Gibson Brands Forums

2007 J-45 True Vintage-Anyone Have This Year

mking

Think you may get a wider response if you just ask the questions Kingme

2007..2009... 2010 ect...J45 TV they should all be the same.... seeing as the TV line was rolled out in 2007

unless the questions relate to Lacey Act....[scared]..which your 2007 aint

someone tell me if I'm wrong..but no spec changes on the J45 TV ?

I'm sure someone here has a 2007 though

I believe the initial run had sitka tops, then a "Special Edition" was made with red spruce, and then red spruce became standard on that model while sitka remained standard on the Southern Jumbo TV. There were also variations with the tuners in the early runs. Some had strips, and some had singles. Some came with black instead of tan cases.

All have orange labels, I believe, but not all have the words "True Vintage" or "TV" on them; some simply say "J-45." None have s serial number or "Made in the USA" impressed on the back of the headstock, to the best of my knowledge.

Red 333

See, I learned something right off the bat. I didn't know that 2007 was the year they rolled them out. I was told by Gibson that was the last year they had the sitka tops. So from him saying that was the last year.....I figured the TV had been out for a little while.

I know for fact my 2007 has plastic bridge pins because I can see the seam on the top of the round peg. Those of you with a 2007,08, or 09, what do you have? Also I think the saddle and nut on my guitar are bone but I wanted to hear from some others regarding this year. Does anyone know if the braces are sitka or adi?

Red 333 has a lot of it correct. My guitar has the single Kluson replica tuners, it came with the brown case with pink interior, Sitka top, orange label inside that does NOT say TV, just J-45. There is no stamp on the back of the headstock at all (the serial number is on the oval orange sticker inside). Oh, did I tell you it sounds fantastic!! But you all knew that. Thanks to everyone.

My 2010 J45 TV had plastic pins, swapped 'em out for bone. Bone nut and saddle, though I swapped out the original saddle for compensated bone. Love my J45, but when strings die on this they turn to mud in 2 days, and sound like dull goose farts. Doesn't matter what brand of strings either, when they go south, they're gone. Have no idea what the braces are made of, other than to say they're wood.

I also have a 2007 J-45 TV matching the same specs already outlined here: Sitka top, gloss finish, bone nut/saddle, single tuners, orange label: "J-45," tan/pink case. I picked mine up used a few years ago, and struggled initially to confirm it as a TV, as it didn't come with any paperwork. Sent pics to Gibson Customer Service and was able to clarify some of the specs, including: Honduran mahogany back, sides, and neck, "vintage" bracing (though not sure what wood), and that this year did not use hide glue or the VOS finish. Plastic bridge pins, although gleaning from the knowledge available on this forum, I have in the back of my mind the need to eventually upgrade to a set of Bob Colosi bone pins.

Absolutely love this instrument!

I've got a 2008 model with a glossy finish and separate tuners and it came in the tan case with the pink lining. It had bone pins in it when I bought it, but the original plastic pins are in the case. I've always assumed that the top is sitka and couldn't tell you much else about the fine details of the guitars construction other than it's pretty light (it weighs somewhere right around 4 lbs). I haven't been too worried about the rest of the details because for my preferences, it remains the best sounding TV I've yet to lay my hands on. The thing is so lively and responsive, it still sounds good even after the strings are a few months old. The only other one that came close to my ear was a real nice SJ TV that I played a while back which I think was also a fairly early example.

I have a 2008 J-45TV with an Adi top. On the label the guitar is a, "J-45"

I think they formally rolled out the TV line in late 2008 or early 2009. My guitar was part of an run of them before the True Vintage name was associated with them. I'm pretty sure there are a few more people on the forum who have one from this same run as they come up everyone once in a while.

Mine's a fantastic guitar.

j45-tv_zps02f56242.jpg

Mydreads_zps27836f2b.jpg

My 2007 J45-TV has an orange label inside that does in fact sat simply, J-45. It also has an upgraded Greven guard. There is no "made in the US" stamp on the back of my neck. Mine has the banner headstock, gloss finish (not VOS), and vintage individual Kluson tuners with white buttons. It also has an off-white aged binding, and not brilliant white. It is sitka topped. The laddered bracing down the back in mine is scalloped, whereas in my J-50 standard it is not. I don't know whether my braces are adi or sitka though; I am not sure I could tell. If you tell me what to look for I'll give it a whirl.

I have loved the newer ones with adi tops that I have played. And I love my 2007 like no other guitar. Good luck with yours.

I believe the initial run had sitka tops, then a "Special Edition" was made with red spruce, and then red spruce became standard on that model while sitka remained standard on the Southern Jumbo TV. There were also variations with the tuners in the early runs. Some had strips, and some had singles. Some came with black instead of tan cases.

All have orange labels, I believe, but not all have the words "True Vintage" or "TV" on them; some simply say "J-45." None have s serial number or "Made in the USA" impressed on the back of the headstock, to the best of my knowledge.

Red 333

Red. FYI as an aside. Love AMann

I got a good bit of info out of this. Thanks everyone for contributing. I have another question. I have some small scratches on the back from the plastic buttons on the front of my shirt, one of those regular button down collar types. These are not hard scratches like belt buckle but a lot of little ones. Although a bit more than normal pick scratches you get ont he top. Anyone know what would be good to take out these scratches? Again they are not in the wood and hardly into the nitro at all but still ugly. Thanks much

I got a good bit of info out of this. Thanks everyone for contributing. I have another question. I have some small scratches on the back from the plastic buttons on the front of my shirt, one of those regular button down collar types. These are not hard scratches like belt buckle but a lot of little ones.

That's precisely the reason I wear a long-sleeve T-shirt when I play.

It wasn't the sleeves. I was standing playing and it was the buttons down the front of my shirt. I will try the Virtuoso polish.

In my world, long-sleeve T-shirts don't have buttons anywhere on them, much less the front. The long sleeves are to protect the top of the guitar from sweaty forearms. The buttonless T-shirt protects the back.

Archived