Gibson Brands Forums

Factory defect on an R8?

heymisterk

So while I can't afford one, the most beautiful guitar being made today, IMHO, is a Les Paul R8. So sometimes I like to "window shop."

In doing so, I found this .

Question: The seller says there is a "factory paint defect" on the headstock...Would Gibson's CS really let a guitar like this out of the shop, or is the seller full of sh*t?

Hello!

I doubt that. Looking at the pictures, the "defect" seems symmetrical, which makes me think it was caused by a guitar hanger. Maybe reaction of rubber with the nitro finish? :-k

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

I think Btoth76 has nailed it, the holly is chipped and a wall hanger would be the number one suspect. Just bare in mind that this could easily have happened in a shop so the seller might mistakenly believe this is a factory defect.

Guest Farnsbarns

Am I missing something here? There's a horrible band of flash from the camera and a couple of scratches on the edges just above the nut!

????

No, those scratches/chips are what is in question. They amount to nothing really.

Am I missing something here? There's a horrible band of flash from the camera and a couple of scratches on the edges just above the nut!

????

Hello Flight959!

The Seller Notes say: "Like new barely played in mint condition. With a factory paint defect on headstock by top of nut on both sides of front."

Cheers... Bence

My guess would be the shop.

He has a floor stand and I suspect it gets kept it in the case when not in use.

Perhaps he really does believe it was a factory -flaw but I find that concept to be a stretch of the imagination.

TBH + IMHO it's hardly a deal-breaker. A couple of seconds with a black Sharpie and who would notice? And the guitar is bound to become even more chipped if it gets played much.

I've just checked and at today's rate the BIN price is £1,673. You could pay more than that for a good S/H 1960 Classic in London. I know I did.......[unsure]

For an R8? That's "Bargain City!", folks.

P.

It's still there in Item Condition at the top; not in the body of the text.

Seller Notes: “Like new barely played in mint condition. With a factory paint defect on headstock by top of nut on both sides of front.”

P.

I chuckled a bit.

This is the begining of the holy grail of guitars! This was the year that started the biggest and best changes for the best and most desireable guitars in the world and has the same features of the 59s`

I chuckled a bit.

I laughed too, as much for the whole "THIS IS THE GREATEST GUITAR IN THE WORLD!!!" tone the misspelled words.

What I love about the R8s are the nice, plain tops on many of them: I am one of those weirdos that doesn't like a huge flame on top.

This is the begining of the holy grail of guitars! This was the year that started the biggest and best changes for the best and most desireable guitars in the world and has the same features of the 59s`

All you need at that point is 72 Virginians...

Hey AXE -- whatchya think about my quoting skills?

When I was looking for my R8 I almost bought one with hanger damage, the nitro was faded or eaten away on the sides of the headstock, the max bid was like $1,800 and I would have probably won it but the seller cancelled my bid and ended the listing.

I ended up buying from Mark's Guitar Loft an that was the right move.

When I was looking for my R8 I almost bought one with hanger damage, the nitro was faded or eaten away on the sides of the headstock, the max bid was like $1,800 and I would have probably won it but the seller cancelled my bid and ended the listing.

I ended up buying from Mark's Guitar Loft an that was the right move.

Wow, an R8 for under $2K would be the Deal of the Century.

Archived