Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that heel joint on #1 is looking super smooth and very playable. [thumbup]

Cheers man.. and yeah im pretty happy with the neck (and that heal area).. Id have liked to have made it slightly slimmer but dare not take the risk since its ok.. not massively chunky but not quite as slim as I wanted.

Hello... and welcome back fellow guitar people (and everyone else :))

Today we have more finishing of the main build... And that Oak build is really coming along now, just a few more holes to drill and it will also be ready for finishing :D

So heres how we are looking

DSC05846_zpsed6848b0.jpg

DSC05853_zps71ca5be0.jpg

So I added another coat to the front and left that to dry... so while that's going on, on with the Oak build

We left it yesterday where I wasn't that happy.. Well I sorted it out now and its ok...

So I decided to chisel the remaining bits out... as really its easier than trying to make a template for it

DSC05862_zps27cd0bf1.jpg

And its looking ok.. will need a bit of fine tuning around the edge.. but its ok :)

DSC05865_zps69eec811.jpg

DSC05867_zps02f3c936.jpg

Now the whole point of this was so that the puickup sits flush on the top and that has worked [thumbup]

DSC05868_zps6b31e6c6.jpg

And heres how they will sit.. not easy to see on the pic but basically theres a 2mm gap on each side of the pickup.. looks ok. Maybe I will sand the sides down and slope it or something.. I will wait till I see them in before I make any decisions like that

DSC05873_zpsb55a4ea3.jpg

Now what I have to do is route out room for the pole pieces and the wire

DSC05876_zps8dbbba21.jpg

So I just did it by hand with the router.. doesn't beed to be 100% accurate.. am happy with that :D

DSC05879_zps995a3ec9.jpg

Now for the control cavity.. I mark the front to see roughly where to place it

DSC05880_zps4f13b03a.jpg

More below

Then mark it on the back

DSC05882_zps55e17627.jpg

and go for it :D.. however I was LUCKY.. look how close I got to the edge of the body.. phew.. that could have been bad

DSC05886_zps07ee4ea1.jpg

This time I have moved the top screw ledge bit so it will give me more room to place the pots

DSC05890_zps4eac8296.jpg

I have also put the bridge holes in.. going for that Gibson wraparound that I got of the LP Junior (thanks Clark ;)).. Its a bit high but should work fine.. that's the price I paid for using these body mounts

DSC05893_zpsd12c9bd9.jpg

I think this is gonna look pretty sweet

DSC05894_zpsc2687473.jpg

I also put the tuners on.. man. yet again, that was CLOSE they juuussttt fit on

DSC05896_zps50f5bc62.jpg

DSC05900_zps33de1947.jpg

So that's all for that build for today.. tomorrow I will drill for the pots, the input jack and the wiring channel and its almost ready :D

So hows the main build looking after its third coat

DSC05914_zpsc71beb1f.jpg

DSC05915_zps3f3a051f.jpg

DSC05922_zpsec74e251.jpg

Sweet... so more finishing tomorrow.. I think maybe two more coats will get me where I want. We will see how it goes.. And then that oak build should be done this week too.. So I will have a second guitar too finish .. YAY :D

Hope your all still enjoying and more soon.

[thumbup]

hello and welcome back...

Today we see the oak build pretty much finished and a few more pics of how the main build is coming with its tru oil.

So I need to get some wiring channels in there to the bridge and the pickups... So I make some nice lines to line up my long bit with

DSC05930_zps79a1b903.jpg

DSC05931_zps380e8727.jpg

and we have three wiring channels :D

DSC05935_zpsa2ab895b.jpg

sweet

DSC05937_zpsbdc07b5d.jpg

Just the right size really, only one wire is coming out of each hole.. [thumbup]

DSC05939_zpsf5b1d980.jpg

So lets go have a quick look how the oil is doing.. This finish really is feeling just like a lacquer now.. really pleased with it

DSC05940_zpse4b096c2.jpg

DSC05946_zps3bed3fb0.jpg

Now this is sort of interesting... I decided to check that the jack fits (as I actually haven't tried that yet.. On the main build its just right

DSC05947_zps6dcab540.jpg

On the oak one.. not so much.. this really just means that I need to be careful where I place the pots and make sure its not in the way

DSC05949_zps0a652bec.jpg

What I should have done is put it here like I did on the first one.. Not sure why that happened... But again shows you why everything you see on a guitar is designed the way it is..

DSC05950_zps11f5a02f.jpg

Oh well not to worry... I will make sure it all works properly.

More below.

