Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

Guest Farnsbarns

That's made my mind up about how I'm going to make face plates for both of my amp builds. Having done some googling I've found that you can slowly heat the decals to 230 centigrade in the oven and it bakes on hard, good for a faceplate, not so clever on a headstock.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's made my mind up about how I'm going to make face plates for both of my amp builds. Having done some googling I've found that you can slowly heat the decals to 230 centigrade in the oven and it bakes on hard, good for a faceplate, not so clever on a headstock.

True. Though I'm not sure about the 230. I know some guys bake their pedals in toaster ovens to seal up their art real tight.

HELLO all .. and welcome back..

Yesterday I just did more polishing.. didn't have much time to work...

But today I did the headstock decal and started the layering of the Tru Oil on the head and put all the hardware in properly (apart from the tuners)...

So thanks to Mr Searcy's advice (thanks so much man, that was great advice [thumbup] ) I sprayed some clear poly type stuff over the decals which we want to do to stop the ink coming off when I try to oil over it. I had one more spare that I was going to use all when this was less serious and me just having a laugh... So I thought just to be sure id do a full test (always best too :))

So, in the water it goes for a min

DSC06071_zps8f988275.jpg

Put it in place and then slide it off a little, then grab the paper while placing your finger (gently) on the bit you have slid off

DSC06072_zps71f2f247.jpg

DSC06073_zpsa5e5af51.jpg

DSC06074_zps2b4bbbb8.jpg

Clear any excess water off by dabbing it gently (these decals are REALLY fragile)

DSC06075_zps1c3e80cb.jpg

And its on... Then I add some tru oil

DSC06078_zpscd108497.jpg

DSC06081_zpseb53e9ca.jpg

And sweet, the ink is staying put (YAY !! :))

DSC06083_zpsc3faf0c4.jpg

So I finally cut out my trussrod hole :D and I put the first layer of oil on to seal the wood

DSC06089_zps4ac48353.jpg

Then I get everything ready

DSC06094_zpsd4810f36.jpg

continued below

Place the decal on the headstock (after cutting it down to size a bit) to make sure I know exactly where I want it.

DSC06097_zps04f8b5b3.jpg

And its on :D

DSC06098_zpsdd966172.jpg

Pretty sweet.. I will now have to build up layers of oil to cover the edges of the decal

DSC06109_zpse70920d3.jpg

So while that's drying I get on with some other stuff.. I had a Trussrod hole cover that ive had for a while.. Its a bit big so I will cut that down to size myself and use an Epiphone type two holes at the nut and one at the other end

DSC06112_zps654dbac0.jpg

DSC06114_zps418b4e4a.jpg

So then I get the electrics out and then realise I cant find my solder iron (doh!! :)) oh well I will have to do that tomorrow. But I have finally decided to go with 500k pots for the humbucker (just so happened to have two Gibson ones) and 300k CTS pots for the P90 with .22 and .47 caps

DSC06118_zps9e2715d5.jpg

DSC06121_zps3f554388.jpg

DSC06124_zps794e9d8b.jpg

So the wiring will happen tomorrow :D

So back to the body. I don't think its going to get any more shiny than this so decide to put all the hardware on properly :D

DSC06127_zpsfa6cee6f.jpg

I use some glue on the studs just to make sure they arnt moving anywhere

DSC06138_zpsf0563780.jpg

even MORE below...

I clean that glue off with a wet towel straight away and it leaves no mess

DSC06140_zpsb1340d0c.jpg

And then I screw the pups in and do all the holes and here we are :)

DSC06141_zpsedb7f30d.jpg

Back to the headstock for a sec... Its looking pretty good but needs more layers

DSC06148_zps5479de3b.jpg

DSC06151_zps827b4c81.jpg

However on closer inspection I can see that the wood under the decal looks like its dried up.. I think this has happened as maybe I should have either waited overnight for the first layer of oil to dry or I should have done another layer before putting the decal on?? :-k But I aint going back. It has now become a feature ;) (my new aged headstock logo, that increases sustain ;))

DSC06155_zps65710998.jpg

It doesn't look terrible at all.. So I keep adding more oil

DSC06162_zps3766957c.jpg

DSC06178_zpsa6c0584c.jpg

And here we are with all hardware on but the tuners :D

DSC06183_zps5744967e.jpg

Im not sure about the height of those knobs :-k Will have a think about that

DSC06188_zps79593319.jpg

But overall looking good :D

DSC06192_zpsb1b9058f.jpg

So the wiring and headstock should actually now get finished tomorrow ... SWEET..

