Gibson Brands Forums

The first "Banner" Gibson

jt

A fine choice indeed.

Sadly, Jimmy Stewart has passed and we will never be able to see his beaming face in the movie version as his daughter goes on to become America's singing cowgirl, who changes her name to Gillian Girl and moves to Canada to avoid the adulation of her screaming fans.

8368462204_a3fc81bdd0.jpg

Sadly, Jimmy Stewart has passed and we will never be able to see his beaming face in the movie version as his daughter goes on to become America's singing cowgirl, who changes her name to Gillian Girl and moves to Canada to avoid the adulation of her screaming fans.

8368462204_a3fc81bdd0.jpg

I love this!

I read somewhere that the banner Gibsons were built by women who were working the factory while the men were overseas. What an extraordinary story

I read this somewhere, too, and I've heard that the guy who discovered this story has a book about it that's about to be published. :)

Just wanted to mention that any book with a chapter entitled "A Wooden Conundrum Wrapped in an Enigma of Lacquer" is my kind of book. Gibson should make this the company motto!

-- Bob R

Just wanted to mention that any book with a chapter entitled "A Wooden Conundrum Wrapped in an Enigma of Lacquer" is my kind of book. Gibson should make this the company motto!

-- Bob R

:)

I couldn't think of any other way to title the chapter accurately!

A little fun on ya Geeter - jt is the author. . B)

As for the first Banners, I couldn't track them to their owners because the ledgers don't list FONs of shipped guitars. What I've done is to use census reports and other municipal records to paint a picture of what the shops that received the first Banners looked like and what was going on musically in that town at that time. For example, the first LG-1 went to the shop where Doc Watson did a weekly, Saturday radio show. And it may very well have been delivered on a Saturday.

I have tracked 6 guitars (because I've got sales records, etc., and know where they went) and I've done the same for them.

5 years of hard, but very fun work.

As for the first Banners, I couldn't track them to their owners because the ledgers don't list FONs of shipped guitars. What I've done is to use census reports and other municipal records to paint a picture of what the shops that received the first Banners looked like and what was going on musically in that town at that time. For example, the first LG-1 went to the shop where Doc Watson did a weekly, Saturday radio show. And it may very well have been delivered on a Saturday.

I have tracked 6 guitars (because I've got sales records, etc., and know where they went) and I've done the same for them.

5 years of hard, but very fun work.

unnertand, but why yes of course Jon's the author. I'm writing the screenplay based on the best selling book [rolleyes]

Archived