Gibson Brands Forums

On a Tele kick lately.

heymisterk

For whatever reason, I used to make fun of Fender Telecasters: compared to a LP or SG, they seemed like whimpy guitars.

But a couple of years ago - under the tutelage of my arch-enemy NeoCon, who I assume has been cursing non-stop since November 7 - I picked up this MIM Tele:

IMG_0042.jpg

Since I (re)started taking lessons, this has become my main axe. This initially was due in part to it being a "beater" import guitar that I could lug to lessons and not care about dinging up or about the crazy OH weather. And it was in part to the this Tele having the absolute most comfortable neck of any guitar I have ever played. It also stays in tune amazingly well.

This guitar's sound has really grown on me. While I know it's not a MIA Tele, I still LOVE the sounds I get from this guitar. I used to think Tele's were only suited for twangy country pickers and Bruce Springsteen. (Ignoring, of course, Keith Richards, Rich Robinson, and Page in the early days.)

Quite frankly, after the sound of P-90s, I prefer the sound of this guitar to any other guitar so far. I lovethe brightness that the single-coils deliver. Pushed through my Mesa, it breaks up quite nicely; through my SuperFuzz, the tonal rainbow becomes nearly infinite.

I don't think I will ever convince people who live and die by humbuckers that a Tele is the greatest guitar ever. And yeah, it can sound a little "thin" at times.

But boy, does it sound sweeeeet to me.

You just wait until your first mod... It's like a guitar player's pilgrimage to Mecca.

rW1CK.jpg

Ive got a squier vintage modified tele custom and have modded it extensively. Thing is I dont know when to stop. Only thing thats now stock is the actually body and neck. Its become the guitar that I go to when I want to learn how things work or sound. I really have learnt a lot since I started modding and havent looked back (apart from to thing about if I made an aleady cheap guitar now worthless dry.gif)

I dunno...

I'd much prefer a Gibbie type fingerboard radius.

But played well, the pups on a Tele can do quite well for about any music.

Alas, no 14" radius teles with neck "feel" I prefer are out there. But it's enough different with the original pup configuration it'd almost be worth buying even with a Fender neck. Not enough, but almost.

m

I play mostly heavy rock or metal stuff so I used to hate the Telecaster...til I played one. I played differently on it. So i bought it. I also can make it sound really heavy and its fun to play some single coil metal!

I really like my Tele. It's easy to play but challenging at the same time.

For whatever reason, I used to make fun of Fender Telecasters: compared to a LP or SG, they seemed like whimpy guitars.

But a couple of years ago - under the tutelage of my arch-enemy NeoCon, who I assume has been cursing non-stop since November 7 - I picked up this MIM Tele:

Since I (re)started taking lessons, this has become my main axe. This initially was due in part to it being a "beater" import guitar that I could lug to lessons and not care about dinging up or about the crazy OH weather. And it was in part to the this Tele having the absolute most comfortable neck of any guitar I have ever played. It also stays in tune amazingly well.

This guitar's sound has really grown on me. While I know it's not a MIA Tele, I still LOVE the sounds I get from this guitar. I used to think Tele's were only suited for twangy country pickers and Bruce Springsteen. (Ignoring, of course, Keith Richards, Rich Robinson, and Page in the early days.)

Quite frankly, after the sound of P-90s, I prefer the sound of this guitar to any other guitar so far. I lovethe brightness that the single-coils deliver. Pushed through my Mesa, it breaks up quite nicely; through my SuperFuzz, the tonal rainbow becomes nearly infinite.

I don't think I will ever convince people who live and die by humbuckers that a Tele is the greatest guitar ever. And yeah, it can sound a little "thin" at times.

Mim Teles are one of the best values in guitars you will find. They are almost identical to an American other than maybe a nut and some slightly warmer pickups its essentially the same git at half the price (sometimes cheaper). I had one and traded it for my strat but i would gladly buy another. The 52 tele or American Deluxe are the models ive had my eye on but you cant go wrong on a mim, they sound and feel incredible.

Imo, every guitar player should own a Strat, Tele and Les Paul, its the holy trinity of guitars to me. Ive heard page play a tele, clapton play a les paul, and gary moore play a strat. All sounded incredible using instruments theyre not normally associated with.

Imo, every guitar player should own a Strat, Tele and Les Paul, its the holy trinity of guitars to me. Ive heard page play a tele, clapton play a les paul, and gary moore play a strat. All sounded incredible using instruments theyre not normally associated with.

What, no SG love? Sg isn't in the trinity?

Darling, I think those guys could ROCK on a First Act. [lol]

Here is one of my favorite Prince guitar moments ever.

Check the Tele. Prince has always had love for Tele.

can't seem to insert vids lately, sorry

Thats some sweet tones prince is churning out and what a gorgeous instrument it is. I noticed Jeff Lynne has a nice tele as well tho his has the rosewood fretboard, always been a fan of his music also.

Awwwww c'mon....

The three "must have" "electric" guitars should instead be the SG (HB or P90, your choice), a 335 variation (HB or P90, your choice) and a full hollow such as the ES175. Among Fenders the prime is the Tele followed by the Jag and then Jazzmaster - but all have too short a fingerboard radius and ain't in the top 6 I figure are mandatory. I've never owned one and I've had literally dozens of variants of my 3 over the past 50 years.

Then the three "must" acoustic - all should be AE IMHO - would be a good steel string small body/parlor, Gibson/Epi or Martin depending on the neck shape you like; a dread either D-size Martin or J45 variant Gibbie/Epi; and finally a good AE nylon string.

My six will cover just about any music any time, any where, from Bach to Beatles, Bill Monroe to Joe Pass and Jobim - and whether or not there's any electricity.

m

Awwwww c'mon....

