Gibson Brands Forums

1965 LG-1

ol fred

On a trip to Nicholson's Music in Folsom today the Mgr showed me a gorgeous 1965 Lg1

No Scratches, minimal checking and from the looks of the fretboard virtually unplayed. $1650.00 on consignment.

if interested contact Dave at Nicholson's 916 983 0763

My only affiliation, where I buy my gear

On a trip to Nicholson's Music in Folsom today the Mgr showed me a gorgeous 1965 Lg1

No Scratches, minimal checking and from the looks of the fretboard virtually unplayed. $1650.00 on consignment.

if interested contact Dave at Nicholson's 916 983 0763

My only affiliation, where I buy my gear

Fred, Ive got a 1957 LG-1 I'm considering selling for $1600, looks closet kept, small repaired crack parallel to fretboard on treble side...sweet!...just FYI...lol

Haven't you guys heard? The late 50's LG1 is a 7 to 9 hundred dollar model. Tone is everything in this market and when Gibson wasted their time with ladderbracing they lost a large group of potential buyers. The lack of bass response and balance makes this model frustratingly unsatisfying.

The price of the 1965 LG1 sounds a bit pricey to me. I have a 1965 LG1 in my collection. I bought it used circa 1990 for $260. Had been barely played although the plastic bridge had been replaced on it. It took awhile to break in and over the years I added a bone compensated bridge and adjusted the action a bit on the upward side, and then one day the guitar just opened up. Its not a booming guitar, but it is a sweet sounding great looking (like a little J45) guitar and one that's great to sit on the couch and just play and play.

Mine is kinda cherry burst, definitely not tobacco burst.

I'd price mine at about $900 as I've seen others in the range of $700-1200.

Its not as full sounding as a B25 or a LG2 or 3, but has its own sweet spot as a guitar. I like mine for quieter solo instrumental work (as well as when my daughter was a youngun, one to play her songs on to when she was going to sleep...with it not being too loud of a guitar.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Haven't you guys heard? The late 50's LG1 is a 7 to 9 hundred dollar model. Tone is everything in this market and when Gibson wasted their time with ladderbracing they lost a large group of potential buyers. The lack of bass response and balance makes this model frustratingly unsatisfying.

Jed, There are, as you know, many today who are attracted to the sound of the LG1 for different types of music and playing styles. One could argue that X braced guitars are common. The market for a good LG1 is somewhere between the prices you quoted, and the ones referred to by Fred and OWF. More a function of supply and demand. Not many of these are still around.

Are you serious?? If you had played a good one (and didnt strum on it) then you wouldn't be saying that.

If I want to play delta blues then nothing else sounds as good as a good LG1 (that I have played)

They are also great for slide.

pre 1960's examples in good condition with no previous repairs are rare in the UK anyway.

I know I am preaching heresy here but when it comes to ladder braced guitars I just cannot get behind the LG-1. I ain't saying they are not built well or do not sound good. And that truss rod is a very nice feature. But I have played more than a few lader braced I liked better. These tend to either be those with larger bodies (at least a 15" lower bout) or those which are lighter built often with three top braces instead of four. I just cannot escape the feeling that LG-1s are just in general overpriced for what they are.

I know I am preaching heresy here but when it comes to ladder braced guitars I just cannot get behind the LG-1. I ain't saying they are not built well or do not sound good. And that truss rod is a very nice feature. But I have played more than a few lader braced I liked better. These tend to either be those with larger bodies (at least a 15" lower bout) or those which are lighter built often with three top braces instead of four. I just cannot escape the feeling that LG-1s are just in general overpriced for what they are.

That too.

Are you serious?? If you had played a good one (and didnt strum on it) then you wouldn't be saying that.

If I want to play delta blues then nothing else sounds as good as a good LG1 (that I have played)

They are also great for slide.

pre 1960's examples in good condition with no previous repairs are rare in the UK anyway.

Nah. I've played plenty, but not to say if I was trapped in a hotel room or it was all I had to play I wouldn't appreciate it's qualities, but the lack of bass gets to you after a while. As for slide, I have what appears to be a cheezy homemade Oahu copy that I paid too much for. Sounds great, acoustic or soundhole PU. It seems a slide makes generic guitars sound good. They're plentiful here, and I'm in the sticks of upstate NY.

