Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed

Twiz

Pretty Cool seeing Robbo playing his Travis Bean Artist instead of his LP for a change!

Much as I like the Eric Bell stuff no band (IMHO) has 'done' twin-leads with quite as much success and sheer joie-de-vivre as Lizzy.

Puts on asbestos suit............

P.

Great stuff, I'm really looking forward to the Black Star Riders album.

Ian.

From what I've heard so far (the singe "Bound For Glory"), it sounds like modernized classic Lizzy to me! Ricky Warwick and Damon Johnson are doing a killer job with the songwriting.

Great stuff, I'm really looking forward to the Black Star Riders album.

Ian.

Yes me too.. I saw their "tribute band" Thin Lizzy at Hammersmith a while back and they were good (but too loud for my old ears [scared] )

. Think they probably should have stuck with the name though. It's a real shame the boys didn't live to re-form. They would have stuffed todays opposition !

I always liked this vesion of another Lizzy classic...

[small point of pedantry, as is my wont;

Goodness knows why it's listed as being from '76....[blink].... It was first broadcast in 1978.

P.

Probably talking about the single release date which was '76 [thumbup]

The list of great guitar players who played with that band is fantastic, Scott Gorham. Eric Bell, Brian Robertson, John Sykes, Snowy White, Gary Moore and umm Midge Ure? Well Midge is a bit of a strange one to have in the list, but never mind! Have I missed anyone out?

Regards,

Ian.

The list of great guitar players who played with that band is fantastic.......Have I missed anyone out?

Only Phil Lynott.

[wink]

[thumbup]

P.

EDIT : I just did a wiki search for fun and here's the full list;

http://en.wikipedia....zy_band_members

I notice they only include Midge as a 'Touring Musician' meaning, I guess, he was never considered to be a full band-member.

Interesting to see how he got the spot, though (it's in the wiki entry for the band proper).

Probably talking about the single release date which was '76 [thumbup]

Ah, that could well be the explanation.

I know it couldn't have been from a '76 broadcast for two reasons;

Firstly, the show was hosted by Annie Nightingale (trust me) who took over the reins as compere from 'Whispering' Bob Harris in '78.

Secondly; I used to tape the Whistle Test on a compact cassette recorder (I still have the tape) and that version of DBAW was Moore's second song on the programme.

The first song he introduced as being : "...the title track from my new LP, 'Back on the Streets'..." which (I've just checked) came out in the Spring of '78.

Johnny the Fox was actually my first Thin Lizzy album... 8 track no less. [scared] And I still think Scott Gorham had the best rock and roll hair ever! [thumbup]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!

In my opinion, he's rather underrated when it comes to accolades. One might think he's another 70s blues-rock run-of-the-mill player (ignorance!), but he created some of the most melodic solos and riffs, and he kept up with Gary Moore and John Sykes while being a heroin addict! He can play with the best of em'.

And he also has one of the best vibratos I've ever heard.

Pretty Cool seeing Robbo playing his Travis Bean Artist instead of his LP for a change!

Much as I like the Eric Bell stuff no band (IMHO) has 'done' twin-leads with quite as much success and sheer joie-de-vivre as Lizzy.

Puts on asbestos suit............

P.

they "set the stage" for the next decades' great 2x lead teams such as Judas Priest & Iron Maiden, both of which are still in my top-5 all time metal favorites !!

but there's just no replacement for T/L and especially Poet-Phil......imagine the ruckus he & Gary Moore are causing in heaven now !!!!

...I'm trying to persuade my band to do Cowboy Song and Boys are Back. [thumbup]

Go For It!

I STILL love to hear it when they go from the last barre'd A of 'Cowboy Song' straight into 'The Boys are Back...' on Live and Dangerous.

Brilliant stuff.

P.

Archived