Gibson Brands Forums

My cafe Gigs are NOT over!!!!!

onewilyfool

Some great points on both sides of this issue.

I doubt anyone's mind was changed, but at least we got to hear both sides of the discussion.

I'm sorry Wily lost his gig,

One day we may all be in his situation, and if/when that happens, minds could change.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, news update....The owner is willing to pay the fees, NOT ONLY for my playing, lol, but mostly so they can play their IPOD music. He is dealing with BMI. So here's the next scoop, as soon as you pay the BMI fees, incredibly and spontaneously ASCAP shows up with their hand out. So now you're not talking about $375, but $750! What these organizations don't tell the coffee shop owners, that if they are members of the Specialty Coffee Association of America, they can get coverage from BMI and one other organization (not ASCAP) for$250. But anyway, looks like I can go back to the gigs, IF I play only BMI songs.....lol...this is so convoluted, that it is humorous to me....lol

OK, news update....The owner is willing to pay the fees, NOT ONLY for my playing, lol, but mostly so they can play their IPOD music. He is dealing with BMI. So here's the next scoop, as soon as you pay the BMI fees, incredibly and spontaneously ASCAP shows up with their hand out. So now you're not talking about $375, but $750! What these organizations don't tell the coffee shop owners, that if they are members of the Specialty Coffee Association of America, they can get coverage from BMI and one other organization (not ASCAP) for$250. But anyway, looks like I can go back to the gigs, IF I play only BMI songs.....lol...this is so convoluted, that it is humorous to me....lol

What strange times we live in.

I should come over to hear you now before your accidently play as ASCAP song!

Since I'm only there two days a week, he told me it's mostly for the iPod use...lol...should I be offended??...lol

No.... if he told you he paid it for you, you'll only get a big head and ask for a double mocha or something!

Glad you've got your gig back, Wily. Have a blast playing the songs you love. Also, don't miss this opportunity to use your enthusiasm to write some of your own material and start mixing-in some old traditional songs with your sets. Somewhere along the line this issue will pop-up again at a venue you're playing. I've learned a bunch of cowboy songs. They're easy-as-hell to learn, and even easier to play (three chords and a cloud of dust). Plus, if you learn to play the harmonica with the cowboy songs it grabs the interest of people. Even the ones who are obsessed with their computers. Have fun with it, my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived