Gibson Brands Forums

Let's See Who's the Fastest(best) Guitarist!

There's something to be said about playing fast.

It can be a useful tool when it compliments the music, weather it's a change of tempo that adds dynamics to the song, or a balls-out race from start to finish that serves the song.

It's completely up to the artist and their self expression.

Now I'm not knocking the contest, anything that gets people playing, competing and having fun is a good thing.

Contests are fine, but I don't think speed is a determining factor when it comes to labeling something as "Best".

Especially with guitars. There are so many ways to express yourself with the instrument, that the label: "Best"(and I hate labels when it comes to art of any kind), if it's gonna be put on anyone, should be put on someone who has figured out a way to milk every possible way of expressing themselves out of the instrument.

If blazing speed is your self expression, then so be it.

But should you be labeled "The Best" just because of the speed?

Maybe what's really being asked is "Who is the Best "Fastest" Player?".

You can be the best, or at least faster than the next guy when it comes to different individual guitar-playing skills, but it's a proficiency at all guitar playing skills that would justify a "Best" label.

In auto racing, it's the fastest qualifier who sits sits on the pole, but it's usually the driver who's lucky, and consistant in their speed, timing and how they negotiate the track lap after lap who wins.

The fastest don't always finish 1st.

Speed skills should be part of the total "Workout", but you gotta exercise every muscle.

There's something to be said about playing fast.

It can be a useful tool when it compliments the music' date=' weather it's a change of tempo that adds dynamics to the song, or a balls-out race from start to finish that serves the song.

It's completely up to the artist and their self expression.

Now I'm not knocking the contest, anything that gets people playing, competing and having fun is a good thing.

Contests are fine, but I don't think speed is a determining factor when it comes to labeling something as "Best".

Especially with guitars. There are so many ways to express yourself with the instrument, that the label: "Best"(and I hate labels when it comes to art of any kind), if it's gonna be put on anyone, should be put on someone who has figured out a way to milk every possible way of expressing themselves out of the instrument.

If blazing speed is your self expression, then so be it.

But should you be labeled "The Best" just because of the speed?

Maybe what's really being asked is "Who is the Best[b'] "Fastest"[/b] Player?".

You can be the best, or at least faster than the next guy when it comes to different individual guitar-playing skills, but it's a proficiency at all guitar playing skills that would justify a "Best" label.

In auto racing, it's the fastest qualifier who sits sits on the pole, but it's usually the driver who's lucky, and consistant in their speed, timing and how they negotiate the track lap after lap who wins.

The fastest don't always finish 1st.

Speed skills should be part of the total "Workout", but you gotta exercise every muscle.

You don't seem to have watched the video.[biggrin]

I kind of think fast playing being musical is opinion. It can be used in cool, artistic ways instead of just showing off or soloing. It's useful but not necessary.

I've heard and seen a lot of really fast players who I thought were boring crap. Robots really.

To be honest, there is a limit past which a guitarist can not put any expression into the notes, because of the speed. Even Santana is guilty at times of putting speed before expression, and when he does this, I tune out.

To my mind, the best guitarist who is very fast but has got the balance right has got to be Richie Blackmore. He really pushes the boundaries, but still sounds melodic. It is probably due to his classical training.

His successor at Deep Purple, the late Tommy Bolin, also had it.

Archived