Gibson Brands Forums

Hide Glue's back.

LysanderSky

Hi there,

So I've been reading on the other forums that Gibson is using hide glue again for 2013 Historic Les Pauls. Now, the response to this has been overwhelmingly positive on the guitar forums. It is the first time I have seen an announcement by Gibson met with such great acclaim.

Now, I understand that a lot of people buying a historic want their guitars to be as historically accurate as possible. But I don't know why and can't quite imagine how one can be so passionate about a certain type of glue.

Does anyone of you know what advantages hide glue has apart from historical accuracy (e.g. tone, fit..)

Thank you,

Lysander

I can testify to the effectiveness of hide glues when attaching a leather covering to plank built round shields from and early period historical perspective.

I can't imagine what benefit it would have over modern adhesives. [confused]

I can testify to the effectiveness of hide glues when attaching a leather covering to plank built round shields from and early period historical perspective.

I can't imagine what benefit it would have over modern adhesives. [confused]

When something hide glued breaks, the glue joint breaks apart before the wood around it. When modern adhesives set up, they form a stronger material than the original two pieces of wood, so the wood breaks around the glue joint. Messy. There's a buncha reasons to use animal glues, and many always have. I think our generous hosts might be a little presumptive in proclaiming "its BACK!". Maybe for them its BACK! It means, to me, they've figured out a way to use it that is cost effective, keeping it hot enough and all that has always been counter to large scale production of humbucker equipped shredderrific riffage ripping sonic assault weapons.

rct

1359167797[/url]' post='1317239']

When something hide glued breaks, the glue joint breaks apart before the wood around it. When modern adhesives set up, they form a stronger material than the original two pieces of wood, so the wood breaks around the glue joint. Messy. There's a buncha reasons to use animal glues, and many always have. I think our generous hosts might be a little presumptive in proclaiming "its BACK!". Maybe for them its BACK! It means, to me, they've figured out a way to use it that is cost effective, keeping it hot enough and all that has always been counter to large scale production of humbucker equipped shredderrific riffage ripping sonic assault weapons.

rct

What he said!

When modern adhesives set up, they form a stronger material than the original two pieces of wood, so the wood breaks around the glue joint. Messy.

Frankly, that's hogwash. There are plenty of modern adhesives that achieve the same thing. Yeah, you COULD glue your guitar together with Gorrilla Glue.... but there are so many other alternatives.

The reality is that hide glue comes in powder form and you add your own water. That's how they control the consistancy, ergo the cost. Cost is not a benefit over modern adhesives, it is an executive decision to affect the bottom line.

Then Marketing takes over and you get "It's BACK!!".

Archived