Gibson Brands Forums

Where to find an affordable Hummingbird

mackles73

You all are the best for responding to my post! I will continue to scour the earth for a good deal. I'm wanting to spend no more than $2300 if I can help it for a new Hummingbird. I'm halfway there and won't accept any substitutes. Been playing for 20 years and I feel I deserve to own this, take care of it and eventually pass it down to my daughter one day.

You all are the best for responding to my post! I will continue to scour the earth for a good deal. I'm wanting to spend no more than $2300 if I can help it for a new Hummingbird. I'm halfway there and won't accept any substitutes. Been playing for 20 years and I feel I deserve to own this, take care of it and eventually pass it down to my daughter one day.

And that is the perfect motivation and attitude, keep going !

Then you must find a great one. I saw one at Lark Street Music in NJ but really it did not sound very good,a bit dead & buzzy & the pickguard was semi lifting off.

The grovers on those guitars look over weighty..yeech! Would be nice if you found one with other tuners.

Used to think they were ok when I was in my teens..

I think buying anything sight unseen is a leap of faith, especially for a guitar (or car). Having a relationship/conversation with the buyer or seller certainly alleviates some of that. I am a big fan of the personal phone call too. I can usually tell with relative surety whether something is a waste of time over the phone. Paying with paypal (thanks for the education F.G.) doesn't hurt to calm some nervousness either.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new Hummingbird about a month ago for exactly this (plus tax). I walked in the store with $2500 in cash and didn't intend to leave without a bird. If you find one you like you can definitely haggle with them a bit. Good luck, it's a fine guitar!

I bought a new Hummingbird about a month ago for exactly this (plus tax). I walked in the store with $2500 in cash and didn't intend to leave without a bird. If you find one you like you can definitely haggle with them a bit. Good luck, it's a fine guitar!

Good strategy!

Glad it worked. Did you already scope it out, play it etc. before committing to it?

Good strategy!

Glad it worked. Did you already scope it out, play it etc. before committing to it?

Went to the guitar shop and spent about an hour with it the week before. I kept thinking about it. It came home with me the following week (once I had the wife's approval)!

Since the sticker price was a good bit higher than what was in my pocket, I was prepared to walk disappointed and empty handed. Just glad I didn't have to

Archived