Gibson Brands Forums

funk guitar

ericlees

hi, anyone does play funk with an epi? which model? im new to this genre and i use my ibanez rg prestige (neck pup) or some between neck and bridge, a boss distortion and an ibanez weeping demon and works ok for me, but im looking for that funky tone, any epi that could make the job? i like screaming headless torsos=d>

You can get funk out of a dot with the kinda pups I have in' date=' yeah.

But I always see jaguars as funk guitars, really.[/quote']

??? A Jag is a surf/alt rock guitar ....true you can get funky on any fender...but you need the position 2 and 4 on a strat to be truely funky IMHO.

Besides a Fender, I would go with a semi-hollow. Although the guitar is a factor, the amp, pedals and most importantly the refinement of technique I believe is more important.

As a side note: an instructor on land and web suggested this book to me as a way of developing rhythm technique. I have a number of different books, so even though I haven't used it yet, the guy that recommended it to me has given me a few suggestions on books and so far all have been great.

Funk Guitar - The Essential Guide by Ross Bolton

The Funk Brothers, used Telecasters and ES 335's mostly. Might have been a Les Paul Custom or two, in there,

as well? A lot of James Brown's Funk stuff was ES-335's or ES-355's as well. So...??? Funk's more a style, anyway.

If you like the sound of a particular artist, see what he/she's playing (guitar, amp, pedal boards), and do likewise.

But, as in most cases, it's the player, not the gear. Just my 2-cents worth...

CB

Sorry to contradict you, Charlie, but facts is facts. Jimmy Nolen was James Brown's guitarist during the time he was scoring his biggest hits, and his guitar of choice was a big ol' hollowbody Gibson ES-5 with three P-90's. That's the ES-5 on "Poppa's Got A Brand New Bag," "Cold Sweat," and I believe "I Got You" as well. Motown's Funk Brothers (being jazz musicians by training and background) used Gibson L-5 on many of their early tracks --- all of which serves to underscore your comment that "it's the player, not the gear." True dat!

Tower of Power, aptly cited as masters of funkaliciousness, have boasted several superb guitarists. The first, Willie James Fulton, was a Telecaster guy all the way, as was Memphis' Steve Cropper. Bruce Conte was next up, and played "What is Hip," "So Very Hard To Go," "Squib Cakes," and other masterpieces on a humbucker-equipped Les Paul. Jeff Tammelier, one of ToP's more recent axemen, used Strats, Tele's and 335's, and has produced an excellent instructional DVD on funk guitar playing.

You can git fonky on purt' near any guitar with the right playing style, attitude, --- and a nice, bright, clean crisp amp tone, with maybe just a touch of grit. I also find a lighter, thinner pick than I normally use for jazz helps both with tone and execution of those quick rhythm strokes.

Sorry, Parabar...the only thing I saw, on the Funk Brothers, had a telecaster, les paul custom, and 335 guitars in use.

It (no doubt) wasn't the original sessions, though. So, I defer to your expertise. However, I have seen several photos of Joe Messina using a white Telecaster, about that time. So, I dare say, they could have used whatever

they had, at any given time. Same, with James Brown footage...and, probably, a faulty memory?! LOL!

Whatever, the case may be..."Funk" does not require any specific guitar! Only a style and attitude, along with some

decent chops!

Cheers,

CB

Of course it's attitude and chops more than the type of guitar.....I just like starting trouble:d/ .........If you all remember a guy by the name of Tony Maiden he played humbucker equiped guitars in "Rufus" and he was one funky Mofo. I still like position 2 and 4 on a strat though....just makes you want to spank out a little Sly or James Brown....but you can do it on any guitar ...true dat.

Archived