Gibson Brands Forums

Do you sing using amplification?

Riffster

Whether is lead vocals, harmony or background.

What voice effects or what voice processor do you use?

Just curious

I am looking at a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic to get reverb, delay, etc just for harmony/background

So what gear do you use to get reverb o vocals? effects right on the PA?

I have a powered PA speaker that I use to play along backing tracks but it does not have any effects.

Effects from the board. I also have them add some subtle reverb/delay on my guitar, especially during my guitar solo (yes, I'm that much of a show-off) when I need some extra depth to the sound.

Do you mean "amplification," or a processor (or, both)? We have a decent PA,

and our "lead" singer (the guy that's "Stuck" doing most of the vocals, that is),

has one of those processor's that has all the effects, as well as harmony options.

It probably has "pitch" control, as well...but, we've never caught him using that,

even when he probably should have! [flapper] LOL I much prefer "straight" vocals,

and "real" (human being) harmonies, to the "processed" variety. But, you do what you

can, realistically, to try to give the best result. [tongue][unsure]

CB

So what gear do you use to get reverb o vocals? effects right on the PA?

I have a powered PA speaker that I use to play along backing tracks but it does not have any effects.

Yes, from the board unless the room is bouncy enough already. I think that box would do what you want. It looks like it can do some pretty intense stuff, so the basics should be covered for sure. And I think TC's reverb sounds are pretty top notch generally.

I wonder though...

Many outboard processors can be used in the effects loop of your PA. Looks like this one has to go up front. Does this mean you are sending your mic through its preamp and then into the preamp of your PA? I'm sure they have considered this, but that's two preamps for your mic signal. Sounds good in the demo though and the price is pretty sweet.

Charlie, I am just talking about any effects, whether they are added in the PA a pedal processor or board.

I do not play live but I am going to jam with friends again soon and would like to have the right gear when it comes to backing vocals.

I guess I have to look and see if my buddy's PA has effects or not, I doubt it, he uses a large TC Helicon processor now, he didn't use anything before.

The Mic Mechanic seems like a nice tool to have and for the price probably can't be beat, especially after applying coupons.

Surfpup you bring a good point about the preamp, I did not realize this unit had one.

I can't sing worth a damn but I am trying to do backing vocals at least and going dry is not helping...does it ever? [flapper]

Charlie, I am just talking about any effects, whether they are added in the PA a pedal processor or board.

I do not play live but I am going to jam with friends again soon and would like to have the right gear when it comes to backing vocals.

I guess I have to look and see if my buddy's PA has effects or not, I doubt it, he uses a large TC Helicon processor now, he didn't use anything before.

The Mic Mechanic seems like a nice tool to have and for the price probably can't be beat, especially after applying coupons.

Surfpup you bring a good point about the preamp, I did not realize this unit had one.

I can't sing worth a damn but I am trying to do backing vocals at least and going dry is not helping...does it ever? [flapper]

Understood. With my allergies, I can't sing long, or hard, because I start coughing. So, my singing

is very limited, anymore. No one wants to amplify, or process THAT, I can assure you. [flapper] LOL [biggrin]

CB

If by amplify you mean making up for the bits that are reduced during compression, I do that by adjusting the volume.

Compression and EQ are all I use. Rabs showed me to use reverb and it can sound good/interesting, but I don't like the idea of...cheating? While I learn to sing better and better and learn to use the most basic of functions on my DAW, I'd rather go with less fx.

If by amplify you mean making up for the bits that are reduced during compression, I do that by adjusting the volume.

Compression and EQ are all I use. Rabs showed me to use reverb and it can sound good/interesting, but I don't like the idea of...cheating? While I learn to sing better and better and learn to use the most basic of functions on my DAW, I'd rather go with less fx.

Isn't compression a form of attack correction?, in this case note correction?

Using reverb isn't cheating, it is simply used to give depth, to make up for the natural acoustics that would otherwise exist in a given room. Most likely listeners expect it.

The pedal I am considering buying actually has a pitch correction feature of 1/2 step/note, that's not a lot of help for a bad singer, you still have to "get there". But backing vocals do not grant the use of it anyway.

Also I guess it depends on what you are singing, some songs have a more dry sound to vocals, some others benefit from a wet sound.

Here is the unit:

TC21180_zpsfe39ac86.jpg

Using reverb isn't cheating, it is simply used to give depth, to make up for the natural acoustics that would otherwise exist in a given room. Most likely listeners expect it.

The pedal I am considering buying actually has a pitch correction feature of 1/2 step/note, that's not a lot of help for a bad singer, you still have to "get there". But backing vocals do not grant the use of it anyway.

Also I guess it depends on what you are singing, some songs have a more dry sound to vocals, some others benefit from a wet sound.

Here is the unit:

TC21180_zpsfe39ac86.jpg

TC Helicon appears to be one of the good voice processors in my opinion. This is only based on what I listen to while others use it since I don't own one myself. The one guy who I see uses one plays an acoustic gig and sings by himself and the unit seems to add depth and a good quality reverb to his voice. He has a mid-range voice naturally and doesn't do much in a high vocal range although he seems to be able to hit low notes and it sounds pretty good. I've considered getting one of these units myself so I'd be interested in your opinion of the unit if you go ahead with the purchase.

