Gibson Brands Forums

Trivial Question

eldorado2001

I'm normally a fan of one colour - if the pickguard and rings are black, then the knobs and switch tip should be black too....

But in this case the gold knobs look just as good IMO.

Regards!

I like it all one color, so the black looks better to me.

BTW, that's a great looking burst on a gorgeous top. . . B)

Thanks BigK! I went to the local Rock Shop to buy a new SG Standard but left with this instead. It's my #1.

Gotta say, I like them both.

Like the contrast and the way the black looks, and the way it brings out the black rings and guard.

BUT...I gotta say the knob change really brings out the color of the top. Kinda subdues the the plastics and gives more emphasis to the wood. Not to mention, they really match the top well.

Gold, gold, gold for me with a sunburst finish. No doubts at all. Old school vintage purist that I am. Black knobs in general (although witch hats are worse) remind me of the downhill spiral that began at Gibson in the late 1960's. On cherry red finishes, black can work for me.

Pretty guitar, by the way! :)

I like the black with that finish. I purchased an ebony ES 335 back in 05, with the nickel plated pick ups and stop tailpiece and it came with the totally black speed knobs for the volume and tone.

First thing I did was order the old style chrome top knobs, sure made the nickel stand out more.

Personally I would go with "vintage amber - top hat".

You and me both. Just can't get into speed knobs, reminds me of sundials or something. It's not fitting lol. May I add it's a very subjective topic and YMMV. [biggrin]

1959_ES175D_Vintage_Burst_A05002_1_zps4iefhpzd.jpg

You and me both. Just can't get into speed knobs, reminds me of sundials or something. It's not fitting lol. May I add it's a very subjective topic and YMMV. [biggrin]

I tend to agree.

To me, 'Speed knobs' aren't faster. They kinda feel a little more awkward, and don't do the one-finger-roll like top-hat and others do.

But having said that, I prefer to have "period correct", for whatever that's worth. Or maybe it's more "type correct". Depends on what look the guitar is reaching for. Speed knobs tend to over-reach, but I have one LP with P-90's and a flame top, and I like them on there because it "reminds me" of the old Gold-tops.

• 2 months later...

Archived