So I do a layout that im happy with

DSC05952_zpsac22f757.jpg

and they are in :D (300k CTS pots)

DSC05953_zpse0542e00.jpg

Sooo.. here we are... guitar No2 almost ready.. All I need to do now is some fret and nut work.. I also went a the neck profile a bit and am REALLY happy with how this one feels

DSC05955_zps3a5b8dfc.jpg

DSC05956_zps3ca73022.jpg

So lets do the wet test that shows (very roughly) what it will look like with some finish on.. Ohhh that's gonna be stunning

DSC05967_zps9299cdcd.jpg

DSC05970_zps7df2cf19.jpg

I also checked what sort of pup height I will have... I think I may have gone a little too far... (any comments on that Searcy? (or anyone else).. I will think about that.

DSC05972_zps6733fb64.jpg

I can always add a top to it if need be?

Anyway.. so that's looking good... Now quickly back to the main build

DSC05976_zpsa43d7dda.jpg

DSC05977_zps1a8658dc.jpg

One or two more coats and we are done I think.. [thumbup] Then I will leave it a few days to get hard.. then the buff up, then the wiring [scared] :D

More tomrorrow [thumbup]

Hello...

Just a quick one today...

Another couple of coats... All looking good.. Should finish this tomorrow.. Then I think I will just leave it alone for a few days to really dry.. Then I buff her up and put it all together :D

20140220_144104_zps66fa7d95.jpg

20140220_144124_zps0d3b5997.jpg

More soon [thumbup]

Hello and welcome back :) (and welcome anyone new [thumbup] )

Today I did what was probably the final coat of Tru Oil on the main build and did some testing for the Decal transfer which I have to finish the guitar off (a RabsWood one)...

So heres what is now my test guitar (the pine one).. I got this decal almost a year ago now when I had something totally different in mind.. Im not going to use anything like this on my new builds but it was good to have it so I could do this test.

Now what you do with these is soak them in water for a minute or so, then slide the decal off and into the right position.

DSC05980_zps42f5ecef.jpg

You can see that when you look at it from the right angle its easy to see... What you do is basically spray clear lacquer over it and then build that up until you cant see the edge of the decal any more...

DSC05984_zpsdf3ec8b2.jpg

Here if you look at it at another angle you can see what it will look like when you cant see the edge

DSC05985_zps686f0ca8.jpg

So what I wanted to test is what the Tru Oil would do to the decal (which I kind of knew what would happen)and I was right, it totally ate it up

DSC05991_zpsb326fa78.jpg

So that means that I will just have to use Nitro just for the headstock and will just have to hope that theres not too much colour difference to the body...

But im glad I tested it anyway, now I know for certain.

So now just a few shots of the main build.. Its looking really dark and deep now.. Im thinking maybe even one or two more coats may just make it pop even more.. We will see on Sunday what it looks like after a couple of days to really dry out.

DSC05992_zps7536cc86.jpg

DSC05993_zps06e4b996.jpg

DSC05994_zps244d6b20.jpg

I really like this shot, it shows the contrast between the top and the body quite well [thumbup]

DSC05996_zps60c35b9b.jpg

Sweet :D

So that's all for today.. have a great weekend one and all and more on this soon. (nearly wiring up time ;))

Cheers [thumbup]

Rabs, I've actually used water slip decals under TruOil. I print these off on my printer using water slip paper. Once it's printed you have to spray the decal sheet with some clear coat to "set" the ink. I use Minwax poly in a spray can. Once the clear coat is dry you can apply the decal. After a half hour or so you can TruOil right over it. It's best to go ahead and get a nice finish on the head stock first then apply the decal. Then build up a nice thick coat of TruOil over the decal.

1625601_750175795006354_232598891_n.jpg

Rabs, I've actually used water slip decals under TruOil. I print these off on my printer using water slip paper. Once it's printed you have to spray the decal sheet with some clear coat to "set" the ink. I use Minwax poly in a spray can. Once the clear coat is dry you can apply the decal. After a half hour or so you can TruOil right over it. It's best to go ahead and get a nice finish on the head stock first then apply the decal. Then build up a nice thick coat of TruOil over the decal.

That's very interesting.. cheers for that.. I will give it a try [thumbup]

Looking good but please, you're killing me, just bloody finish it! [biggrin]

Where do you get the decals from?

Yes.. Soon man.... I just want to make sure I do it properly so I take my time.

And the decals come from this place http://shop.rothkoandfrost.co.uk/ .. The guy who does them is really good and will work on the design with you [thumbup]

Sorry man.. I just got notice that my PhotoBucket account is about to be shut down because I'm using too much bandwidth. Let's try something else.

Cheers for that [thumbup]

And its funny you should say that about your photobucket account.. I got the same email yesterday...

BUT I was lucky that as it resets the limit each month, that reset happened today otherwise my pictures may have disappeared.

When it was done I just sprayed it with layers of Poly till it was thick enough to hide the seams but you can do it with TruOil too. I think your problem is that the decals arn't set with a clear coat.

VERY cool inlays there.. nice work [thumbup] I like the design.

And yeah I think I have one more spare one somewhere I can use that to try it on.. Thanks again, very useful info there :)

Archived