Gibson Brands Forums

Finally Got Elitist SG

Kong

Found a deal for another Elitist, SG flavor this time. Picking it up Sunday and can't wait. If it is anything like my Elite Les Paul, I'm going to be very happy. [thumbup] Attaching seller's pics below - original deal fell through, pics of the Ebony one I scored are below in reply #17.

Found a deal for another Elitist, SG flavor this time. Picking it up Sunday and can't wait. If it is anything like my Elite Les Paul, I'm going to be very happy. [thumbup] Attaching seller's pics below.

IMG_00682_zps3665641d.jpg

IMG_0066_zpseab4641f.jpg

IMG_0064_zps9a20315f.jpg

Looks a beauty mate. If u don't mind me asking, how much did this set you back?

Well done, that looks a beaut and at such a good price.

Have you played an SG before?

If you haven't be prepared for some 'head dive'. However this is easily overcome with a thickish grippy strap. Also with that long neck fretboard orientation can be a little strange at first but that's soon overcome. I used to gig with a Fender Tele and Burny SG ( another good manufacturer) and found it ok switching between the two.

That's a gorgeous SG you've got, am sure you'll love it

Crushed. The seller changed his mind and wants to keep the guitar. I think I jinxed the sale by posting before I had it in my hands. Oh well, it is his guitar and I totally understand, but bummed nevertheless. At least I still have the Les Paul...

That is one sweet looking guitar . Weren't those made in japan a few years ago ? I know they're now discontinued .

That sucks major *** dude. Why not go and get a Epiphone Pro G-400 ? I've heard a lot of good things about those guitars .

Yeah the Elite/Elitist Les Pauls and SGs were made in Japan 2002 to 2008. After I got my Les Paul I started looking into them and they really are great guitars. Would have been 2 amazing deals in 2 weeks if I snagged the SG. There's a beautiful black Elitist SG outside Philly for a good price, but I have my heart set on Cherry. I may look at the G-400 pro, but I've got an Elitist bug now.

The Epiphone Wiki has some good info on the Elite/Elitists lines. http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Elitist_Series

well that does suck doesn't it... have patience Kong, another will probably come along (hopefully) or, ping the dude in a month or two and let him know you're still interested.

Maybe he'll waffle back...

The Elitists were great builds for sure, it would be worth the hold out, unless of course you can squirrel away some more cash-monies and get a USA made Standard..

Cheers!

/Ray

You could always look on E-bay or Guitar Center's website on their used gear section to see if they have any available . You never know. You can also type in Elite series on your computer and see if there are dealers nationwide who any any used ones available. You never know.

Thanks for the tips guys. I did see the 2 SGs on Ebay. I'm really picky though, and one is a factory 2nd which I would never buy and the other has quite a few dings including a pretty ugly one on top of the headstock. I also think the dinged one is asking too much.

There is a much nicer one on Craigs outside Philly about an hour from me. My only issue with that one is that it is black and I dig the cherry more. It is a killer deal though $500. I'm sure another cherry will come along and be a good deal (I'm also cheap lol).

Here's a link, it looks mint in the pics.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/3620577043.html

Well, I can certainly relate to being "picky!" I was so picky, about SG's for years,

that I wouldn't even look at the contemporary versions, Until this past year or so,

when Gibson (Finally) offered more models, in the "early 60's" mode, with the wider

and deeper beveling. I never objected (really) to the "batwing" pickguard, so much

as to the puny beveling that seemed to come much after 1968! So, I just never replaced

my 61 or 68, until This Year! Went "crazy" and bought 2, and thinking about another one,

as well. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did end up getting a really nice Elitist SG in Philly last Sunday. I got an Ebony Model, it is in really nice shape with a few small scratches on the front. It came with case candy, but non original case, just the regular Epi case, not the elitist. This is an amazing guitar. I love my Elite Les Paul, but these pickups sound even better in an SG. The neck is ROCK SOLID. I had one of the white 3-pickup Epi Customs and I absolutely hated it and one reason was that the neck was wobbly as hell. Anyway the long neck tenon really makes a difference. The fit and finish are just amazing on these guitars and it also plays like a dream. Now I've got a Les Paul and an SG and based on the ones I got, I'd recommend the Elite/Elitist line to anyone. They are an amazing value and just very high quality instrument. I paid $450 for the SG and I feel it was a steal.

Here are some pics:

IMAG0164_zps5290f7af.jpg

IMAG0163_zps81d247bc.jpg

IMAG0161_zpsf78b4202.jpg

IMAG0151_zps1b44828a.jpg

Well I did end up getting a really nice Elitist SG in Philly last Sunday. I got an Ebony Model, it is in really nice shape with a few small scratches on the front. It came with case candy, but non original case, just the regular Epi case, not the elitist. This is an amazing guitar. I love my Elite Les Paul, but these pickups sound even better in an SG. The neck is ROCK SOLID. I had one of the white 3-pickup Epi Customs and I absolutely hated it and one reason was that the neck was wobbly as hell. Anyway the long neck tenon really makes a difference. The fit and finish are just amazing on these guitars and it also plays like a dream. Now I've got a Les Paul and an SG and based on the ones I got, I'd recommend the Elite/Elitist line to anyone. They are an amazing value and just very high quality instrument. I paid $450 for the SG and I feel it was a steal.

Great guitar, great price.

Archived