope you enjoyed the little vid (despite my playing :P).. Soon we will hear what it really sounds like when I wire up Mr Searcy's pups and plug her in.. That will be a cool day..

More soon..

Cheers [thumbup]

Archived