Gibson Brands Forums

Multi Meter Rock

slavestate

Hello there,

A few buddies and myself have been jamming for a few weeks now and we're writing instrumental pieces that focuses on timing and using different meters as well as cyclical phrasing. I have always played this or that when it came to music, but I'm sincerely enjoying this stuff we're doing now. We all come from different backgrounds of music and technique when we write or play we have no goal of a set cohesion. Sometimes we come up with licks, riffs or parts on the guitar/bass while other times the drummer has a specific beat he wants to entertain. We're quickly realizing that our goal is doing instrumental multi meter music that has varying textures and tones.

If you've got a free couple of minutes it'd be cool to hear what you think about it.

The recording is from our rehearsal and is a bit rough around the edges, but you should get the overall vibe of the music.

Thanks!

Heck yeah, I'm glad you all thought of it as interesting and palatable. That was a live rehearsal after only a few times jamming on the structure, so rough is expected. I'm just stoked to be playing a more involved piece than a typical arrangement.

There will be more to come!

Okay...

My "take" as the old guy is that it's a good concept as a piece of music. I like the sound overall - yeah, rough and all.

But I think also there's an interesting break here that we've seen in rock and some more country-rock type material the past 35 years or so that involves switches in meter, etc., that makes a good piece for listening, but not for dancing.

I have kinda mixed emotions on that. Some stuff along those lines I reeeeeally like to listen to. But I'd personally never try to put them into a dance gig set anywhere.

I'm on kinda a philosophical kick today, so... I wonder in general if we're not seeing something of the same sort of split in "pop" music that went into jazz and often un-dance but good listening material...

My "baby" brother has done some material too that I figure comes under the same sort of umbrella in that it diverges from the "what I liked as a kid" for a nearly 40-y-o into a more experimental sorta gig that ain't what I'd consider playing at a dance for any age group - but might make a very good small venue concert.

???

m

Very cool everyone! I'm stoked you all thought it is a decent piece. I'm currently working on another one that will be cycling between 5/8 and 6/4 with some 4/4 and 8/8 parts as well. I'm really having fun playing with my two buddies and hopefully in a few months we'll have enough material to play a set out somewhere. I've been working on new parts constantly as well as organizing my musical thoughts so they cohesively flow together.

Enjoy!

Slave...

I'd be careful where you do this sort, though...

For example, some 50 years ago the high school band I was in did Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" that's 5/4 time. Kids would try to dance to it, it didn't fit their paradigm and left the floor frustrated. Did it sound good? Yeah, I think so from memory, but... they were a lot happier with stuff they could dance to by their own lights.

Jazz kinda went the way of "concert" rather than "dance band" for just that reason.

Both have a real place, and I really commend you for trying different things that do, indeed, show real promise. Just consider the venue.

m

Slave...

I'd be careful where you do this sort, though...

For example, some 50 years ago the high school band I was in did Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" that's 5/4 time. Kids would try to dance to it, it didn't fit their paradigm and left the floor frustrated. Did it sound good? Yeah, I think so from memory, but... they were a lot happier with stuff they could dance to by their own lights.

Jazz kinda went the way of "concert" rather than "dance band" for just that reason.

Both have a real place, and I really commend you for trying different things that do, indeed, show real promise. Just consider the venue.

m

I appreciate your words milod. We're definitely interested in just writing and rehearsing and long term a gig or two. There are a few venues in Brooklyn and Manhattan where we could set up a gig where people really get into music along these parallel lines. We definitely aren't playing so people can dance, more to tell a story and invoke emotion. I would feel comfortable saying that we're a bit more mellow than a lot of the bands I've seen and heard who do multi meter genre stuff, which most people refer to as "Math Rock". I'm trying to be a bit more open with the boundaries of expression in that I'm not really trying to label the genre something that is pre existing but rather incorporate the foundations of its writing into the genres name of Multi Meter Rock.

I love Take Five and growing up I remember hearing it for the first time in my music class in the 6th grade and It always stuck with me. I've always had the ear for "off" timings and after a year or so with a buddy of mine explaining how to annotate them and count them correctly I've been realizing that the majority of my music is not in 4/4 or 8/8. That's really a blast you performed that with your high school band, what a great memory.

I love it.

Thank you, and because of all of your support I will be writing tons more!

Slave...

You'll get a kick out of this, then... Take Five is the one and only tune and time I played a drum set. Just brushes, of course, but... <grin> Long story, but... <chuckle> Gee, that's a long time ago. Late winter of '63 as I recall.

In Western Massachusetts...

So... if I may steal a line, "Now the first of December was covered with snow

And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston

Though the Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting

With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go..."

I was the young "cowboy" dreaming of home on the plains, knowing I'd soon be headed back west, and thanking the stars for it - but taking advantage of anything and everything I could get from "eastern" culture as well. Dad was in Cambridge for grad school and I was working to conquer culture shock in a boarding school wearing neckties from dawn to dark and dreaming of open skies filled with bright stars over a sea of grass...

Ah the times, and the customs...

m

Thank you, and because of all of your support I will be writing tons more!

That's great. You guys clearly demonstrate some great songwriting skills here. Like Ryan said, the phrasing of the leads and dynamics are excellent.

I'd really like to hear the final product of this recorded and whatever else you guys come up with.

Also, even though this is a strong instrumental piece I wouldn't necessarily pigeonhole you guys as instrumental. Even some sporadic vocals on this song could take it to another level and possibly make you a little more marketable if you're interested in that.

I like it. I think it sounds great man.

Milod is right about the dance thing but I suspect you already know that and are not concerned about playing in that venue.

As a long time Zappa fan that is one of the things I always liked best about his music. I like the challenge of listening to his music.

Changing timing in stride. It not only challenges the musician playing it, it also challenges the listener. Zappa not only changed time signatures he could change style and go from classical to do-wop to jazz in 8 measures and leave the listener wondering what the hell just happened.

Not for everyone,, but I love it.

Sure you won't be dancing to it. But I say who cares. If you like doing it go for it. Sounds like you guys are pulling it together nicely.

Archived