Gibson Brands Forums

The End of Microsoft is Imminent?

bluesguitar65

Please try to tell me something that I don't know about the Windows OS or about computer hardware itself.

I've been building custom computers, installing operating systems, troubleshooting and finding solutions to problems, overclocking processors, graphics cards, and RAM, installing water loops, etc for almost 10 years now. Just because you have some stupid sheet of paper with your name on it that says you're a certified IT technician does not make you any better than me. I don't need that. I've acquired all my knowledge over years of practice in the field. I know what I'm doing.

EDIT: Please show me a regular computer user that cares about what I listed. Very few exist. Most people have a computer to browse the internet and check their email. Not very many people are worried about how fast their computer boots or how many cores their processor has. They don't care what speed their RAM clocked at or how high an overclock they can hit on their processor if they put it under water. They don't have an insatiable need for performance out of their computer like I do. Just in the past 3 weeks I've rebuilt my system in a new full tower chassis. I've installed a new CPU to replace my quickly aging Phenom II 1055T. And just this past week I upgraded from Radeon HD 6850s in crossfire to a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition (the most powerful single core GPU on the planet).

Please go on about how arrogant I am when it comes to computers. You'll find that I actually do know what I'm talking about and that most people haven't got the slightest clue.

Awwww.....you must be a gamer as well. I use to do all that overclocking stuff, my first board that I overclock was an Abit BH6 overclocking a celeron 300mhz to 800mhz using a peltier. This was back in the mid to late 90s when I use to quake online. Ahhh...I miss those college days when the whole dorm had a lan party playing Warcrarft and command and conquer. I think I was using two diamond monster II video cards in sli back then.

How times has changed indeed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, albeit with a large dollop of respect, that when I was younger and I'd built a few PCs (Which required soldering of components and some actual electronics knowledge in those days), done some hardware hacking and tweaked windows here and there, I thought I new about computers but when I started studying properly things like the tcp/ip protocol stack, server OS's etc I thought I knew about computers. Then wen I started running a Novell network with lan and wan hubs, print servers, tape backups and arcserve archiving and restoration I thought I knew computers. Then when I started managing multi-forrest server networks and load balancing solutions I thought I knew computers. Then when I started my own company providing maintenance of all the above and creating bespoke database driven software solutions I thought I knew computers. Then, When the online revolution occurred and I started developing similar web based solutions I thought I knew computers. Then when I started developing custom Asop based mobile roms and associated apps I thought I knew computers.

I now know that I can learn more from almost anyone.

Your attitude is a bit arrogant mate.

/chuckle

Extremely well put sir.

I love kids. Especially at Christmas time!

Awwww.....you must be a gamer as well. I use to do all that overclocking stuff, my first board that I overclock was an Abit BH6 overclocking a celeron 300mhz to 800mhz using a peltier. This was back in the mid to late 90s when I use to quake online. Ahhh...I miss those college days when the whole dorm had a lan party playing Warcrarft and command and conquer. I think I was using two diamond monster II video cards in sli back then.

How times has changed indeed.

Ahh yes... Doom II via IPX/SPX over modems.... Kali... Case's IGN. I remember.

Memmaker anyone? Gonna need it to run Aces Over Europe :D!!

Guest Farnsbarns

Networking solutions does not equal computer knowledge. You run a company focused on large scale networking. That has nothing to do with what I do with computers.

You may say that I am arrogant but am I not right in saying that the majority of computer users do not know about half of what goes on in their computers? You of all people should know this to be true.

What was I thinking. You're right of course. Clearly I wouldn't have a clue and neither would any of the other people who have commented who have worked in IT since before you were born. How silly of us.

I wonder how much you really know about what "what's going on inside your PC". Heres a few slightly tricky questions that a user would struggle with but an industry expert like yourself would reel off...

Why not wow me be defining a front side bus, explaining why a USB is not a port, the difference (electronicly) between a PCI and a PCIE bus, What the difference is between CMOS and Dallas Realtime, the difference between parity and non parity RAM, what a parity bit is and how it allows a RAID controller to recover from total hard drive failure with no loss of data.

Just a bit of fun!

Edit: no googling, I'll know!

