Gibson Brands Forums

Forearm Haze?

Murph

My '03 J45RW (ebony board/bridge) has a haze where my right forearm lays.

The Gibson Restorative Finish Cream made most of it look great last week. I got it with the Gibson Fretboard Conditioner, pack thingy with the Metal Cleaner.

But the haze around the forearm area didn't go away. I didn't want to rub too hard.

Is the nitro going away, or should I rub harder, or use a cleaner?

My left thumb area is through the finish, but never had that haze.

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

My bet is it would go away if you stopped playing for a few weeks and let the finish dry out.

You gonna do that?

If I'm right- and that's only a maybe- then you will have some haze there from now until winter when it will go away in the drier air most likely.

Life with a nitrocellulose finish. You could always buy a Taylor, or on eof those guitars with a polyurethane type finish that is impervious to everything- including touch ups. Gibson finish breathes, it's good for the guitar, good for tone, gets hazy...

Man, I have struggled with this issue. I have the same problem. I can haze up a nitro finish in the forearm rest area in one session. Very frustrating. No problem with urethane finishes. Just screw up my really nice guitars. After much soul searching, I have come to the decision to use John Pearse armrests on all my Gibsons. I've had them on 3 guitars. Some people like the way they look, some don't. I like them personally, but it's a matter of taste. My only worry is whether or not the tape will cause any long term damage to the finish. I've come to the realization that my forearm WILL cause long term damage for sure, so the point is really moot. On a really light natural top, the shielding of the top may darken less under the armrest due to shading from light--so that may be an issue. Probably no big deal on a sunburst or maybe even an antiqued natural finish. I've read that they can be removed without damaging the finish, but you have to go slowly, using a little naptha to clean the tape residue. Personally I've never tried to remove one, but that would also be a variable to consider. I also like the way the bare wood (rosewood) feels on my arm--much better than skin on lacquer, but again that's probably personal. I've never noticed any tonal difference, either positive or negative. It may not be the best solution for everyone, but it's worked out well for me. You can also wear an old tube sock, with the toe cut out on your forearm. I'm not cool enough to make that look work for me though.

Here's the webpage:

http://www.jpstrings.com/braccess.htm#Armrest-n

Dwight

AND..... seeing as summer's just around the corner....... a BIG reminder NOT to use bug spray on yourself and play your guitar. It will damage your finish. For those of you who may have missed this last year, TaylorPlayer and I actually damaged the finish on our guitars from the DEET in bug spray!! ;)

So' date=' it's better than the Gibson Restorative Cream?

Safe for the Nitro?

[/quote']

I've used Virtuoso for about 15 yr.

The short answer to your ? Is it better than the Gibson Restorative cream, is, "I don't know!!)

Is it safe for Nitro----Yes it is. I first heard of Virtuoso from Acoustic Guitar Magazine,they gave it rave reviews & I have used nothing else,since.

I find that with this stuff you do a lot less polishing. If you use a micro fiber cloth, in between cleaning, & polishing,

my guitars "seem" to stay nice longer?

Could be one benefit of declining eye site.

;)

Karen' date=' I was wondering about that just the other day. I take you had no luck bringing back the Finnish?[/quote']

No, not yet. I can't get the right materials up here so I've just left it for now. I might take it in to L&McQ and see if they can buff it out, or know someone who can. :-(

AND..... seeing as summer's just around the corner....... a BIG reminder NOT to use bug spray on yourself and play your guitar. It will damage your finish. For those of you who may have missed this last year' date=' TaylorPlayer and I actually damaged the finish on our guitars from the DEET in bug spray!! =D> [/quote']

Everytime I think about my bug spray goof at our cabin I just want to... =D> My AJ is not likely to be going back to the cabin anytime this summer. I will either bring my bullet proof Taylor or now that I have my LG1, I may just bring that. (I am still swearing off bug spray forever. If it can do that to my guitar, imagine what it is doing to my skin! =D> )

I will say that the Mequires #7 and #9 polishes worked excellent on that issue. The biggest area was where my forearm rested on it and is the same area that the OP is concerned about the hazing.

The advice I got on that was to leave it alone for a few weeks to let the Nitro reharden and then use the #7 followed by the #9 and wax with a good carnuba car wax (I used Zymol... great stuff!) If you click on my signature photo, you can see, today it looks like it did when it was new. I was so happy to get it looking good again which is funny. With my 64 LG1, I love the finish cracks and distressed areas. It is part of the "Mojo" of that little guitar, but with my AJ, I want it to stay new looking as long as possible. Having that bug spray area was driving me nuts! Every spot that was dulled by the bug spray is now gone. I do have to touch those areas up every so often with a bit of the Zymol, but my micro fiber cloth is usually enough to buff out the area to a nice shine when done playing at night.

You could always wear a long-sleeved shirt when you play. Same principle as the guitar sleeve, arm sock, etc., only less ridi****us. Then the whole thing is a non-issue and the cleaners and polishes unnecessary.

Just thought about this: if the haze doesn't go away, you could always write a song about it. The song could begin: "Forearm haze, all in my brain / My guitar finish sure don't seem the same / Lookin' funny and I don't know why / 'Scuse me while I go put on my guitar sleeve."

Yes' date=' the Virtuoso Cleaner will remove that forearm haze, but it will return. Gotta love nitro! A guitar is a tool and will, over time, bear some of the marks of being used. Don't sweat the small stuff........enjoy the music![/quote']

I've reliced a few in my day. I gigged bars with a '72 Les Paul Recording for 14 years and wore it out. Down in the sweaty South in those days.

I'm not sweatin' it (no pun) just noticed it wouldn't clean off. Hell it's the first time I tried.

It's an '03.

So, go figure!

=P~

Murph.

Yes' date=' the Virtuoso Cleaner will remove that forearm haze, but it will return. Gotta love nitro! A guitar is a tool and will, over time, bear some of the marks of being used. Don't sweat the small stuff........enjoy the music![/quote']

+ 1 Buc!

And if you don't like the "sweaty natural look" on your guitar try wearing a shirt with sleeves when you play.

Ditch those "Wife beaters"

Just thought about this: if the haze doesn't go away' date=' you could always write a song about it. The song could begin: "Forearm haze, all in my brain / My guitar finish sure don't seem the same / Lookin' funny and I don't know why / 'Scuse me while I go put on my guitar sleeve."[/quote']

Thanks for making me chuckle during a terrible hangover :-)

Archived