Gibson Brands Forums

I Started an Internet Petition at GoPetition

kaleb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow.... and on the heels of that... can we get an OUCH?!

seriously, i laughed so hard when i read this.

incredible.

Lick it Up, Kaleb eusa_clap.gif

I'm sorry, but I don't care for that song. I'll take Fits Like A Glove instead.

I'm pretty much of a new guy here, but this is the funniest thread since I've been here. [biggrin]

No offense to those posting on it.

Nothing beats a good forum heckle fest!!! [thumbup]

None taken! I'd be laughing too!

But, in all seriousness, I'll apologize for RS trolling my thread.

None taken! I'd be laughing too!

But, in all seriousness, I'll apologize for RS trolling my thread.

I say... No I have yet to "troll" anyone's thread. You posted a topic which like all of your other topics are not so much about guitars, guitar playing, gibsonesque guitars, but how much you feel KISS seems to need more recognition.

And you... not caring that perhaps you post too much of this sort of thread. I find this after so long to be truly inconsiderate!

I for one log onto the forums to talk guitars, talk performing, see what's happening by way of new gear and even musical ideas.

If something catches my eyes and ears then excellent. If something happens where I might even be.... offended, then ah well... No big deal. I won't make an issue of that.

But to say I "troll" because I point out your continuous over posting, might I suggest flooding the forums with redundant assenine topics ranging from " what color is Ace Freelies poop this week," or " tommy Thayer is a better Mad Libs champion than Vinnie Vincent" ( you get the idea)

No I'm not a troll. I'm not a troublemaker. Just a fellow traveller who rather than stay quiet, feels the friendly need to point out " you have some poop on your chin, Kaleb."

Ok I doubt this could ever point out the obvious but Kiss is not the real issue at the end of the day. But consider listening to a different band. Perhaps a band that makes good music, has costumes and a real sense of humor. Make a new post or two about what you find. GWAR perhaps or if your so into the 70s perhaps The Osmands. The world is your oyster!

Good luck Kaleb! Godspeed on your quest should you choose to accept!

ps

All those whispers about high treason within the kiss army are not true, right? If you decide to listen to other 70s rock groups you won't actually face a firing squad?!?! Meh.... I don't care.

I say... No I have yet to "troll" anyone's thread. You posted a topic which like all of your other topics are not so much about guitars, guitar playing, gibsonesque guitars, but how much you feel KISS seems to need more recognition.

And you... not caring that perhaps you post too much of this sort of thread. I find this after so long to be truly inconsiderate!

I for one log onto the forums to talk guitars, talk performing, see what's happening by way of new gear and even musical ideas.

If something catches my eyes and ears then excellent. If something happens where I might even be.... offended, then ah well... No big deal. I won't make an issue of that.

But to say I "troll" because I point out your continuous over posting, might I suggest flooding the forums with redundant assenine topics ranging from " what color is Ace Freelies poop this week," or " tommy Thayer is a better Mad Libs champion than Vinnie Vincent" ( you get the idea)

No I'm not a troll. I'm not a troublemaker. Just a fellow traveller who rather than stay quiet, feels the friendly need to point out " you have some poop on your chin, Kaleb."

Ok I doubt this could ever point out the obvious but Kiss is not the real issue at the end of the day. But consider listening to a different band. Perhaps a band that makes good music, has costumes and a real sense of humor. Make a new post or two about what you find. GWAR perhaps or if your so into the 70s perhaps The Osmands. The world is your oyster!

Good luck Kaleb! Godspeed on your quest should you choose to accept!

ps

All those whispers about high treason within the kiss army are not true, right? If you decide to listen to other 70s rock groups you won't actually face a firing squad?!?! Meh.... I don't care.

All I mostly do is post videos of KISS and or Ace live in action cause' I get a joy out of the music and I want to share it with you people. But I will agree that some of my other non-video KISS threads and my constant plugging of Ace is annoying. My problem lies in that I tend to not think before I post. But with this thread, I was trying to promote a petition, but it failed. It wasn't originally intended to spread my opinions like it did, it was for promotional purposes only.

