Gibson Brands Forums

who wants a music room like this ?

JuanCarlosVejar

found an article about a filmmaker named Bruce Hendricks :

IMG_6385_zpsefcc6864.jpg

I guess Ren made a second Pirates guitar .

check out the interview :

Music and film have been a lifelong passion for Bruce Hendricks. A filmmaker for more than 25 years, Hendricks served as a producer, director, and studio executive on blockbusters that include The Sixth Sense, Armageddon, The Rock, Alice in Wonderland, and the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, where he met guitar legend Keith Richards. Hendricks has also been a pioneer in digital 3D photography, with directing credits that include the Hannah Montana Best of Both Worlds 3D concert film and Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience.

How did you get started collecting guitars?

When I was in my twenties, I had to sell my only guitar, as I needed the money. I swore that once I could afford to, I’d buy several guitars and would never sell any of them. I’ve stuck to that, with the exception of occasionally donating to a charity or gifting a friend. With my collection, I try to keep things diverse. I play in a local Los Angeles band called Plan A, and we like to mix things up, so having different types of instruments helps create different sounds for us.

How do guitars fit in with the design aesthetics of your home?

I used to keep them in cases and rotate them out when I wanted to play them. Then one day I had the opportunity to work with Keith Richards on Pirates of the Caribbean. He was kind enough to sign a Custom Shop Gibson J-200 that was made for me as a Pirates-themed guitar. When I told him that I would never play it for fear of scratching it, he gave me the best advice on guitars I ever received, which was, “Just play it.” It was that simple, but honest. Now I leave out all my favorites in every room of the house.

What do you look for in a guitar?

The neck has to feel right. Guitars speak to me in a very primal way. There’s either a connection or not.

What are some of the guitars in your collection?

I have a beautiful bird’s-eye-maple Les Paul signed by the man himself! I also have several Custom Shop Strats, including a 75th anniversary model celebrating Disney (number four of 75) and a 2004 50th Anniversary Custom Shop Stratocaster. My acoustics include a custom Taylor cowboy sunburst acoustic made for the 2003 NAMM show, a Taylor Koa 12-string, and a Martin HD28V acoustic. I also have a National Reso-Phonic for slide playing, and, of course, my Keith Richards–autographed J-200

Which of the guitars is your favorite, and why?

In the band I play my 50th Anniversary Strat along with my Les Paul. For acoustic playing it’s my Martin D-28 and my J-200 Pirates of the Caribbean guitar.

What’s your dream purchase?

My dream purchase would be Brownie, Eric Clapton’s ’56 Strat, which sold for $497,500 in 1999. I like to dream big! On a more realistic note, I’d like a ’54 Strat to go with my 50th Anniversary model Strat.

JC

A Martin HD28V...

A Taylor Koa...

Why is he wasting his money on that ?

The music room needs to eliminate that Wall to Wall carpet and get some echo in there..

If the room is big enough my 7X10 Persian Isfahan Carpet would add some color..and allow me to get another guitar..

No doubt, that is a pretty cool room and few people would turn it down if they had the opportunity to have a room like that, but we all learn that life isn't always fair. Some people get lucky breaks, some people make their lucky breaks, other just hang in there and do the best they can. I've learned to accept and live with that, so I'm pretty happy with my 12x14 office/computer room/music room/studio. It's my so-called man cave. It doesn't mean I wouldn't like a room like that, but in all sincerity if I had that room it wouldn't look near as organized as it is...lol...I don't watch a lot of sports, so the part of the house that is truly mine is this room and I'm one of those "there's a method to my madness" kind of people. I don't envy the room this guy has and I certainly don't mean that in a smart-*** kind of way. I admire and respect the kind of talent and means people like him have. It's just that I have to do what I can and be who I am. As things have turned-out, I'm "me." I wish him and all others with more elaborate music rooms than me the very best in life. Fortunately, I tend to be very content with what I have. But still, I can dream about his room...lol

Regarding Bruce Hendricks: I've read a couple of stories about him and he comes-across as a pretty decent and down-to-earth guy. Both stories mentioned that he's a lover of guitars and has some very special Martins and Gibsons. [thumbup]

A very nice room, but not a music room really - more like a bar/lounge with plenty of booze up the back.

And the Boss would have banned all leads, recording gear, assorted bits and bobs and all the stuff needed to learn a few riffs, gaffa tape etc, etc and strings and and and......

While my little dark cave can be a touch messy, it is perfect for what I do - play and learn and record acoustic guitar.

BluesKing777.

I would like that room as a lounge room!

My "room" is the left side of the bed in our bedroom lol - my two acoustic guitars, a Kustom PA that doubles as an amp, a Zoom effects, direct box, cables, little box of Dunlop nylon flatpicks, and some sheet music sitting around. Sit on the edge of the bed, play/compose. My wife's side of the bed is more normal, poor girl . . .

"A very nice room, but not a music room really - more like a bar/lounge with plenty of booze up the back."

Just what I thought too, thats a bar room not music room. My little collection and my dining room work fine for now. And gives me the excuse not to entertain much. msp_thumbup.gif

The first thing in my mind when I saw the picture though was, GET THOSE GUITARS AWAY FROM THE WINDOWS!!

The first thing in my mind when I saw the picture though was, GET THOSE GUITARS AWAY FROM THE WINDOWS!!

You sort of hope they just put them there for the photo. If not, I hope he's got shades to protect them!

A man who is afraid of picking up his pirate-guitar for the risk of dinging it, doesn't deserve a pirate-guitar.

Apart from that he looks like a privileged and happy fellow.

There's even a trace of latent pirate there somewhere – between his facial expression and the wet wall behind. . . .

A HD-28V, ,, , alrite

Summers are so short but so awesome where I live that I prefer to play outside whenever I can. I particularly like it when birds start to fly in and forage closer and closer to the music, acting like they are nonchalantly picking at bugs but I know they are listening. I was once playing outside in a courtyard down in Texas and these two peacocks grazed over about ten feet away from me and just hung out. I'll always remember that. But it's playing outside over a room any day, for me.

Summers are so short but so awesome where I live that I prefer to play outside whenever I can. I particularly like it when birds start to fly in and forage closer and closer to the music, acting like they are nonchalantly picking at bugs but I know they are listening. I was once playing outside in a courtyard down in Texas and these two peacocks grazed over about ten feet away from me and just hung out. I'll always remember that. But it's playing outside over a room any day, for me.

My favorite thing in the whole wide world to do, play guitar outdoors! I was playing on my daughters deck in the Rockies enjoying the view when a hawk came and circled for a good amount of time. Think he was listening to me. Probably thought there was another bird crying for help! lol

Don't want the room, don't want the electrics, don't want the Taylor & the alcohol, I WANT JUST THE BLACK PEARL......... Mine, mine!!!!!

I'm with you, Krassi.... none of the guitars gets my blood pumping...'cept the Black Pearl!!

I thought that Ren built the "Pirates" guitar for Johnny Depp? As I recall, that guitar had a very ornate carved bridge, this one doesn't. There must have been a series of "Pirates" guitars or did Ren actually make a few of them?

I was thinking the same thing - I was more impressed with the bar than the guitars or the room.

The bar might prove problematic. I could envision never getting past the bar to get to the guitars.

Archived