Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a Black Beauty

jonwhite2227

IMHO, good price, it's a real Epi, and is beautiful.........Uber congrats..............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

( because it's used, you might wanna sell it to me, and buy yourself an unblemished NEW one......)...[sneaky] ...

Huge congrats JW. Couldn't have a finer Epi Les Paul. Great price too.

You'll be pacing all day and night till she turns up I'll bet. It'll be worth

the wait I'm sure. Hope you got a good hardcase as well. You can't have one of

these beauties without a beautiful, protective Epiphone HC to tuck her away

at the end of play.

Paid $1500 for mine in 2004. [scared] BIG price difference eh?

My favourate axe man. [thumbup]

cimg1119s.jpg

You're gonna love it!!!

Paul

This might be a noob question but how do the dials work with the 3 humbuckers? Does each dial control 3 coils?

The Ace Frehely model has 3 humbuckers and it's laid out with 3 volume knobs and a master tone. I believe the black beauties are the same.

This might be a noob question but how do the dials work with the 3 humbuckers? Does each dial control 3 coils?

Hey there WP,

I can only tell you how my Epi BB3 is set up, and that is:

switch in up position/ neck pup/ neck volume and tone.

switch in mid position/ mid & bridge pup/ bridge volume and tone.

switchin in down position/ bridge pup/ bridge volume and tone.

I believe that's how thy're supposed to be wired standard but, there are

probably different set-ups also.

eg: 3 pups/ 3 volumes/ one master tone. (much more versatile) [thumbup]

I got a G400 Custom wired that way from factory. The Limited Edition version.

Cheers

Paul

Congrats,you really got a good deal on that Black Beauty.The beauty of them is in the way that they are wired so that you can play it like a standard Les Paul simply by turning the middle pickup volume

control off completely.I love the Epi humbuckers,they can get out a real raunchy ZZ Top tone or really lush and mellow jazz tones and anything in between.

To be honest, I wish you'd saved your money and found a Gibson instead. My 2000 model of the '57 BB cost me $1200 in 2000. 12 years later it's worth right around $4000. I never play the thing. It's awful, heavy and I don't want to mess it up. I have other guitars to play, this one was an investment. An Epi will not appreciate with time, not on the open market. There's an epiphone submarket that might give you a bit more 20 years down the road, but while the Gibsons have gone up 300% in a dozen years, the Epi's won't go up 30% in 25 years. Keep it mint and you could get your money back on it someday, otherwise, no. You can't buy a mass-produced copy of a historical reissue and expect it to go up in value. I don't say any of that to make you feel bad, it's just the economic reality of the guitar market. FWIW, I play my 2007 Epi LP more than my newest 2010 Gibson LP. It's sonic faults are made up for with my MFX, it's easier to play and it's worth a mere $700 versus $2600. No point in dinging another investment guitar up! -Rod-

"I never play the thing. It's awful, heavy and I don't want to mess it up. I have other guitars to play, this one was an investment."

"FWIW, I play my 2007 Epi LP more than my newest 2010 Gibson LP."

You play your Epi but store your Gibsons. So which really is more?

Couldn't edit last post so I'll post correction here. (word omissions)

"I never play the thing. It's awful, heavy and I don't want to mess it up. I have other guitars to play, this one was an investment."

"FWIW, I play my 2007 Epi LP more than my newest 2010 Gibson LP."

You play your Epi but store your Gibsons. So which is really is worth more?

didnt buy it to resale it lol :)

To be honest, I wish you'd saved your money and found a Gibson instead. My 2000 model of the '57 BB cost me $1200 in 2000. 12 years later it's worth right around $4000. I never play the thing. It's awful, heavy and I don't want to mess it up. I have other guitars to play, this one was an investment. An Epi will not appreciate with time, not on the open market. There's an epiphone submarket that might give you a bit more 20 years down the road, but while the Gibsons have gone up 300% in a dozen years, the Epi's won't go up 30% in 25 years. Keep it mint and you could get your money back on it someday, otherwise, no. You can't buy a mass-produced copy of a historical reissue and expect it to go up in value. I don't say any of that to make you feel bad, it's just the economic reality of the guitar market. FWIW, I play my 2007 Epi LP more than my newest 2010 Gibson LP. It's sonic faults are made up for with my MFX, it's easier to play and it's worth a mere $700 versus $2600. No point in dinging another investment guitar up! -Rod-

The bridge and middle pickups share a volume and tone.

The neck has it's own.

When The pickup selector switch is in the middle position ONLY the middle pickup is heard.

That's the way my new one is anyway. Its a new Chinese one.

I can't speak for any of the older ones made in Korea.

not the greatest pics but i snapped a couple with my phone from the link this is the guitar i bought

HNGD! Nice guitar!

You don't live on the moon do you? It looks like that's where you took the photos. If that's the case, $450 shipped to get it across a quarter of a million miles of space is definitely a good deal. [biggrin]

Archived