I would like to point out that for a KISS hater, you seem to know more than other haters (most haters wouldn't even know about KISS Meets The Phantom/Rip and Destroy or who Vinnie and Tommy even are unless they were around in the 80s and knew of the Vinnie Vincent Invasion and/or Black n' Blue).

You tell me to listen to another band? I haven't even listened to em' lately (other than that "100,000 Years" vid I posted yesterday). I've been listening to Van Halen II in the car and an hour ago I listened to Tesla's cover of UFO's "Rock Bottom" (which is excellent, BTW). I'm a semi-pro musician. My band doesn't even do any KISS songs (we will be doing "Strange Ways", however). And, if you haven't noticed, I am a huge Rush fan (mostly Moving Pictures and before, and the new stuff) and a large majority of the music I listen to is theirs. I cut my teeth playing heavy blues. I'm a completely ear-trained musician and I play guitar, bass, and drums.

Listen to a band that makes good music? Last I checked, music is subjective. And so what if KISS songs are shallow, a bit dumb, and too easy to understand? Isn't that what rock n' roll originally was? Chuck Berry never wrote deep stuff. Anyway, just cause' you are a very skilled classical guitarist and make a good living out of it doesn't mean you have the right to call me a clown and cut down my tastes. You sound like one of those pretentious Rock Hall people. And for the record, I don't care for GWAR (just my opinion). If we're talking theatrical rock, I'll take Alice Cooper (especially the old stuff). I've posted videos by Jackyl, Pride & Glory, Richie Scarlet, and others but no one ever replies (except for the P&G "Toe'n the Line" which got a few).

Yeah, I got kicked out of the KISS Army because I bought UFO Strangers In The Night.....

P.S., you never did get my "No they don't! They're the bestist band in the whole world" and "They don't suck, they blow!" jokes either, did ya?

Kaleb... you got a little poop there on your chin.

Lick it up.

Well, if I have poop on my chin, you have **** for brains.

I'll just tell it like it is: I don't know you, I've never met you, I've only heard a small portion of your music, but I already have a strong dislike for you.

I'm surprised that a musician of your caliber would stoop this low. Whatever you think of KISS is fine, I really don't give a ****, but you just won't stop pulling cyberpunches will you?

You're a loser. A joke. A phony. A nobody. Nobody gives a **** about what you say (except Rolling Stone magazine, maybe). I can't believe you still think people give a damn about what you say!

Well because I disagree with your enthusiasm I am labeled a loser, a nobody, etc...

I'm glad not everyone thinks that way. Where would we be if we all thought like you? A frightful proposition indeed! Cars would run on KISS PETROL, and our borders would be defended by all branches of the KISS ARMY! Prices of Gold and Silver would be based on the weight of KISS merchandise from the years 1977-1981 as you so eloquently stated are the prime years for dolls, trading cards, board games. You name it.

Worth a repeating here; a person cannot like or dislike anyone or a concept they do not know. So your constant name calling and admission of not liking me carries the same weight as your profession of "brotherly love" for me. Both are the ramblings of a person who has run out of useful ideas.

Kaleb one day you will not just be somebody. You already ARE somebody.albeit an odd duck type of somebody. Variety as they say.....

Further, threatening to abandon the forums only to return less than 24 hours later is more credence to my theory.

Anyhow I did enjoy this thread for a time, but it has become grossly apparent that you were the only one not fully in on the joke. And that.... is not fun at all.

Relax.. Like what you want. Even if it is dumb.

It's been fun.

Well because I disagree with your enthusiasm I am labeled a loser, a nobody, etc...

I'm glad not everyone thinks that way. Where would we be if we all thought like you? A frightful proposition indeed! Cars would run on KISS PETROL, and our borders would be defended by all branches of the KISS ARMY! Prices of Gold and Silver would be based on the weight of KISS merchandise from the years 1977-1981 as you so eloquently stated are the prime years for dolls, trading cards, board games. You name it.

