Gibson Brands Forums

NGD & NCD (New Camera Day)

capmaster

The lead guitarist in my first band where I was the singer played an Ibanez Musician MC 300 which fascinated me since then. After long years of looking in vain for a nice one at a reasonable price, I finally gave up and decided to go with an Artist model with Gibraltar 08 bridge, sustainblock and tailpiece, ceramic-loaded humbuckers, and TriSound switches as key features.

All of the pics I previously posted were snapshots taken with a cheap webcam, and I thought I should get my first digital camera for posting pics of my SG Supra that anyhow do her justice. I finally went with a Canon PowerShot SX270 HS, and before I take pics of the previously mentioned SG, I thought I use my new Chinese guitar on a budget for my first steps in digital photography.

So here she is - my Ibanez Artist AR 720 FM AWB (Flamed Maple, Aged Whisky Burst), not the camera ;)

2fe8bac1-653a-42b3-9ab9-524ea1487049_zpsb7fd2099.jpg

Front_zpsa4ba9786.jpg

Top_AvailableLight_zps03773ac9.jpg

Top_zpsa3d475c4.jpg

Back_zps6bdebcab.jpg

Peghead_Front_zps30027492.jpg

Peghead_Rear_zpsc53c4d01.jpg

Inlays_Bindings_zpse2ee0b40.jpg

These are clear, detailed and look good to me but I'm no photographer!

A lovely guitar - I hope you won't stop there as you have a very fine collection...bring 'em on!

Best wishes!

These are clear, detailed and look good to me but I'm no photographer!

A lovely guitar - I hope you won't stop there as you have a very fine collection...bring 'em on!

Best wishes!

Thank you very much, Jdgm. I guess I came to an end though.

Until now I didn't mention the craziest thing that happened around my new Artist which is my second Ibanez guitar. Loosening the counter nuts for enabling bridge and tailpiece adjustment requires a rather thin-walled 8.0 mm hex wrench not included. [crying]

Then I remembered I possibly had a matching one on the shelf since over twenty-seven years: As the only redundant one among the tools supplied then, it had come with - my 1986 Ibanez RG 430 I bought new in mid-1987, and it worked! [lol] After adjustment it took its place in my AR 720's case.

Incredible how that thing came full circle now after so many years. [biggrin]

There's an interesting point I think I should add. The Ibanez AR 720's fretboard is made of fine ebony as clearly visible, at least where inlays and bindings left space for wood. ;) When comparing to the Richlite board of my Gibson SG Supra, they feel pretty close. The Supra has MOP inlays, the AR 720 MOP & abalone, so there's not much of difference, too.

I like that Ibanez. Great photos too.

It's kinda interesting, even Japanese guitars are made in China. :-k

At nearly three times the price, they make the AR Prestige models in Japan, without the abalone, a deeper neck set, thicker body, so perhaps less neck-heavy. There also are some other differences like a plastic TRC saying "Prestige" mounted with two screws instead of rosewood held by three screws, plastic tuning knobs, and old-style TriSound switches in the correct positions - I swapped mine for that.

I was pleasantly surprised they don't use a scarf joint for the headstock in China.

At one point in my life, when I had a LOT of money, I went on a search to buy a 335. I wasn't going to spend it all on guitars, mind you, but rather I happened to be playing, wanted one, and could actually use it.

It isn't that there were not a lot of nice ones, and not to be too picky, but the criteria of a particularly bright one AND that "perfect to me" neck was something realistic to come across.

While on my search, came across an AS-100, or JS-100. Japanese reissue. It wasn't a Gibson, not a 335, but man, did it fit the bill. Paid 1500, a lot for a Japanese guitar. And no, I wasn't buying it to "save" 1000 bucks instead of the Gibby. I had the money for whatever I found. (Still looked for the Gibby, in fact).

One thing I remember being impressed with was the hardware. Very smartly done. Not just different, but functional, AND I thought sounded good. Certainly at least had the qualities I thought SHOULD result in good sounding stuff.

Oh, I miss it. Sometimes this forum can be a source of pain for me.

Oh, I miss it. Sometimes this forum can be a source of pain for me.

Sorry for your emotions, didn't intend to hurt you. I think I can comprehend due to sometimes feeling this way, too. [crying]

There's another point I want to describe here. Before trying the AR 720, I had read on the web it was strung with .009 - .042 D'Addarios. Thus biased, in an instant the strings felt rather stiff to me. Bendings and looks as well made me believe they were .010s.

After stringing with .011 - .050 as planned, the guitar played as desired. Then I read measurements of the original string gauges before discarding them, and they were .010 - .046 indeed.

So in the end everything is fine. [smile][thumbup]

I hope you will get over your sad feelings, Stein. [unsure]

Archived