Gibson Brands Forums

ABR-N Upgrade For Your USA Gibson.

AXE®

One thing I can think of right off the bat is with the Faber ABR is you can bring the tail piece all the way down to the body of the guitar without the string hitting the bridge. Hence more direct contact with the wood and possibly better tone and sustain. The if you tighten the Nashville bridges all the way down to the body the strings hit the back of the bridge which could cause more strings to brake...

One thing I can think of right off the bat is with the Faber ABR is you can bring the tail piece all the way down to the body of the guitar without the string hitting the bridge. Hence more direct contact with the wood and possibly better tone and sustain. The if you tighten the Nashville bridges all the way down to the body the strings hit the back of the bridge which could cause more strings to brake...

Since about 1973, more than half a dozen Les Pauls of various vintages and types including flat tops, Firebird, couple L6sii, Splorer, and exactly one (1) SG, and I've never had any abr/nashville/tunermatic/stoptail any other way but all the way down. I see this written so many times and I just don't know why it is, I hate this, an "issue". If it happens to touch back there it is not any different than a string tree or Marlbl up at the other end, once past the nut and saddle the string basically has no idea what is going on. And Fedner has strung through since Fedner, doesn't seem to hurt them that probably all of the strings passing through probably hundreds of Fenders I've used all were touching the plate on the way out either.

I'm either so seriously lucky that I haven't had to have the bridge up high enough to matter or it just doesn't really matter at all, because all of my Gibsons have always had the stop bar all the way down tight, and I couldn't even tell you if they touch or not, that's how much difference it has made.

I should say, I've never had to work on my guitars because the stop bar was all the way down.

Just observations of my own experience, anyone can disagree and I'm fine with that.

The only opinion part is that I don't find any tailpiece or bridge to matter one whit in the overall sound of a guitar. If my Les Paul didn't sound like a Les Paul should, I sure wouldn't be investing in a bridge in hopes of saving it, I'd be tradin it for one that already sounds good.

rct

@ ATC I have to agree with you for the most part. I have had quite a few different Gibsons over the years with stop bars, and always had them screwed down all the way to the body. Many of them the strings then touched the back of the bridge but the guitars sounded great, no problems. However recently I bought a new LP Custom and when I got it the stop bar was really high up so when I put new strings on I screwed it all the way down to the body. But then after reading some stuff about how the strings should not touch the back of the bridge I moved it back up just enough so the strings cleared the back of the bridge. What I noticed was that the strings felt looser (I use .10 or .11 Elixers)and were easier to bend and overall the action a little smoother as a result. So after more than 40 years of playing Gibsons with stop bar tailpieces I am now a believer that maybe it is better to not have strings touching the back of the bridge. By the way I also own a CS336 with a stop bar and in checking that guitar - while the stop bar is screwed down tight to the body - the strings don't touch after going over the saddle.

So this Faber should be useful for those of us that want both A)stop bar touching body and B)Strings not hitting bridge after passing over the saddles.

I may add that the stop tail fits loosely on the studs on most models, lowering the studs does not make the tail piece fit snugger, how would contact improve?

A lot of Historics have a different neck angle than the USA line, that allows to crank the tail piece down because there is less angle to deal with.

Of course I could be completely wrong but, then again it does not make a difference to me.

On my guitars with nashville bridges when the stop bar is tightened all the way down the strings ARE touching the back of the bridge. Since they are resting on a sharp metal corner it makes sense to me that the tension of the string plus playing hard could cause them to brake at that point. Just my observation and gut feeling...

Hello!

My both Gibsons came with the E and B strings touching the back of the bridge. I've raised the stop bar and they both have better sustain now (probably proper sustain - which seemed to be lost due to this issue).

If I can lower the bar way down with the Faber bridge, it's worth getting it.

Archived