I may not have time to do an update tomorrow though, so I may even report back on Thursday with a video ;)

More soon... We are nearly there folks..

As always thanks for watching.. Its been fun (mostly ;))..

Cheers [thumbup]

very cool and definitely an inspiration for me.......I don't think I have the guts to do one from scratch like you, but am thinking about buying a body and neck and doing the assembly and finish myself!

NHTom

Thank you sir .. That's nice to hear.. :)

And yeah man why not.. that's a good place to start, with a kit. OR you could find a cheap squire or epiphone or such like and sand it down change the wiring, put your own colour and decals and hardware on etc..

Its all fun [thumbup] For me when I first decided to do it as you probably know I got that pine wood from the old doors (you do need a hard wood for the neck though) but I though to myself, what you got to loose? And look where that has lead me in the last year [thumbup] .. You just never know until you try ;)

Guest Farnsbarns

Sooooo close! I can see I'm going to have to have a go on this thing. Giz-a-bell some time soon, be cool to get together, perhaps with the other larndeners.

Sooooo close! I can see I'm going to have to have a go on this thing. Giz-a-bell some time soon, be cool to get together, perhaps with the other larndeners.

Yeah man for sure. Thatd be sweet.. I haven't mentioned it again as the build keeps dragging on (as you may have noticed) so I thought id wait until it was actually done.. And I have a drummer on standby ;)

Hello, good evening and welcome back..

Today I completed the wiring (I hope :))... Took a while to do but that cos im still not brilliant at it.. (by the way, if anyone spots anything well out of place in what ive done, feel free to let me know ;))

But first lets check on that headstock as I cant string it up till that's ready

ALMOST there :D

DSC06197_zps0eae32ab.jpg

So I add some more oil to that and get on with the wiring

DSC06198_zps0d3da85f.jpg

I use a mini alligator clips as a heat sink otherwise you can burn the cap out with the heat of the solder iron if your not careful

DSC06199_zps4aba09c3.jpg

NICE.. You will see im about 50/50. Some of my joints are really clean, some not so much (but not so bad it wont work (hopefully :))

DSC06205_zpsf45b585a.jpg

Now for the jack and toggle switch

DSC06211_zps64b88f4a.jpg

Back to check on the headstock and add some more oil

DSC06212_zps39ff0704.jpg

Almost there

DSC06214_zpsc4b53ffb.jpg

I decide at this point to make sure it will all fit.. even though I know it will as the small but of wodd thing im using to solder everything has the holes in the right position

DSC06217_zpsf5a5a1f8.jpg

Looking good :)

DSC06218_zpsef8db64b.jpg

Now I add an ground lead between each tone and volume pot to make sure its all earthed properly (ohh and I found my little alligator clip stand thing, which helps)

DSC06220_zps62e486f3.jpg

More below

Then I added the ground lead for the bridge (which yes is slightly poking through).. and some insulation for the pickup leads.

DSC06221_zps52586e02.jpg

And then it all goes in

DSC06223_zps0b54a299.jpg

So that's all done now... Also I had a change of heart with the volume/tone knobs.. I now prefer the lower profile of the speed top hat knobs (maybe I should get the round ones?) but that's no issue, can be changed easy enough at any time

DSC06225_zps0a8c4c1f.jpg

DSC06226_zpsd28416ad.jpg

DSC06229_zpscf9761ac.jpg

And the headstock is like 95% there.. Just say three more layers or so

DSC06231_zpseafcc7a2.jpg

DSC06233_zps908e64a1.jpg

that poor fretboard will need some help.. I have some fretboard conditioner and some lemon oil for that...

