Gibson Brands Forums

Pick-up battery dead or alive???

onewilyfool

Someone posted an accessory that let's you see if your battery for the pick-up is charged or not, by inserting it into the pick-u jack. I may be playing a gig with mic and amp, and don't know how old my battery is. Basically, I'm lazy...lol...any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Someone posted an accessory that let's you see if your battery for the pick-up is charged or not, by inserting it into the pick-u jack. I may be playing a gig with mic and amp, and don't know how old my battery is. Basically, I'm lazy...lol...any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

I have one of these and it works fine.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Keith-McMillen-Instruments-Batt-O-Meter-Battery-Tester-105802771-i1503078.gc

Here's what I'm told by a guitar tech I've known for years. Example 9V Battery-----------If the battery is brand new and you play 20hrs per week with it for a year, then change it. 20 hours is a lot of picking for just one guitar, let alone being plugged-in 20 hrs each week. If you have several guitars, a new battery should rarely, if ever, be a problem. I replace my batteries every spring, just before the outdoor venues begin. That's also when I replace my strings. Once-a-year unless something out-of-the-ordinary has happened. Sometimes I throw the old batteries away. Sometimes I used them in another device. Right now I've got three old ones from last spring in my remote controllers for my HO railroad layout. I use them 5-6 times per week, probably a total of 6-7 hours..........However, regarding my guitars, if I'm playing a gig and I have ANY doubts, I swap for a new battery. Plus, I keep a new one in the console of my car. If you're not aware of Murphy's Law, it will get you. Anyways, this tends to work for me.

My Hummingbird Artist hardly ever gets plugged in so I'm not worried about the battery being drained but I change it once a year anyway. I've seen too many flashlights and other devices get ruined by old, leaking batteries. Don't want any part of that inside my guitar.

Archived