Gibson Brands Forums

Gloss or Matte finish? Which do you prefer?

GuitarLight

Gloss for me. I don't think I have even one guitar that's a matte finish. Just not for me, as nothings wrong with them. I know my Strats & Tele have a matte finish back side of the neck however, but to me "that don't count!"

Aster

Yes, gloss is nice, but I don't like any of my satin finish Masterbilts any less because they're not gloss. That's how they are. They're still gorgeous guitars, and they really put out the sound, which is, perhaps, the more important characteristic.

Well leave it to me go strange lol . I like gloss but I also like a mat finish but like mentioned it's a grain thing .

I find mat finish works on highly distinguished grains . Spruce tops work well being a light color you still see the beauty it has to offer but when get tight gain woods that have high lights and are darker in tone you lose a lot there texture.

Mahogany is a main example . Sand it to perfection and you'll see one of the most beautiful woods around then clear cost it and it comes to life ! But put a mat finish on it and poof ell that beauty is gone . My guild F212 is a good example of that .

I like both as well as combinations of both but it does come down to grain types that make or break the look .

I like gloss - but not so glossy as to look like plastic - I like matte but not so matte as to look dull and lifeless - Some old guitars have that dull gloss that gives them character. There is no doubt that gloss/polish brings out the beauty of grain - old cabinet makers knew that centuries ago. And Chinese lacquered items look the business too - So somewhere in our psyche we must like shiny things.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived