Exactly, verry good upgrade Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Dave1963 

• Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

I put (or rather I paid someone) to put a non-adjustable Tusq nut on my LP Traditional. Lovin' it.
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie

#23 User is offline   gpd36 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Hi everyone,

I originally posted this on another thread, but it might be better suited here...

I have a 2015 Les Paul Standard. I have the titanium zero-fret nut fitted. My guitar plays perfectly without any open-string fret buzz with the action at the first fret adjusted to 0.012 of an inch on the low E-string and 0.011 on the high E-string. I just got a TUSQ XL nut as I prefer the more traditional look. However, when I installed the TUSQ, I had to set the first fret action at 0.019 of an inch in order to stop the open D & G strings from buzzing against the first fret. This is a real bummer for me as I am used to the lower first fret action - 0.019 is too high. I am wondering if the zero fret on the titanium nut (something the TUSQ does not have) enables me to have a lower, buzz-free action? Has anyone else who has fitted the TUSQ nut had the same issue?

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by gpd36: 01 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

#24 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

0,007 inch is nothing, zero. Change the strings you will get an other value IMHO
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

View Postgpd36, on 01 March 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

I originally posted this on another thread, but it might be better suited here...

I have a 2015 Les Paul Standard. I have the titanium zero-fret nut fitted. My guitar plays perfectly without any open-string fret buzz with the action at the first fret adjusted to 0.012 of an inch on the low E-string and 0.011 on the high E-string. I just got a TUSQ XL nut as I prefer the more traditional look. However, when I installed the TUSQ, I had to set the first fret action at 0.019 of an inch in order to stop the open D & G strings from buzzing against the first fret. This is a real bummer for me as I am used to the lower first fret action - 0.019 is too high. I am wondering if the zero fret on the titanium nut (something the TUSQ does not have) enables me to have a lower, buzz-free action? Has anyone else who has fitted the TUSQ nut had the same issue?

I suppose the string slot heights are different on the TUSQ? You might try to re-file the other slots to even up the overall string heights. Its a risk of course, but you need that sorted out. I would be most unhappy at that sort of action change. Perhaps speaking to someone at the company might be an option before trying any remedial work?

Good luck
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#26 User is offline   gpd36 

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

View PostRevolution Six, on 01 March 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

0,007 inch is nothing, zero. Change the strings you will get an other value IMHO

I know we are talking about very tiny measurements, but I can see & definitely feel the difference between 0.012" and 0.019". Just like I can feel the difference between a set of 9s & 10s - and that's only 0.001" difference between the top E-strings. My Les Paul is still playable with the Tusq nut fitted, just not quite so slick in the open chord position - and I hate compromise. [biggrin]

#27 User is offline   gpd36 

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:37 AM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 01 March 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

I suppose the string slot heights are different on the TUSQ? You might try to re-file the other slots to even up the overall string heights. Its a risk of course, but you need that sorted out. I would be most unhappy at that sort of action change. Perhaps speaking to someone at the company might be an option before trying any remedial work?

Good luck

I have spoken to someone at Graphtech, who make the TUSQ XL. They have been very helpful and are quick to respond to queries. It was explained to me that the TUSQ XL nuts are formed at high temperature & pressure in an injection mould machine - the slots are not actually cut, so each TUSQ XL nut should be identical to the next one. Graphtech's technical person suggested the problem might lie with my Les Paul's neck - and it might do, but if Gibson's zero-fret nut works with a lower nut action, I can't see how my guitar can be the problem. Graphtech has kindly offered to replace the TUSQ XL to see if that remedies the problem. If not, it's not the end of the world as the titanium nut works fine - I just wanted more of a traditional-looking nut.

#28 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

View Postgpd36, on 02 March 2018 - 02:37 AM, said:

I have spoken to someone at Graphtech, who make the TUSQ XL. They have been very helpful and are quick to respond to queries. It was explained to me that the TUSQ XL nuts are formed at high temperature & pressure in an injection mould machine - the slots are not actually cut, so each TUSQ XL nut should be identical to the next one. Graphtech's technical person suggested the problem might lie with my Les Paul's neck - and it might do, but if Gibson's zero-fret nut works with a lower nut action, I can't see how my guitar can be the problem. Graphtech has kindly offered to replace the TUSQ XL to see if that remedies the problem. If not, it's not the end of the world as the titanium nut works fine - I just wanted more of a traditional-looking nut.

The Graphtech guy is thinking on his feet and not making a lot of sense. He tells you that all TUSQ nuts are produced identical and then offers you a replacement to see if it solves the problem?! It wouldn't hurt to try a replacement, though if it works then they obviously are not all identical.

I also dont see how your guitar can be the problem. The nut should follow the 12" neck rad. Your titanium nut does it ok.
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users