DSC06241_zps5d154bd9.jpg

So we are looking pretty good.. I just now need to make the trussrod cover and do the final shaping of the back cover plate and we have a complete build :D

More soon (we may even get a video this week ;))

Cheers [thumbup]

Hello all...

today is just a quickie... Still finishing that headstock and you will see its real close now... Also I did the TRC and the back plate which is 97% there.

Also I decided to make sure the guitar balances well with a strap which it really does :)

DSC06245_zps18ca6c30.jpg

Then I did the TRC and also you can see here that the decal is almost invisible now (almost)

DSC06250_zpscbaee011.jpg

DSC06252_zpse2281d37.jpg

DSC06254_zps1dbfdbb5.jpg

And finally for today.. heres a quick vid of me checking the electrics work.. Sounds about right to me [thumbup]

So I should ACTUALLY finish tomorrow :)

more then.. and as always thanks for watching [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello all...

today is just a quickie... Still finishing that headstock and you will see its real close now... Also I did the TRC and the back plate which is 97% there.

Also I decided to make sure the guitar balances well with a strap which it really does :)

DSC06245_zps18ca6c30.jpg

Then I did the TRC and also you can see here that the decal is almost invisible now (almost)

DSC06250_zpscbaee011.jpg

DSC06252_zpse2281d37.jpg

DSC06254_zps1dbfdbb5.jpg

And finally for today.. heres a quick vid of me checking the electrics work.. Sounds about right to me [thumbup]

So I should ACTUALLY finish tomorrow :)

more then.. and as always thanks for watching [thumbup]

[thumbup] indeed!

Just a word to the wise. That screwdriver either has a carbide tip or it's magnetic. If the latter, keep it away from your pups.

[thumbup] indeed!

Just a word to the wise. That screwdriver either has a carbide tip or it's magnetic. If the latter, keep it away from your pups.

Whoops.. duly noted.... cheers man [thumbup] (im not sure if it is magnetic or not, will check tomorrow).

I am SO psyched to see/hear the finished product! Aesthetically it looks BEAUTIFUL!

I bet you're more excited than any of us! :)

Thank you mamm :)

And yes I have a whole load of mixed feelings at the moment.. It kind of doesn't feel real if you know what I mean... But yes mostly I cant wait to finally get this thing playing [thumbup]

Small update coming soon.. and I have decided to leave the headstock to properly dry and WILL.. I say I actually will 100%v for sure, proper string this up on Sunday and will do a vid for all of you patient folk who have been watching :)

After this of course we need to then see how long it will take me to do my next one ;)

Good evening all and welcome.

So just another quickie today.. I did the last bits of plastic shaping and continued layering the headstock... And now we are at a point where I am just giving the headstock a good day or so to harden and dry properly.. Then this time really truly and honestly (:)) I will be string this up on Sunday :D (there really is nothing else to be done now but the tuners and the stringing).

So.. here we go, the last build update until you guys see the video :D [thumbup] (about blimmin time)

So I drilled holes into the truss rod cover

DSC06256_zpsa9259e64.jpg

Now you can see here when you do this you really need to countersink the holes a bit so that the screw top isn't sticking out so far

DSC06260_zps3988863b.jpg

Real easy to do... literally just take a few spins with my drill and the countersink bit.. All you have to make sure about is that you don't go to far and that when you drill the holes your a good mm or two from the edge (or it will crack)

DSC06262_zps26fd1fa7.jpg

Sweet

DSC06265_zps86e0412d.jpg

Decided to colour the white bits in (with a permanent marker) cos I don't like the way that looked

DSC06267_zps84bf4b1c.jpg

The headstock logo is pretty much there.. I am of course being ultra anal as usual with my work. Some would probably leave it there but I want just another couple of coats

DSC06272_zps78e633a5.jpg

So I also finished shaping the backplate and did the countersink thing

DSC06273_zps2c7de3f1.jpg

Actually looking at this pic that top left one could do with a tad more countersinking.. apart from that its all good

DSC06274_zps8ef192b4.jpg

So next... lets lemon that fretboard up :)

DSC06288_zps8111b8d8.jpg

More below

Archived