Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Walsh Concert

retrosurfer1959

Just a update from the post a few weeks ago about going to a Joe Walsh solo concert for Halloween - What an amazing player if you get the chance to see Walsh play a solo concert go. He's a great player and an even better showman even after all the years of hard living. The show was in a fairly small venue and he and the place rocking from his first song to his last even through a couple of his new songs like Wrecking Ball and Analog Man as well as many of the old favorite. He must travel in a semi though just for his guitars as almost every song had a new guitar and it was all over the place Dusenberg Starplayer (main Guitar), Dusenberg Doublecat 6, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat, PRS, a Schecter for Slide???. Charvel and what looked like a Rickenbacker all pushed through a Doctor Z and a fender Twin Reverb. he also had a small pedalboard that was mostly Boss! so much for he argument that Boss sucks and you need huge Marshal stacks. His tone as always was amazing and his skill? well let's just say he hasn't lost anything over the years and the way he can use a Bigsby makes me want to remove all of mine.

Not a Carvin guitar or amp in site? guess that's only on the touring rig for the Eagles?

Just as a note his back up singers were amazing especially one woman who sang in the #1 position she was freaking amazing they did "I Shall be Free" with Joe just playing guitar and it's probably the best version Ive ever heard.

The average age of people in the crowd was probably pushing 50 which I guess is no surprise since it's been almost 20 years since he's released a album but hopefully that will all change early next year when a new solo album comes out.

Good to hear that he still has the touch. I doubt he'll come to Blighty any time soon but 'Hope Springs Eternal...' as the saying goes.

I've been a fan since his 'Rocky Mountain Way' and 'Turn to Stone' days. Like a lot of people (at the time) I couldn't understand why on Earth he joined The Eagles. I was utterly baffled!

Incidentally the first time I actually noticed a flame-top LP was on the sleeve-liner for his 'So What' album in about '74 or '75. It was drop-dead gorgeous and clearly had a lasting effect on me....

P.

I've seen him live twice now. Once at a private company event which was Glen Frey, Joe, and some backup guys doing whatever Eagle songs they could without Henley's okay LOL (mid 90's or so) and a year or two ago with the Eagles in Anaheim. Had seats good enough to really watch him. He is just friggin' awesome and I swear he has about an 8 fret stretch on his left hand [flapper]

A lot of insight into JW in Don Felder's book about his time with the Eagles (Heaven and Hell). Interesting read if you're a fan.

He is just friggin' awesome and I swear he has about an 8 fret stretch on his left hand [flapper] A lot of insight into JW in Don Felder's book about his time with the Eagles (Heaven and Hell). Interesting read if you're a fan.

That is no joke he has amazingly long finger almost like one of the alien hans, And when he shakes hands they evn feel very long a delicate don't dare squeeze at all,

He really interacts with the audience a lot not problem keeping chatter going and very personable he announced that he was going to do a touching and sincere love song that went a little wrong and he performed ILBT as the crowd roared.

He came out and said he was really sorry that he was required to perform this song even if it did get many of us in trouble while we were younger and he was pretty sick of it so he was just gonna get it over with and he started into Lifes Been Good to Me so far.

Again if you get a chance to catch him solo next year when he releases the album do it he's a hell of a performer.

like I said it was a pretty old crowd but funny to watch they were partying downI would guess that the average age in the audience was 55 with people up into there 80 rocking out. There was a cute older woman behind me with a walker about half way through she asked me if I could help her out by switching her oxygen tank! after I swapped it she was singing away

Archived