Zombie, every time an LG1 thread comes up, you have negative comments on them. Overpricing for one person is underpricing for another. If you do not appreciate caviar, you won't pay $40 an ounce for it. If you are a Star Trekie, you'll pay $100 for a Repro phaser. I'm sure there are guitars you'd pay more for than "market".

Those LG-1's can be pretty good in their way and lots of people like them, particularly for certain specialized uses, like slide. They are a rather different animal from an x-braced LG-2. If you are expecting a sort of general purpose, modern-sounding x-braced thing like an LG-2 you might be a little disappointed by an LG-1.

Ha Ha!

Everyone Stay Calm!

Learning slide helps because:

"Slide Players Don't Fret"

Though I am a bit tired of sticking up for my '52 LG1, but I still think the ladder bracing make them great for plunkety plunk Delta Bluesy stuff and slide.

(And the 50s ones are fairly different guitar than a 60s one - Braz RW bridge and fretboard etc...though obviously lower quality Braz, wider necks and nut....

BluesKIng777.

While I am a notorious cheapskate when it comes to guitars, to me J-50s, SJs, even the LG-2s are top of the food chain instruments. While I might grimace in pain, I would pay top of the food chain prices. How many Banner J-50s do you run across in a lifetime.

I have played and loved ladder braced guitars for alot of years and currently own 4 of them. I did not knock LG-1s, only said that in the world of ladder braced guitars, they tend to be overpriced for what they are. If I found an older one at a bargain basement price I would probably jump on it. But would I trade say either of my Oscar Schmidt-made guitars for one? Not in this lifetime.

Ha Ha!

Everyone Stay Calm!

Learning slide helps because:

"Slide Players Don't Fret"...

BluesKIng777.

Good one [biggrin] !

2 things people who are trying to sell you something say:

1) ..."Only driven by a little old lady to church every Sunday"

and

2) "Makes a great slide guitar" [wink]

From the Woof Guitar Dictionary.

Blues Guitar - any el cheapo P.O.S. guitar

Slide Guitar - any el cheapo P.O.S. guitar that needs a neck reset

Exactly right, ZW!

I live near a great luthier, so I have taken my P.O.S. to him to 'maximise' their potential if you will....turn an unplayable P.O.S. into something special. He has a few times, but he gives me a strange look!

I love my Tricone for slide, but they weigh in at about the same as carrying my wardrobe around, so when I grab the LG1 or LG0, they feel light as a feather. If I was learning a tune or 2 in say, D tuning, sometimes I do the ground work on the LG1 and after I have got it down a bit, I swing to the Tricone.

A little bit spoilt, I am!

(I am off to play some slide in a mo' - should have a new delivery this week of some Redhouse slides I ordered from Diamond Bottlenecks).

BluesKing777.

I live near a great luthier, so I have taken my P.O.S. to him to 'maximise' their potential if you will....turn an unplayable P.O.S. into something special. He has a few times, but he gives me a strange look!

I love my Tricone for slide, but they weigh in at about the same as carrying my wardrobe around, so when I grab the LG1 or LG0, they feel light as a feather. If I was learning a tune or 2 in say, D tuning, sometimes I do the ground work on the LG1 and after I have got it down a bit, I swing to the Tricone.

A little bit spoilt, I am!

(I am off to play some slide in a mo' - should have a new delivery this week of some Redhouse slides I ordered from Diamond Bottlenecks).

BluesKing777.

A Tricone will spoil you fast. Just great guitars. There is a story about Memphis Minnie blowing into Jackson, MS in a brand new convertible car carrying the first Tricone anybody there had ever seen.

I don't play as much slide as I used to. I had a 1932 Duolian but my favorite guitar for slide was a Kay Kraft. Not only was it light but it was one with the adjustable neck so it was a breeze to set it up for slide and then put it back. An absolutely wicked slide guitar.

There is a small cottage industry out there with luthiers taking in guitars like Harmony Stellas and replacing the trapeze tailpieces with fixed bridges, putting graphite rods in the necks and X bracing them. Somebody once told me that Roy Bookbinder has this kind of stuff done to all of his old guitars. I always wished though I had the skill to perform this kind of magic on a guitar.

Archived