Gibson Brands Forums

I guess this is proof...

GuitarJunkie

Hey i checked it and it says "product discontinued or no longer available" but if i search it in either guitar center, zzounds, samash, or musiciansfriend, it does show up and with price and no notification about it being discontinued... where did you find this? (actually zzounds doesnt have any but honey burst says "comming on monday 10 march" and the other colors say "comming soon".

Is there someone at gibson that can clear this up? I´d really like to know because i just got a honney burst in december and was really looking forward to getting a tobaco burst!

I think as long as they have stock' date=' they'll list it as available, but as soon as they run out of a particular color then it's listed as discontinued since they can't get any more.[/quote']

That's how it works. And the 60s neck was discontinued last year.

What a shame. It's a sweet guitar at a great price point. They've taken the standard out of the realm of affordable (well still not that inexpensive) guitars. Did you check out the MSRP's on the new site? Ouch! It will be interesting to see what happens at retail over the next couple of months.

I'm glad I got my Tobacco Sunburst. Now I have two limited run Gibsons.... the standard faded and a '67 SG Special Reissue with P90s. I wonder how many standard faded with the 60's neck were made?

I went to the local shop today to see about ordering a faded Honeyburst. They called the canadian distributor and they said they have no more faded LPs in any color with either the 50s or 60s neck. In other words, whatever is hanging on the wall of your local shop is it (at least in Canada).

deepblue1963...

I play every guitar I own especially my Gibsons. Some I don't bring to certain gigs. That said, there are many factors I consider before spending my hard-earned $$s on a guitar. Personally, tone, playability and looks are the biggest factors. After that, and Gibson guitars are a great example, if a guitar retains or gains value that's a good thing. Also, I like having guitars that not everyone else owns. Believe or not.... a guitar is a thing of value.... not just financial!

L&M in Ottawa said the location on Steeles ave. in North York had a honeyburst/50s neck. I called to ask what kind of top it had, but got the "Idunno... looks pretty cool... I guess... =P~ " It didn't fill me with confidence.

On an unrelated note, they had an inventory clearance sale this morning and I picked up a used Traynor YCV-40 as a back-up amp for $299!!!!

I just called Gibson 2 minutes ago and asked again, explaining that on several forums there are guys saying the rep told them they are discontinued, other guys claiming their rep said they're not.

He looked at his 2008 Gibson price list, last updated on january 17th, and they are still being built but only with the '50s neck. That explains MF showing them as discontinued in the above link.

Archived