Gibson Brands Forums

Where to find an affordable Hummingbird

mackles73

For many buying a guitar is a compromise between what you want and what you can afford. One route is to go with a "player's guitar", one that has been oversprayed, had the bridge replaced, body refinished or other modifications that knock down value but do not necessariy hurt sound and feel.

An even more affordable way to go is to look at some of the Made in Japan clones from the 1970s. The Ibanez take on Gibsons is probably about as good as it got.

And sometimes it is best just to be patient and wait until you have the loot to get just what you want.

The Epi Hummingbird, which I've played many times at a friend's house, is a nice starter guitar, and will fulfill your visual need, but sound-wise it's not a Gibson. Not as deep, not as overall impressive. It's like playing a nice Yamaha or Ibanez.

No such thing as a cheap Hummingbird.

I would go for a second even third or forth hand, dinged Standard.

If you're lucky, a guitar like that would be affordable.

An Epiphone will cover your immediate needs, but sooner or later leave you with an urge for the real thing.

There's a chance you'll keep the Gibson 'till your sun goes down.

And as you know, it'll only get better. . . .

Newbie, I'm zeroing in on three key words in your op: Gibson, Hummingbird and affordable. So, assuming you didn't really want alternatives and that is why you didn't ask for them...

First make sure you know the difference between the pro which is the GC version and is a Hummingbird in name only, the standard which is the mainstay, and the newer TV which is the more expensive version.

Assuming you define affordable as well below new in box, retail - scour the Internet sites for the big box stores that also sell used instruments and stand behind them. Safer overall than eBay and Craigslist, but a little costlier.

I believe people are throwing suggestions because there isn't such a thing as an affordable hummingbird? If there is ive never seen one. Maybe a 70s. To me affordable is a $1000 or under and there isn't such a thing. I think you need to define affordable? A used hummingbird will sell anywhere between 1600-2000 maybe a little more depending on various things. They are approximately $2900 new. This is the standard model. The true vintage model is about $600 more.

Give us a price range in terms of your definition of affordable. If you are talking up to $1000 I've never seen it. Expect between $1800 to $3000 and I'm referring to used (vintage) & brand new for the Standard version only. That being said though, you maybe lucky and come across a once in a lifetime opportunity like this guy did with a J-200:

An even more affordable way to go is to look at some of the Made in Japan clones from the 1970s. The Ibanez take on Gibsons is probably about as good as it got.

And sometimes it is best just to be patient and wait until you have the loot to get just what you want.

Yep not bad for the money..this one's circa '69-73 YzU2YjFhYmRlMThlODFmOWE5MzBiZjQ0NjBhOGE5MTN5UhgjsAWGZ0VwQp0xBAxTaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjZkZjkyYTExMDM2NGZiZmI3OWZlNjVhZGE2ZjVhZDRiOGU1OGQ3Y2VhMTk2NjkxODUwZGRhNmU0MTRiMjJjOC5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

Hello,

Wondering where I could find an affordable Gibson Hummingbird?

Wanted one for years and have been saving up my pennies.

Thanks!

If well discounted new today is $2300..You should be able to find one for $1700 with a lot of new still evident in it..That new warranty is good to have though.

But Ive see nice played in ones sell for $1500..

And $1500 is realistically not much for a good guitar.

What ever you do dont buy a mid 60's thru most of 1980's..unless you are looking for furniture.

What ever you do dont buy a mid 60's thru most of 1980's..unless you are looking for furniture.

Excuse me merseyb, 1965-66-67* is still the light-braced years.

Nuts narrow in, but the sound and feel remain the same.

In 1968 the braces are fortified and the soul of the models change – so does the nut width as they return to 1 11/16.

From 1970 the double X-bracing is introduced (an extra fortification) and from there – as you say – it slides down till the ship is turned in the late 80's.

Essence : from 1960 to '67 the creature is the same, , , if you accept the 9/16.

*I encountered an excellent sounding '67 a few years back. Unfortunately it was worn to the point of ugly.

Excuse me merseyb, 1965-66-67* is still the light-braced years.

Nuts narrow in, but the sound and feel remain the same.

In 1968 the braces are fortified and the soul of the models change – so does the nut width as they return to 1 11/16.

From 1970 the double X-bracing is introduced (an extra fortification) and from there – as you say – it slides down till the ship is turned in the late 80's.

Essence : from 1960 to '67 the creature is the same, , , if you accept the 9/16.

*I encountered an excellent sounding '67 a few years back. Unfortunately it was worn to the point of ugly.

Really..damn.. but those 60's Gibson acoustics were a bit crate like sounding. The Dove I had in the late 70's was a 60's with I think it had a tune o matic bridge(I didnt look at the body much cause it hurt to look at it : ) ..only the neck I loved.

These Bozeman are much better don't you think?

Im curious now,next time I see an early 60's Hummingbird or early Dove I wont just curse at it..Ill try it. : )

Archived