What was I thinking. You're right of course. Clearly I wouldn't have a clue and neither would any of the other people who have commented who have worked in IT since before you were born. How silly of us.

I wonder how much you really know about what "what's going on inside your PC". Heres a few slightly tricky questions that a user would struggle with but an industry expert like yourself would reel off...

Why not wow me be defining a front side bus, explaining why a USB is not a port, the difference (electronicly) between a PCI and a PCIE bus, What the difference is between CMOS and Dallas Realtime, the difference between parity and non parity RAM, what a parity bit is and how it allows a RAID controller to recover from total hard drive failure with no loss of data.

Just a bit of fun!

You're my new hero.

(But you softballed him)

Found this tid-bit on the Farlex dictionary web site.... lols!

There are 12% more memory cells in 9-bit parity chips than there are in 8-bit non-parity memory. To shave costs, many computers are built with non-parity memory, and it is truly a miracle that the memories in the billions of non-parity computers in the world work as well as they do.

Just a bit of fun!

*raises hand ME ME ME ME!

USB v port : USB not big enough for boats or even a little rafter

Hehe, well played sir =D>

Bragging is SO lame...unless it has to do with winning at Monopoly or beer pong.

@ gamer boys Chan and blues

I feel less guilty now about playing D&D on the computer and wanting to buy Guild Wars. I remember my first MMO made em buy more ram and instal a videocard. I hadn't ever ventured to open my pc before. Gaming can teach you stuff [thumbup]

On topic, predicting stuff like the fall of an empire is just...jax said it, unpredictable.

Just a bit of fun!

Really? Okay fine. I'll play your silly game

1. The front side bus is the data link on the motherboard that sends information from the CPU to the north bridge which in turn sends data to the RAM. Changing the FSB frequency will also cause the north bridge, CPU, and RAM frequencies, or clock speeds, to change. Although I would only recommend overclocking through the FSB if your CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier.

2. I'm not sure what you're referring to with your question about USBs. A universal serial bus is simply a plug on the end of a cable that plugs into a 9 pin USB header on the motherboard.

3. The difference between PCI and PCIE is simple. A PCIE bus has more I/O bandwidth than a PCI or AGP bus which is why it has become the standard for expansion buses on motherboards. Not sure if you wanted something more specific than that or not.

4. You win for CMOS vs RTC.

5. You win on parity RAM.

6. I'll take a guess that the RAID controller is setup to store backups of files on all of the drives in the RAID configuration so that if one of them fails the others still hold the data.

Guest Farnsbarns

Really? Okay fine. I'll play your silly game

1. The front side bus is the data link on the motherboard that sends information from the CPU to the north bridge which in turn sends data to the RAM. Changing the FSB frequency will also cause the north bridge, CPU, and RAM frequencies, or clock speeds, to change. Although I would only recommend overclocking through the FSB if your CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier.

2. I'm not sure what you're referring to with your question about USBs. A universal serial bus is simply a plug on the end of a cable that plugs into a 9 pin USB header on the motherboard.

3. The difference between PCI and PCIE is simple. A PCIE bus has more I/O bandwidth than a PCI or AGP bus which is why it has become the standard for expansion buses on motherboards. Not sure if you wanted something more specific than that or not.

4. You win for CMOS vs RTC.

5. You win on parity RAM.

6. I'll take a guess that the RAID controller is setup to store backups of files on all of the drives in the RAID configuration so that if one of them fails the others still hold the data.

You got 1. Well done, a reasonable description of a front side bus.

A usb is not just a plug. It's a data bus, if I cut the plug of my printer and solder the wires to the mobo it's still a usb and data is still entering and exiting via a bus. I asked why it isn't a port as one often hears of usb ports which is an oxymoron. I think your answer indicates that you don't really know what a bus is.

A pcie bus actually doesn't have a higher bandwidth. It's a dedicated bus where all your pci busses are in fact 1 bus.

Parity ram loads a 9th parity bit for each 8 bit byte. The parity bit can be used to calculate whether a missing bit was a 0 or a 1.