The three "must have" "electric" guitars should instead be the SG (HB or P90, your choice), a 335 variation (HB or P90, your choice) and a full hollow such as the ES175. Among Fenders the prime is the Tele followed by the Jag and then Jazzmaster - but all have too short a fingerboard radius and ain't in the top 6 I figure are mandatory. I've never owned one and I've had literally dozens of variants of my 3 over the past 50 years.

Then the three "must" acoustic - all should be AE IMHO - would be a good steel string small body/parlor, Gibson/Epi or Martin depending on the neck shape you like; a dread either D-size Martin or J45 variant Gibbie/Epi; and finally a good AE nylon string.

My six will cover just about any music any time, any where, from Bach to Beatles, Bill Monroe to Joe Pass and Jobim - and whether or not there's any electricity.

m

You said Tele then Jag then Jazz...but Strat? milod, what will people think of you now? You didn't even mention the word Les Paul! [scared] Oh, the humanity!

You can't just have 3 guitars. ;)

Ha ha so true! I have several axes on my wishlist, like something with a p90 pickup and it doesnt have to be super expensive, a lp junior or melody maker might suffice and an american tele, Gibson hummingbird, original guild 12 string from the rhode island plant in 80s, and if i ever get wealthy an original fender Broadcaster, pre cbs Strat, 59 les paul and an original gibby acoustic pre war.

Hey, i can dream cant i :P

Milod with a (-)? WOW!

I've seen lots of wierd stuff happening in the world, stuff I never thought would be. Lawlessness, pandamonium, "Occupy" you-name-it, tools made in China. Government armed and raiding comapanies over trees....

But never did I think I would see a post of Milod in red.

I think the end of the world is close at hand.

*post made in humor, for comedic value only. Any references to politics, religion, creed, color, is not intented or included in the above typed words. The author is not responsible for any or all contend reprinted, in whole, or in part, or any consequences resulting from any thoughts reading, using, or inferences resulting from those reading this.

Good point Stein.

In an attempt to quell armageddon I +'d Milod out of the red and saved mankind from oblivion. Mostly because he referenced 3 must haves I have on my list.. [tongue]

But on the single coil topic? I hear ya Heymisterk.

I have never really had a true single coil sound guitar. Never owned a Fender in my life. Have played them but never owned one.

Trying to learn Little Wing so I thought I would check out the pawn shop in search of the proper sound.

I found a 2002 squire strat(Indonesian). Ok not a tele but still.

But it was only 80 bucks. And after some minor bridge,rod and harmonic tweaks it sounds and plays great. I play it all the time.

And I also am not afraid to play with tweaking it.

So enjoy your Tele kick dude... I sure am enjoying my strat kick. Even if it is just a squire. Best 80 bucks I ever spent.

Milod with a (-)? WOW!

I've seen lots of wierd stuff happening in the world, stuff I never thought would be. Lawlessness, pandamonium, "Occupy" you-name-it, tools made in China. Government armed and raiding comapanies over trees....

But never did I think I would see a post of Milod in red.

I think the end of the world is close at hand.

*post made in humor, for comedic value only. Any references to politics, religion, creed, color, is not intented or included in the above typed words. The author is not responsible for any or all contend reprinted, in whole, or in part, or any consequences resulting from any thoughts reading, using, or inferences resulting from those reading this.

Everyone's top 3 is subjective so i dont know why anyone would negative it but maybe he has some secret admirers ;)

I absolutely love Telecasters in principle but I've never really bonded with them the way I did with either a Strat or a Les Paul.

Back in the mid '80s I had a gorgeous three-colour Sunburst bound-body '62 (?) Tele Deluxe re-issue and it was fine.....but not Great. Then, two years ago I was given a Butterscotch Blackguard Squire.

It's really nice. It's also the first maple-necked Fender I've owned whose 'board feels nice as it's not coated in plastic gloop.

I play it unplugged a lot. Plugged-in the difference in output between neck and bridge p-up is an issue but one easily sorted, I suppose.

Nice. Is that enough?

:-k

P.

Hello!

I always loved the Tele for it's beautyful simplicity. Although never thought I could use one.

Then, - one day - I went into my local shop and saw that FSR. Fell in love immediately. This was my only impulsive purchase. The two other guitars I have (both are LPs) were well-considered.

I took Her home and loved the way it sounded thru my amps and effects. Also, - to my surprise - it's comfortable to play, even at speed! The only problem I have with Her, that sometimes I forget it only has 21 frets, and - in the fever of playing - I make bends on the non-existing 22nd fret. [lol]

Isn't She's beautyful?

HPIM2890.jpg

Cheers... Bence

IMG_0042.jpg

I've always thought Telecasters were the most butt-ugly guitars on the planet. I could never see how people could be attracted to them until last weekend when I was visiting my cousin. I was staying with him for 5 days and 5 days without a guitar for me is too long. Fortunately, I discovered my cousins old six-year-old Tele copy (S101, a Chinese Squier competitor) in the classic black-body white-pickguard maple-neck style just laying in his basement collecting dust...

I picked it up and IMMEDIATELY, I fell in love with the neck. It was so unbelievably smooth and quick; it felt like it was made to my hand specs or something. The fret edges were so smooth, action was perfect, and it simply did not go out of tune. These things sell for $150 new and something like $60 online. My first guitar was a Squier and I honestly believe the quality of these is 3 times as good. My Gibson needed more work than this thing initially!

Long story short, I walked out last week with that guitar, paying only $25 for it (yay family-connections!). I still think its butt-ugly (no offense, Tele enthusiasts) but the feel of that guitar was everything for me. It's my new project guitar too -- new pickups, refinish, new pickguard, possibly new tuners...I've never done any of this before so I'm excited to learn.

Just thought I'd share my input [biggrin]

Archived