Worth a repeating here; a person cannot like or dislike anyone or a concept they do not know. So your constant name calling and admission of not liking me carries the same weight as your profession of "brotherly love" for me. Both are the ramblings of a person who has run out of useful ideas.

Kaleb one day you will not just be somebody. You already ARE somebody.albeit an odd duck type of somebody. Variety as they say.....

Further, threatening to abandon the forums only to return less than 24 hours later is more credence to my theory.

Anyhow I did enjoy this thread for a time, but it has become grossly apparent that you were the only one not fully in on the joke. And that.... is not fun at all.

Relax.. Like what you want. Even if it is dumb.

It's been fun.

You got me completely wrong.

Yeah, I'd love for KISSworld, KISS gasoline, KISS oxygen, yeah....

I'm not saying everybody thinks like me nor should think like me. This is not about my taste in bands. It's about the name-calling everywhere on this thread. Fortunately, it seems to be entertainment for other members...

I am an odd duck. An anomaly. So what? You disagree with my idea that KISS is a good band (which is my opinion). I don't give a **** about what you think of them! It doesn't matter!

I'm getting the Eddie Trunk treatment. I'll do you a favor and not explain it.

All I can say is that you sir are a perfect hypocrite.

Just a guess... but Eddy Trunk is a Kiss Fanboy who is constantly ridiculed?

BAH! Away with you, and your dolls, trading cards, lunchboxes, credit cards, cell phones, caskets, toilet paper, cheap washburn guitars, etc etc...

BEGONE!!!

Just a guess... but Eddy Trunk is a Kiss Fanboy who is constantly ridiculed?

BAH! Away with you, and your dolls, trading cards, lunchboxes, credit cards, cell phones, caskets, toilet paper, cheap washburn guitars, etc etc...

BEGONE!!!

Eddie Trunk is not a KISS fanboy (he used to be...now he's just a fan)....He's a hard rock and heavy metal geek, radio show host, author and co-host of That Metal Show in case you don't know (he was also an AR and Vice President of Megaforce Records in the late-80s. He helped Frehley's Comet get signed). I love him because he knows his ****. Nobody else will talk about bands like UFO and Tesla or give them airplay. He does. Whether this is good or not, he happens to be known as the "KISS guy". The "Eddie Trunk treatment" is someone putting words in your mouth because of misinformation (and jackass-ness of the perpetrator, for lack of a better term). Anyway, I highly recommend his book "Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock & Heavy Metal". Great bands (alphabetical order from AC/DC to Van Halen), great "bios", great personal stories, great photos.

I will say it again: I don't get into their merchandising stuff like that. Never did. Never will. That's one of those things I hate about them. I mean, of course I like the normal merch that every other band does, and I kinda thought the comics were sorta cool (mostly for the artwork) and the pinball machine (Ted Nugent had a pinball machine too), but the toys (Colorforms? Really?), stupid gimmicks (a ****in' casket with a cooler in it? Sorry, no. The only cool factor a KISS Kasket had was the fact that Dime was buried in one!), and the plain stupid (KISS My *** toilet paper? Well, wiping mine with Gene's face would be fun.... And that Monster book? I heard that only three were produced. Probably for Gene's shrine. Go figure?). And Gene can take his reality show and shove it up his ***. And I'm willing to bet that KISS Kondoms are the worst that ever existed. I feel sorry for who ever buys em'. ****, I don't even think most KISS fans buy them!

Cheap Washburn guitars? Well, I don't care for Paul's guitars at all (that he's been doing since 98'. His Iceman was pretty cool). But you have a Budokan, so.....(at least the Budokan is cool...And real....)

I'll beat ya' to the punch and just say, yes I do have poop on my chin...

• 5 weeks later...