A raid controller can write 1 bit from each byte to a separate physical drive. By using 9 drives we have 1 bit from each byte on a different drive with a parity bit on the 9th. If one drive fails you can throw it away and replace it. All the missing bits from each byte can now be calculated using the parity bit from the 9th drive and all the data restored. If the 9th drive fails it too can be thrown away and replaced. Then the controller can restore all the parity bits by looking back at the bytes written across the other 8 drives.

I'm surprised, I thought you knew about computers. Perhaps putting more energy into learning from others and less trying to convince others you already know everything would be a good idea.

I think you have some basic and superficial knowledge above and beyond that of a power user. Nothing more.

I'm not trying to beat you up, I'm trying to get you to see that sometimes we all let our eagerness to show others what we know and what we can do get in the way of opportunities to learn and grow. It called arrogance. No one is immune to it.

You got 1. Well done, a reasonable description of a front side bus.

A usb is not just a plug. It's a data bus, if I cut the plug of my printer and solder the wires to the mobo it's still a usb and data is still entering and exiting via a bus. I asked why it isn't a port as one often hears of usb ports which is an oxymoron. I think your answer indicates that you don't really know what a bus is.

A pcie bus actually doesn't have a higher bandwidth. It's a dedicated bus where all your pci busses are in fact 1 bus.

Parity ram loads a 9th parity bit for each 8 bit byte. The parity bit can be used to calculate whether a missing bit was a 0 or a 1.

A raid controller can write 1 bit from each byte to a separate physical drive. By using 9 drives we have 1 bit from each byte on a different drive with a parity bit on the 9th. If one drive fails you can throw it away and replace it. All the missing bits from each byte can now be calculated using the parity bit from the 9th drive and all the data restored. If the 9th drive fails it too can be thrown away and replaced. Then the controller can restore all the parity bits by looking back at the bytes written across the other 8 drives.

I'm surprised, I thought you knew about computers. Perhaps putting more energy into learning from others and less trying to convince others you already know everything would be a good idea.

I think you have some basic and superficial knowledge above and beyond that of a power user. Nothing more.

I'm not trying to beat you up, I'm trying to get you to see that sometimes we all let our eagerness to show others what we know and what we can do get in the way of opportunities to learn and grow. It called arrogance. No one is immune to it.

You may want to check your facts on the PCIE bus. Your answer doesn't make any sense. You're trying to tell me that all the slots on the motherboard are replaced by one slot? A PCIE bus can run at x1, x4, x8, x16, or x32 speeds. Each has an increased amount of bandwidth over the previous. Each of those is the number of lanes that the bus can have. Are you trying to say that the number of lanes is equal to number of PCI slots that bus accounts for?

Regarding USBs, I am fully aware that a USB is a data bus and that the plugs are unnecessary. Your question was misleading and did not give any hints to the answer you were looking for.

Now it's my turn:

1. What is the new name for motherboard firmware previously known as BIOS (Basic Input/Output System)? If your motherboard doesn't have this then it's definitely time for an upgrade.

2. List the functions of the Southbridge.

3. What, besides the RAM, does the Northbridge control?

BONUS!!!

What is the name given to the current generation of Intel processors and what is the codename for the next generation due out sometime next year?

Same rules apply. No Google!

You guys need to get laid, seriously.

Go buy a car and go drifting. Sheesh.

Baaahahahahahahah,,, [lol]

That sums it up nicely... Good one.

:blink:

Although, I don't get laid either,, but I have an excuse,, I'm married.

hehe....

Shred...

I'm at work or I'd do some research but...

Run DMC only means a name I've heard, not music. Hey, I'm old. <grin>

Worse perhaps... I have a tendency to do music for specific venues rather than "types." The advantage is that it's great fun to do Bach and jazz and cowboy stuff... the disadvantage is that one can get more than a bit disengaged from current material.

<sigh> Too much music, too many possibilities, too little time even when I was 17 some 50 years ago.

As for Quapman's comment... <grin> I hope his wife either doesn't see it or has as good a sense of humor as he does.

m

Haha milod...Run DMC was one of the best rap groups of all time! One of the famous lines from one of their songs goes:

"Not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning GOOD!"

Kinda started the rap crowd referring to good things as "Bad"!

"Yo!! Did you hear that guys bad rhymes?!"

"Yo!! That concert was BAD!!!"

Archived