Gibson Brands Forums

Today I played the new J-35!!!

onewilyfool

I played the J-35 today....light as a feather!!!! Tight like any new guitar, but it had 80/20's on, which were pretty bright, needed a setup, but all-in-all a great little guitar. Added attraction to me, the mahogany smelled wonderful. The price was $1499, and I almost got it....and I may still get it, but it probably won't be there long....Just have to figure out how to get rid of two guitars I have ( New rule, one in, two out!!...lol)....Those of you who haven't played one, get down to your local store and try one. If it is anything like the one I tried....bring your checkbook!

Played one on Sat and was impressed and tempted- for the reasons mentioned. It, too, needed a set-up; the action was higher than anything I've seen in a long while.

A std J-45 hanging next to it was even awesome-er, though (but with pickguard out of place); there was an undeniable richness that, to my ear, justifies the $ difference. (Anyone else underpressed with the burst colors of recent models? Where's that touch o' yellow or orange? They're too brown and monochromatic of late, imo.)

Still, two fine guitars to hold and play and lust after.

I played the J-35 today....light as a feather!!!! Tight like any new guitar, but it had 80/20's on, which were pretty bright, needed a setup, but all-in-all a great little guitar. Added attraction to me, the mahogany smelled wonderful. The price was $1499, and I almost got it....and I may still get it, but it probably won't be there long....Just have to figure out how to get rid of two guitars I have ( New rule, one in, two out!!...lol)....Those of you who haven't played one, get down to your local store and try one. If it is anything like the one I tried....bring your checkbook!

Which two out? You'll be 15 years waiting for that J to loosen up. Take yer' meds and don't spend impulsively. New wood=stiff tone.

The one I played last week was lightweight,sounded very resonant, had very impressive wood aesthetics.

The set up as perfect. (One of the best set-ups I've tried on any new guitar in recent memory)

It took every fibre of self discipline not to hall out the credit card on the spot.

I would "Tonerite" this baby for 3 weeks solid, and it would be tamed....lol......but you may be right, I'm too old to take a project on like breaking in a new guitar....lol

Breaking in a new guitar is not my issue. :rolleyes: On the other hand, breaking in another Visa payment.......... [sad]

I also played a J-45 next to the J-35 just for reference......The J-45 looked better, sounded better, BUT I was still drawn to the J-35 because it was sooooo light. I know that lightness will translate into great sound. It sounded very good as is, but, the J-35 has GREAT potential......hmmmmmm, got to stop thinking about this guitar!!!! One thing, this guitar is quite the plain Jane.....I imagine it needs to be because of costs......but still, the simplicity has a beauty of it's own, and again the lightness against the chest, is just a great feeling vibration wise.....

The lesson here seems to be wait a couple years for some cowboy to play cowboy chords on it for a couple years and then pick it up 2nd hand for under $1k ...

Jeez, Mark, you really know how to bring people back to reality......

Why spoil the fun?

• 9 months later...

I bought a J-35 in Nashville last spring, as I wanted something that sounded great to take out and play live, without having to take out some of my more expensive or rare Gibsons. This guitar has been fantastic. Light weight, great pick-up, looks cool and sounds killer. I'd recommend it!

My J-35 came out of Nashville as well, GC to be precise. They had two new J-35s, so one of the guys played both and sent me the one he felt sounded and played the best based on what I was looking for. It had a couple small finish cracks on the top near the fretboard so ended up receiving quite a substantial discount after bringing it to their attention. Great sounding guitar and love the light weight. Excellent balance, good bass response, and very articulate and focused for my needs playing Irish/Celtic in DADGAD. Nice looking woods and I can deal with the finish cracks at the price I got it for. Overall, the action was good out of the box for my needs, but had to lower the action at the nut a bit and will be removing the Element UST, making a new bone saddle and installing a better pickup system, probably a K&K, JJB 330, or Lyric. I've never liked UST pickups, nor volume wheels in the sound hole. But this is an excellent guitar with great potential as it opens up over time, and I'm looking forward to trying the new J-15 and J-29.

In 40+ years of playing, touring, studio work, etc, I've never been a Gibson fan and this is my first. So that says a lot. I like the J-35!

DC

Finally pulled the trigger, and got myself a J35 a few days ago. Took advantage of the Gibson special of 24 months interest free financing from Sweetwater. Its a sweet guitar. Im glad I got it. People said it sounds to much like a J45, well, I have a J45, and I have to say that it sounds slightly different. Its more brightt in the mids, which is a good thing. Its different, and I need that. The J45 is a little more warmer sounding, which I love also. I could not afford an AJ, so the J35 is as close as you can get with the same bracing, thus the tone. Love my J35. Would I recommend it? Oh yes....

Congrats on pulling the trigger, brannon. Glad you got a good one. After buying the J-35, I had an opportunity to compare it with a new AJ for about 1/2 hr and still would choose the J-35. The AJ was nice with a fuller tone because of the rosewood/adi, but the J-35 just has more 'life' to the sound, brighter and more focused with better mids and better overall balance, still with good bass response. Great for fingerstyle or aggressive strumming.

Well I found one at the local Guitar Center and played it along side a few other great acoustics but for some reason I was drawn to that J-35. It looks very nice and the sound really surprised me for some reason.

I thought about it and could not get it out of my mind so yesterday I bought it. I am a finger style and thumb style player so I set it up as I like, and I am very pleased with this guitar.

I have played archtops and Telecasters with a neck humbucker for pop, jazz and country for 50 years and now I want to get into playing acoustic most of the time.

Love the tone and I think it will be fun............pvp

Archived