Like I said, I think the toys with their faces on it ruined them, and prevented a lot of people from being fans. From inception until mid-1976, they were a dangerous, hard-working theatrical rock band. Destroyer changed that, both for the good AND for the bad. On the good side, the epicness that is "Detroit Rock City" and the whole larger-than-life feel of that album (thanks to Bob Ezrin) transformed them into the pagan rock warriors of the night that they were for about a year. "Beth" brought the crossover appeal, but it also cost them their street cred (while Destroyer is a great album, I don't think it needed the extra bells n' whistles. They work for Alice, but not for KISS). The merchandise made them a children's band (which, is totally ironic. The merch alone makes people that around back then to call them a kiddie band. Totally false. A large chunk of their tunes are about blowjobs for crying out loud!). Then, the solo albums made the egos fly. Then when they did Dynasty, they lost their way (although half the tunes on that album would be much heavier had they used a different producer. Ace's songs from that record sound way heavier and ballsier when he plays them live). During that period, the **** hit the fans (not only that, the **** really did hit their fans...). They've been contrived that way since 1976!

BUT, what I don't get is how the critics (especially Rolling Stone) will bash them and call them "fake", "just a show", "a sellout band", yet they laud over Madonna, Michael Jackson, and rap music. And whether or not people like to hear this, The Beatles were somewhat contrived and were a brand too. They had toys. They had a cartoon. I don't care for that stuff (the overkill non-clothing merch), but you can't deny it. This is why I call the people at Rolling Stone "hypocritics".

Every musician (music lover in general) has a hero, or a band he always sticks up for. I will always stand up for KISS despite the fact that I don't care for most of their merchandise gimmicks and I don't care for them putting Tommy and Eric in Ace and Peter's makeup. And Ace Frehley will always be my absolute guitar hero no matter what. When I hear him (as in his playing/singing, despite him not being a good singer at all. His signature laugh applies here too), a big smile comes across my face. Everyone has that with certain artists. He's that one player for me.

My sentiments exactly. KISS were my first love. I still rate their first four albums (KISS, Hotter than Hell, Dressed to Kill, and Alive - and a few songs from Rock and Roll Over) as good as any four albums I've heard from any group. A lot of rock musos love this stuff but are ashamed to admit it. I didn't like KISS from Destroyer on (except Ace Frehley's first solo album). I then graduated to Sabbath, EC, etc. I never went along with the gimmicks. I think the gimmicks took away their credibility as a solid and serious hard rock band. I think they sold their soul for the almighty $. I still dig the firs four albums as if I heard them for the first time.

My sentiments exactly. KISS were my first love. I still rate their first four albums (KISS, Hotter than Hell, Dressed to Kill, and Alive - and a few songs from Rock and Roll Over) as good as any four albums I've heard from any group. A lot of rock musos love this stuff but are ashamed to admit it. I didn't like KISS from Destroyer on (except Ace Frehley's first solo album). I then graduated to Sabbath, EC, etc. I never went along with the gimmicks. I think the gimmicks took away their credibility as a solid and serious hard rock band. I think they sold their soul for the almighty $. I still dig the firs four albums as if I heard them for the first time.

I'm open-minded about things, so I can say something good about every one of their albums (even the weak ones like The Elder, Asylum, Crazy Nights, Carnival Of Souls, Psycho Circus, etc. I don't care for Sonic Boom or Monster too much but that's just me. If they had an outside producer it would be that much better), but the first four, Rock and Roll Over, Ace's first solo record, Creatures Of The Night, Lick It Up, and Revenge are faultless IMHO. Great, kickass records from start to finish (I should point out that I like the "bad" production on the first three. They give a certain vibe). Some people say Destroyer is their masterpiece, but that's not true for me. "Great Expectations" completely ruins it. And I think they should have done "Beth" with acoustic guitars rather than an orchestra.

As far as the gimmicks go, I understand that a band has to establish their brand, but I think it ruined them (along with egos getting out of control, crooked accountants, Gene going hollywood, and Ace and Peter's insanity). The comics, the pinball machine, and the dolls I can live with (I see the point in having action figures or figurines of something you love). But the kiddie toys and stuff? NO! Then there's the plain ridiculous....(KISS MY *** toilet paper...ugh).

It's amazing that in two/three years they went from being a fun, kickass, loud, dangerous theatrical rock band to a full-bore children's comic book band.

Archived