Gibson Brands Forums

Not an Epi...

brianh

Thought you guys might enjoy this....

Lookee what came home from the guitar show with me today....

P1010031_zps25a8a0c3.jpg

P1010029_zps77d6d150.jpg

P1010028_zps15ee059d.jpg

P1010034_zps465f0117.jpg

1915 Gibson Mandolin Guitar Co. L-3 in spectacular condition! Plays and sounds great too!

Tone is damn fine considering it's nearly 100 years old. I put a mirror inside and was amazed at how well the work has held up. The binding is intact and it came with a new bridge to lower the actions and the old one including some strings from the '20's.

The B string has a little buzz at fret 1, but other than that all notes ring out.

Maybe hot pink?

Looks wonderful, Brian. Glad it plays so nice, too.

If it were mine, I would not alter the finish, and try to keep the instrument as close to original as possible. It's an heirloom! Plus, that wonderfully subtle burst is beautiful; you won't find anything like that sprayed or applied today.

Congrats and enjoy!

Red 333

Looks wonderful, Brian. Glad it plays so nice, too.

If it were mine, I would not alter the finish, and try to keep the instrument as close to original as possible. It's an heirloom! Plus, that wonderfully subtle burst is beautiful; you won't find anything like that sprayed or applied today.

Congrats and enjoy!

Red 333

Thanks Red, we were just kidding around. There is nothing to do to this guitar except keep it properly humidified, stare at it and play it every day.

I will take it to the seller's shop and ask him to address the wonky b-string though. It has never had a refret so it's got some divots at the cowboy chords.

It also came with the finger picks used by the little old church lady who owned it. I hope she died peacefully, it would be weird to hear "Nearer My God To Thee" through the vents at 2 AM....

B

2013GuitarShow_zps2c334373.jpg

Beautiful!

Gibson's from that era are so cool.

Had a 1919 "A" mandolin for many years.

Sold it & missed it terribly.

Picked up a Loar era '22 "A" last year

(first year with a truss rod).

To play a 90+ year old Gibson

is a special treat indeed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a similar old Gibson from 22.when i got it i noticed a small piece of what looked like match stick under the high e string right beneath the nut.i removed it when i restrung the old gal and the buzz was unbearable.i just broke a match and put another small piece where the original was when i got it.sounds fine now.she's a little to old for me to start fooling around with or taking apart so my plans are to keep her the way she is.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived