Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Screamer Appreciation Thread

kaleb

I love Tube Screamers (both kinds! The pedal and the, well you know). They're as big a part of my tone as my guitar and my amp. They make my solos cut through the mix like a knife through butter, and give my sound a nice midrange, not to mention they hit the front end like a mother****er! The greatest pedal ever IMHO.

Show your love for the them here. Post good examples of Tube Screamer usage.

I know its cheap and most of you guys would think the reliability is probably bad (its actually very sturdy) but I just love my joyo vintage overdrive. It does everything I need it to do and with my main guitar having coil taps its just adds even more versatility to it. For £25 you just cant go wrong and going over the schematic I couldnt really find a difference betwen it and an actual TS apart from the fact they've removed the buffer

I know its cheap and most of you guys would think the reliability is probably bad (its actually very sturdy) but I just love my joyo vintage overdrive. It does everything I need it to do and with my main guitar having coil taps its just adds even more versatility to it. For £25 you just cant go wrong and going over the schematic I couldnt really find a difference betwen it and an actual TS apart from the fact they've removed the buffer

I use the Biyang X drive with the TS chip in (you get 3 chips). You also get three modes: TS, Bright and Warm and I tend to use the TS setting. I think it a marvellous pedal and as cheap as (3) chips!

I use the Biyang X drive with the TS chip in (you get 3 chips). You also get three modes: TS, Bright and Warm and I tend to use the TS setting. I think it a marvellous pedal and as cheap as (3) chips!

And chips are cheap! Lotsa cheap fun to be had swapping op amps in overdrives. [thumbup]

Hello!

I know I've posted this picture quite a lot before:

LPST50WGCH.jpg

I use a TS-10 together with a Metal Charger from the same series. Despite of it's name, - the Metal Charger - itself is like a Tube Screamer on steroids. It has the same Opamp (JRC4558D - five of them). They work very well together. I also have a Turbo TS9DX - which I rarely use, but it's great as well.

Cheers... Bence

I've been running a Maxon OD808 for over ten years now and there is no looking back. These beauties sound great with any tube amp and guitar combo. Great for that fine sand overdrive. When I want more gravel road tones I use a Small Sound/Big Sound <F-word> Overdrive. They complement each other well, especially running the OD808 last in the chain. Lifts the sound right up into the Church of the Sonic Guitar rafters.

I love Tube Screamers (both kinds! The pedal and the, well you know). They're as big a part of my tone as my guitar and my amp. They make my solos cut through the mix like a knife through butter, and give my sound a nice midrange, not to mention they hit the front end like a mother****er! The greatest pedal ever IMHO.

Show your love for the them here. Post good examples of Tube Screamer usage.

I like the tsa15h with the ts built in. can do clean to dirty with footswitch. ibanez has done a tsa30 now with 6L6's. i'd like to see more power ... tsa50h ... i haven't tried a lot of dirty pedals but ts is one of my favs., not a big fan of distortion, od is best, fuzz is okay too. YEAH TSCREAMER!!!!

My TS9 just died this weekend. guitars fine when in bypass mode. Kick it on and it lights up but no sound at all. Any thoughts from you pedal gurus out there?

awww poor you Yeah go hug that new les paul you'll feel better ok bye

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

rct

My TS9 just died this weekend. guitars fine when in bypass mode. Kick it on and it lights up but no sound at all. Any thoughts from you pedal gurus out there?

Lotsa parts on that board Cookie, plus you have connections to the switch and 3 pots. Could something has come unsoldered. Was the switch giving you any trouble before? Those are notorious for failing. Also are you on power supply or battery? Try it on both to see if it makes a difference.

Lotsa parts on that board Cookie, plus you have connections to the switch and 3 pots. Could something has come unsoldered. Was the switch giving you any trouble before? Those are notorious for failing. Also are you on power supply or battery? Try it on both to see if it makes a difference.

Yeah I never had a problem with it ever. I've always used it with a power supply but I did try it with a battery once it stopped working but alas nothing.msp_confused.gif

Yeah I never had a problem with it ever. I've always used it with a power supply but I did try it with a battery once it stopped working but alas nothing.msp_confused.gif

Bummer. If you wanna send it to me, I'll take a look. Can't promise anything, but certainly willing to give it a try.

I do not have a tube Screamer exactly, my only overdrive pedal is a Coffin Blood Drive, true bypass, analog with a respectable amount of gain, once I bought it I never plugged my Boss SD-1 again.

The thing is that, after a while the pedal started to bring in noise and the culprit seems to be in the volume knob, I have googled it and other folks have experienced the same.

I do not have a tube Screamer exactly, my only overdrive pedal is a Coffin Blood Drive, true bypass, analog with a respectable amount of gain, once I bought it I never plugged my Boss SD-1 again.

The thing is that, after a while the pedal started to bring in noise and the culprit seems to be in the volume knob, I have googled it and other folks have experienced the same.

You could replace the pot for like $1 if you think that is indeed the culprit.

You could replace the pot for like $1 if you think that is indeed the culprit.

Do pots cause that sort of white noise?

I hardly ever use the pedal and touch the pots very little but come to think about it it got noisy when I bought me Mesa amp and this pedal started collecting dust. I like how it sounds, I may order a pot and see if that is the issue.

Do pots cause that sort of white noise?

I would generally think a lot of noise is a problem elsewhere in the circuit. However, going off of what you said about the pot and figuring it's cheap enough to try it, I figure you've got little to lose by replacing it.

I was just checking it out and after 9 o'clock white noise becomes evident and it goes steadily up, no crackle, no pops it is a very compressed noise too, seems it is the circuit is in need of a diode or resistor somewhere.

I accidentally plugged a power supply with opposite polarity into my TS-9 a while back, and of course, killed it. Does anyone have an idea as to what part(s) I fried and whether or not I can repair it?

Thanks

Mick

Are there any melted components you can see? If there are then a pic would help. There is a diode which is supposed to protect against reverse polarity. If it worked then its only that which needs replacing. Its probably something like a 1N4001 but I cant remember off the top of my head

Its probably something like a 1N4001 but I cant remember off the top of my head[/font][/size]

Any IN*** diode will work. It's possible you would need to replace some caps and the opamp too. All of these add up to a few $ in parts, so it is certainly worth trying to fix.

BTW, have you tried running the pedal on just a battery since the smokage occurred?

Archived