I've heard some bad pitch correction out of a unit that was hooked up at our local music store. It was a Tascam model but I don't remember the number on it. If you didn't get close enough to the note it corrected the pitch in the wrong direction. If you are able to try the TC Helicon processor first before buying it I'd think that would be very advisable.

GB

I'll look into that pedal, it sure looks interesting.

@ Riffster

I put a question mark after the word cheating because I couldn't find the right word. I don't think of it as a bad thing, far from it...nor do I think it is gimmicky. I don't know, something about it feels off though...Maybe it has to do with all the Ani DiFranco I listen to. It doesn't sound like she's using a thing in her first few records. I sort of like the "dry" of it.

I use compression mostly to make up for the quiet parts of the vocals in recording and have only started using it a week ago, so I may not be using it correctly or know exactly what it is doing, but that's what I hear, anyways. :unsure:

I assure you that 99.9% of the music we hear on any recording has some degree of processing, since you are amplifying and or recording voice through a device. The only time there is no processing is when somebody is singing without a mic, then only physical attributes of acoustics come into play.

When it comes cheating I think a lot us have an opinion of what that means but I would like to hear the opinion of a hard rock lead singer that has 5 shows a week including traveling to see what they think of 1/2 step pitch correction.

Heck there are $7000 voice microphones, is that considered cheating? It shoul be LOL Obviously the same person singing the same stuff through different microphones is going to sound different.

But yea I think that all of us think that because somebody sounds natural in a recording there is no processing involved.

I assure you that 99.9% of the music we hear on any recording has some degree of processing, since you are amplifying and or recording voice through a device.

When it comes cheating I think a lot us have an opinion of what that means but I would like to hear the opinion of a hard rock lead singer that has 5 shows a week including traveling to see what they think of 1/2 step pitch correction.

Heck there are $7000 voice microphones, is that considered cheating? It shoul be LOL Obviously the same person singing the same stuff through different microphones is going to sound different.

But yea I think that all of us think that because somebody sounds natural in a recording there is no processing involved.

Call me nuts but I don't think Bonnie Raitt would stoop to autotuning. I didn't say no processing, I just think it sucks when a singer makes you believe they are capable of hitting notes they can't hit. When Madonna made Ray of Light we all knew she was using loads of fx and I saw nothing wronog with it because it was needed to create the right sound, I can't say it wasn't sad to see her live and hear her NOT hit certain notes and sound horrible. [mellow]

Auto tuning is too new for me to even care, most music I listen to is from prior to the invention of it.

I am not sure who uses it and who does not, I know your voice can sound like a robot through it and that is funny.

Still I would like to hear what touring pros think of the whole thing, I am mildly interested only though I am not a singer myself neither do I aspire to be.,

The intent of this thread was not related to cheating or auto tune, just something more realistically practical.

Whether is lead vocals, harmony or background.

What voice effects or what voice processor do you use?

Just curious

I am looking at a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic to get reverb, delay, etc just for harmony/background

I use the mic mechanic. Its a versatile pedal. The only issue I have with it is sometimes I want the effect without the pitch correction and visa versa I wish rather than using the dial you could footswitch this its a bit awkward to do that with a guitar round your neck for different songs

How to amplify and enhance vocals is a hugely interesting subject... [thumbup]

As mentioned...doing it live and often is a good way to improve vocal performance whether lead or backing

When working with powered speakers, there are some excellent low cost mixers with dFX built in and accessible...

It can be great fun to experiment with delay/chorus/phase/flange/reverb/comp etc

Mics vary in their response...so worth borrowing/hiring some alternatives to find a personal favourite

Most important IMO is good monitoring to hear and react to harmonies etc...also relative volume levels...

Enjoy... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

My wife got me the TC Helicon Voice Play Live GTX w/controller mic for Christmas. So far I've only used it on one gig...worked like a charm. Sounded like "Norman's Bait & Tackle Choir" when I wanted. Recommended... just don't expect any helpful instruction with the unit past plugging it in. It takes some experimenting to get any sounds. Thats my only complaint with it.

The only "effect" I've ever used for vocals has been eq and depending on the rig, a tiny bit of reverb. Different eq on different mikes.

I've considered getting one of those boxes that'll mess with the voice a bit and might even allow harmony, but every time I'm about to pull the trigger, I think, "Gee, my voice ain't wonderful, but it's my voice and... isn't that what I'm using to sell a song?"

Then I don't get the box. Two weeks later I get thinking about it again and look through Sweetwater's on line catalogs and... then I get thinking the "naaaah" thing again. That's been going on for two years now.

The past 10 years I've either run through a PA board or through my little AE amp that's designed for a mike and guitar in different channels... In fact, the line out from the little AE is all I use to record practices to tell me what I'm doing both on guitar and vocally.

I dunno.

Also, one thing my Dad taught me ages ago on speaking through a mike, and singing ain't that much different, is how to use to utilize vocal dynamics and yet be heard. Basically if you're hollering, be farther from the mike and if you're nearly whispering, swallow the doggone thing.

OTOH, I do think that a decent eq to overcome whatever the mike's weaknesses might be - or the voice's weaknesses - is a good idea. I think it was less of a problem with the "warmer" tube PAs I used in the '60s and largely through the '70s and "dumped" when I went into "Life #2."

EDIT: If you listened to Sinatra in the late '30s and then later, when the diff was largely in recording equipment and increased depth to his voice... you've gotta wonder how much was which.

Pitch correction? If you're sliding by intent, do you want it?

m

Archived