Gibson Brands Forums

Drum machine

CoreyT

So I was looking at the new Vox Apache guitars yesterday that have a drum machine built into them, and also amp modeling.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/guitars/apache/

I really do not need another guitar with a built in speaker, as I have a Fernandes that has one, but the Vox is very cool.

But this got me to thinking there must be some drum machines out there that you can plug into your amp to play along with.

I saw these on Amazon, but I am not sure if they are to play along with, or if you are suppose to beat on the pads :D

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_85_0?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adrum+machine%2Cp_85%3A1&keywords=drum+machine&ie=UTF8&qid=1356321546

Looking for something easy to hook up to a 2nd amp and to be able to program it to play different style rhythm and temps.

Are they the correct type I am talking about that are listed?

What about software too, such as Garage Band?

I know nothing about it, but if it has amp modeling, I am not looking at it for that, as I already have four amps here.

Just looking for something that has drums, and that I can use to play along with.

The only drum tracks I have found with a realistic sound has been from the line 6 spider amp. Because all the tracks are recorded from 'Live' human drummers. No computer generated drums. The drum tracks can be speeded up or slowed down and can be adjusted for pitich.

Nothing replaces a live drummer, but these line 6 tracks are pretty amazing.

I bought a mint condition Jam Station (JS5) from a friend. It has drums, horns, bass, rhythm guitar, keyboards...you name it. AND you can loop all the tracks to jam with a full band. Well over 100 different tracks to keep your chops in shape. The best part??? Nobody shows up drunk late or stoned. No attitudes and nobody whining about rehearsal. My kind of band.

Looking for something easy to hook up to a 2nd amp and to be able to program it to play different style rhythm and temps.

Well, there's the Zoom MRT-3B micro-rhythm track. You just plug it in to your amp. Drum sounds are very realistic. Here's a youtube

Back in the early '70s a buddy of mine and I used a Univox analog drum machine for country/country rock. It sounds a little odd on this youtube vid, but it worked surprisingly well in real life. Or... maybe in the old days with twice the legal alcohol limit folks just didn't care. <grin>

Seriously, it's one of the easiest to use I've seen since... your little book with settings... quick set, start playing, push the machine's foot on-off and have at it.

Oh - we did get a human drummer. He drank even more than my buddy. Good solid guy and good, solid drummer up to the point literally fell over backwards while playing. That only happened a coupla gigs, but...

Oh, and believe it or not, I still have it right at 40 years later.

m

Archived