Gibson Brands Forums

Sj200 in the house

wonderful remark

That was a

I'll get some pictures over the weekend.

If you could, that would be good. If not, no biggie. The main issue is not checking/crazing good or bad, but the misrepresentation. However it turns out, there's nothing like some good checking & crazing. Especially on a natural finish. A personal favorite; one of the 1942 opaques (shown here on a J-35):

ScreenShot2014-07-08at52250PM_zpsff1a2d8d.png

1409466449[/url]' post='15588

If you could, that would be good. If not, no biggie. The main issue is not checking/crazing good or bad, but the misrepresentation. However it turns out, there's nothing like some good checking & crazing. Especially on a natural finish. A personal favorite; one of the 1942 opaques (shown here on a J-35):

ScreenShot2014-07-08at52250PM_zpsff1a2d8d.png

[/quote

I think it has been established that some folks like vintage guitars with checking, and your 1942 is great. But the OP was promised a ten year old guitar with no checking.

OP ---> Any update on this situation? I know you said you were going to leave it alone but for some reason I don't think you did or could have.

If the seller misrepresented what they were selling you should send it back and they should pay for shipping. If they refused, put a dispute o your payment, that will open their eyes.

Interesting...

I would expect checking on an instrument that is 30 years or older [confused] ..... I recently purchased a new J200 and paid $3800 and it is flawless. Unless the J200 you acquired sounds and plays absolutely perfect, then it might be worth your energy to keep it.... Gibby's don't lose their value because of finish checking.... If that means anything to you.

For what it's worth congrats on the J200 [thumbup]

Here are the pictures that was promised a week ago.

Sorry today is my first day off since that promise.

OWF, I'm keeping the guitar. Lesson learned the hard way. I guess it's meant to be.

And to those folks saying finish cracking is normal, yes, I do understand it is bound to happen on a nitro finished guitar.

However, I firmly believe that with some careful handling, it is VERY preventable for at least 10+ years.

NONE of my other guitars(pushing 10yr mark) have any finish checking.(knock on wood). I hope it happens in time, down the road though.

Sorry the pictures are crappy.

Here are the pictures of the guitar.

Still beautiful...

SJ-1.jpg

SJ-10.jpg

SJ-7.jpg

SJ-9.jpg

SJ-10.jpg

Wow the sides are terrible. Seems that guitar had a temperature shock! Sorry man but sucking it up as lesson learned only helps the people who sold it to you to continue to screw people.

I would call the owner of that shop and ask him what is he going to do to make this right? Don't pvssy out, it is alot of money you spent.

Steady there, Sitedrifter, what might look like some major delamination on the sides looks more to these eyes like reflections. The grain of the sides is actually pretty nice. The J-200 pics do show some fairly noticeable finish cracks in the top, and back (at the waist?) however. Those should've been disclosed. The outdoor weather/sky conditions did not making documenting the finish on this guitar very easy, either. Thank you for doing your best with what you had to work with.

One thing; in the original ad for the guitar, the condition is described as "good" twice in the ad copy. Also- this guitar was a consignment sale, which may change how the seller stands behind it(?). I'm sure The 12th Fret would want to be known for customer satisfaction, and that they would appreciate the over 1000 (and counting) views this topic has generated so far. A tough economy to be selling an expensive guitar. They don't have to be making things any harder for themselves.

Hoping for a happy outcome for you whichever way it goes.

the flame on the ol girl is stunning [wub]

As someone stated, I would be more concerned as to what thermal changes the guitar went through to acquire checking at such a young age. hopefully the neck is is good and the body.... But the necks are made of maple so they do stand up to thermal changes pretty darn good.

However, if you are having reservations about the instrument, and you don't think you can over-come some of the premature character markings, then send it back [cool]

I dig the way the guitar looks.... I also like how the nitro finish has ambered... I just don't agree that the sides look bad... We'll at least that's what the images tell me.

I guess if the ad had stated mint condition than maybe I would be upset.... But according to the OP they told him there was no finish checking, so I would ask for a $300 discount. But again there are lots of people these days that pay $$$$ for checking on new guitars, I'm sure someone would pay extra for natures checking instead of the razor blade thing. So maybe you could turn it for more money, then get a newer / minty SJ200.

I'm sure if you're playing it and the setup is good, you are probably falling in love with it [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

All of you that responded with "the important thing is how it sounds, be happy, get your priorities straight". That is easy for you all to say, you all did't get screwed in the deal to the tune of 3 grand after specifically asking the question, and lied to to boot. Just because a guitar is 10 years old is no reason to count on a guitar's finish to have checking. I have guitars older than that with no checking. Yeah I'd be pretty bent out of shape.

All of you that responded with "the important thing is how it sounds, be happy, get your priorities straight". That is easy for you all to say, you all did't get screwed in the deal to the tune of 3 grand after specifically asking the question, and lied to to boot. Just because a guitar is 10 years old is no reason to count on a guitar's finish to have checking. I have guitars older than that with no checking. Yeah I'd be pretty bent out of shape.

we didn't ALL respond with that :-/

Archived