Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Old Band picture or your Old Self picture .

DonCarlos

i saw a picture in another thread that showed a member "Jerry" with his old band from 1967. I found it interesting and wondered if others may share that interest as well.

So I am asking members to contribute to this thread with a photo of their Old Band or Old self. You can add whatever comments or dialogue you want. Please include the Stage name and instruments displayed. The word "Old" is pretty relative, so show us something when you were younger.

I cannot contribute a photo because I am not sure one even exists. I will look.

If this thread dies....then it was bad idea.....but if it doesn't die.........then it was worth starting.

Best Regards

DonCarlos

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this thread dies....then it was bad idea.....but if it doesn't die.........then it was worth starting.

Best Regards

DonCarlos

It's not a bad idea at all. It should probably be in the Epi Lounge section though. [wink] I think it'd be awesome to see some old band pics from the forum members.

i saw a picture in another thread that showed a member "Jerry" with his old band from 1967. I found it interesting and wondered if others may share that interest as well.

My signature photo was taken about 1967 in a place called The Golden Disc. It was a place for teens to go Friday & Saturday night to hear local bands, no alcohol. Our name was Subject to Change, which I thought was hysterical. People would ask what our name was, we'd say it's Subject to Change. Well, what's your name today???

That's me on the left with the 12-string that looks like a Rickenbacker, but it's actually a Japanese copy. Tommy played a Ace Tone keyboard, Nick sang, Bob was our first drummer, Ron played rhythm and Pete was the bass player (he had good equipment). Ron had a 4 pickup Teisco Del Ray, but in this picture he was playing my friend Vinny's Framus.

Here's the only other photo we know about:

20071_316461054490_316450744490_3312544_2800675_n.jpg

This was taken near Ron's house, and our High School was just on the side of the tracks. John was the original bass player, but was only with us a short while.

Here's the story about my phony Ric... I wanted a Ric ever since I saw Lennon on Sullivan. I would go to the City with my friend Vinny (the guy with the Framus) and check out Manny's and the other stores on 48th Street. We were looking in one of the windows and Vinny pointed out the Ideal 12-string. We asked how much, guy said $100 and $10 to hold it for a week. Between the two of us, we just about came up with the 10 bucks. Went home, told my parents, my Mom says no way. She orders my Father to go to the store and get the $10 back, and makes me give him the receipt. A couple days later, he comes home from work and tells me he has groceries in the trunk. I go to the car to get the groceries, and there's the Ideal 12-string in the truck. I'm sure my Mother gave him hell for that!!!

I found one a few years ago, needed to be restored but I bought it for old times sake, but have since sold it. I replaced the bridge and pickups with All-Parts and only put 6-strings on it.

ideal%20full.jpg

Here's the story about my phony Ric... I wanted a Ric ever since I saw Lennon on Sullivan. I would go to the City with my friend Vinny (the guy with the Framus) and check out Manny's and the other stores on 48th Street. We were looking in one of the windows and Vinny pointed out the Ideal 12-string. We asked how much, guy said $100 and $10 to hold it for a week. Between the two of us, we just about came up with the 10 bucks. Went home, told my parents, my Mom says no way. She orders my Father to go to the store and get the $10 back, and makes me give him the receipt. A couple days later, he comes home from work and tells me he has groceries in the trunk. I go to the car to get the groceries, and there's the Ideal 12-string in the truck. I'm sure my Mother gave him hell for that!!!

Great stuff. I wish you had a pic of your face after you got the "groceries"!

Me, on the left, with Gretsch Country Gent, and Vox "Super Beatle" amp, at age 16 (1966)

08-20-2008122537PM.jpg

With my "Bedroom Amp" (200 watt Marshal Major) "in the summer of 1969" (age 19)

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

CB

Wow, I'm loving your gear CB! Do you still have any of that stuff?

I am enjoying this........great photos.....great guitars........more. LOL

Okay the only thing I could dig out with an instrument was this one 40 pounds and 40 years ago, from 1971. Not sure what the acoustic was, but it was some off brand thing I picked up in Toronto during a summer of traveling the country (as many many did back in the old days). Holes in jeans, guitar n hand and hair pick nearby. Right Brother Right On !!!!!

1971.jpg

Wow, I'm loving your gear CB! Do you still have any of that stuff?

No...sorry, to say. [blush][crying] I sold it all, when I stopped playing (1972),

for 30+ years. I did start buying guitars (out of nostalgia, mostly)

right after John Lennon's death. And, I kept doing that, off and on,

up to the present. But, I didn't really start playing, again...with

any degree of "regularity" (if you can call it that?), until about 5

years ago. Now, I play almost daily...for better or worse. LOL

CB

Country Gent and Super Beatle?!? [drool]

Yeah, a Great sound, truly! Wish I still had that Beatle amp.

I do have a Country Gent ('66)...see below, but not that exact

one. It needs new "body binding," as the original is crumbling,

as is often the case, with old Gretsch guitars, from that period.

DSC_0001.jpg

CB

Archived