Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young covers

cody78

I recorded this track just before I read the thread!

So, I bought a Martin OM28 Marquis a few years back and it has been a naughty child and hard to break in with the Adi top and my fingerpicking barebacked. And Tonerited. And fingerpicks.....and different strings...and...gave up a bit......And then a couple of days ago, there it is! Irrespective of time and tides, the guitar has just bloomed. Strings are Elixir PB 12s put on according to my note in October 2015! And it is one of my best guitars now. [biggrin]

And hot off the presses is my fingerpicking nothing like it version of NY's "Long May You Run" (1 mic in the middle: Neumann KM184>A&H Mixer>USB out>iMac>Garageband):

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/longmayyourun77c-2

BluesKing777.

Great stuff guys.

Well, since I was among those who suggested this little venture I figured I should throw one in early - I got a zoom h1 for Xmas so I just set it to 50% input and I hope it works (I'll be listening to it for the first time on this thread). Apologies for the rough playing - just one quick take on the first song that popped into my head and I put no thought into playing, just into reading the words on my iPad and trying to hold a note [biggrin] - oh well, let's see if it recorded ok (I'm excited about this zoom toy!)

https://soundcloud.com/itiswhatitis-5/ny-song-for-forum

Sweet work all you chaps. BK,Scales and Sal- all super [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup] .

Scales good to hear another Aussie voice posting.That New South Wales / Ontario accent is unique [biggrin].

Seriously you got the voice there to reach some high Neil....not so easy for some of us to play in his original keys.

Got a few days off so I will try to do something,

Kelly... Its kind of like the version on that DVD live Neil Young performance... I cant remember the name. But otherwise, its "my version" , or how I hear the song...

I can't help myself. I am home... its relaxing holiday time...

I am adding another tune to the thread. Don't Let It Bring You Down. This time on my Bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mA6jNGd8t0

Thanks to Cody for the thread, and for an always appreciated fresh approach to a Neil song, even if it involved a banjo ; ). Of course, if you had a different take on another using the G acoustic, all the better.

[Edit] - Scales; almost missed yours. (confounded little links hard to see compared to embedded vids)- very Youngian. You have studied your Neil; didn't know whether to figure out which version of Helpless you were drawing from, or to help out on the harmonies. Nice, and even the next tune (of yours) that came up in SoundCloud, "3rd Song", shows some Neil influence in his electric guitar sound.

Sal- nicely done. The ‘Bird’s sounding great. Are those the D’Addario nickel bronze lights? Sound like they’re holding up well. Don’t know if you’ve lucked into a different mic placement, or what, but it’s flat out the best sound from you coming out of these monitors.

FB- That room’s natural reverb always works well with your voice, but you’re not helping me win the argument with a Martin-playing friend who thinks (no matter how many renditions of Long May You Run are done) that Neil songs are just too blue to do. Ha- ‘enjoyed it.

Buc-sounds real good. Some past recordings had what sounded like some hot mic gain settings on this end, but you’ve really got it dialed in beautifully, here. Tried to get the Vimeo to embed for you, but not so easy on this forum.

Greetings to the board from Australia where Im vacationing right now.

Having a bit of a guitar forum detox over the festive season but still sneaking in the odd peek.

Thought Id throw this one in to this thread from a few years ago, where I was still backing up my old singer.

Always love playing this song and crowd always reacts great to it, even though most of them dont even know the track - but a great song is a great song.

Now that im doing vocals solo, having real trouble hitting the high notes on the chorus - does anybody have advice how to hit those or keep it a bit lower but still deliver impact and fullness in the deliver ?? I did ask the waitress to sqeeze my nuts during that section but she surprisingly declined [confused]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUCzrIhqQw0

Welcome home EA.In Adelaide? Hope the heat hasn't melted any of those vintage guitars at Twang Central.

I'm not sure how getting the waitress to play with the pistachio and cashew bar snacks could make you hit the high notes??? [biggrin] [biggrin] !!

Yes, in Adelaide mate. Been weird weather to say the least, i got here dec 15th, evening was freezing , around 10c ? Then it was all over the shop, yesterday 100km winds and 50mm of rain. Weird. Did make a trip to Terry shop but didnt do a recording, was just happy jamming with him and his mate on on 1936 D-18 which was ridiculously amazing sounding, never heard a Martin with so much character. Oh, and did I mention about the two 30's Herringbone D-28's he took out from the case ?

Lastly ... I played the weirdest Gibson ever, forgot the model number and should have taken a pic .... but ... get this .... the back was plastic and shaped exactly like an Ovation back - can anyone guess what model it was, unsurprisingly it was produced in the 80's, for not too long luckily ??

Greetings to the board from Australia where Im vacationing right now.

Having a bit of a guitar forum detox over the festive season but still sneaking in the odd peek.

Thought Id throw this one in to this thread from a few years ago, where I was still backing up my old singer.

Always love playing this song and crowd always reacts great to it, even though most of them dont even know the track - but a great song is a great song.

Now that im doing vocals solo, having real trouble hitting the high notes on the chorus - does anybody have advice how to hit those or keep it a bit lower but still deliver impact and fullness in the deliver ?? I did ask the waitress to sqeeze my nuts during that section but she surprisingly declined [confused]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUCzrIhqQw0

That looks like it was a good night. Guitar sounds spot-on, and great percussion & vocals.

Aside from the Vienna Boys Choir route, don't know of any tips for hitting the high notes like your singer was able to sail right up to, but I've noticed when up there, the sound seems to be coming from the upper areas, as opposed to the diaphragm.

That looks like it was a good night. Guitar sounds spot-on, and great percussion & vocals.

Aside from the Vienna Boys Choir route, don't know of any tips for hitting the high notes like your singer was able to sail right up to, but I've noticed when up there, the sound seems to be coming from the upper areas, as opposed to the diaphragm.

You can reverse engineer the tune. Play just the chorus in different keys until it is comfortable to sing, or cheat by capoing up perhaps 5 frets ie. Once you have it, squeeze the verses in.

You do need to get the chorus right even though it is a high harmony voice on the original you are probably thinking of, as well as NY, but capoing the guitar up loses a fair bit of the full guitar boing, doing and flongs! [biggrin] that is, it won't sound as 'big' as NY's guitar.

BluesKing777.

........does anybody have advice how to hit those or keep it a bit lower but still deliver impact and fullness.......

In my experience it takes a larger volume of air to hit, hold and give power to the high stuff, so breath control becomes even more important when singing high. One of the things I spend a lot of time on when learning a new song is when and how to breathe in the lyric. How much time do I have to grab that breath? How much of a breath do I need to deliver the next phrase? What happens at the end of that phrase? Lots of repetitions, over and over, practicing the inhaling as much as the exhaling. Still, no matter what the register, it is necessary to push with the diaphragm. Yes, it does seem that the higher registers might come from the head but it is still the diaphragm pushing a controlled volume of air through stretched vocal cords to get to the high stuff. My thinking is it takes more air to vibrate tight cords (the high stuff) than it does to vibrate the lower tension of cords singing something low. Not trained as a vocalist, I could well be wrong, but it feels this way to me.

My singing mantra: get the breathing right and push from the diaphragm (whether you're singing high or low!).

Archived