Gibson Brands Forums

Babicz Guitars

BigKahune

Kind of looks like someone wanted to make a clock and then stopped. Never heard of the brand before. Is it well made? Is it new? High dollar? The looks don't appeal to me, but I'd be interested in hearing one and reading a report on it. Reminds me a bit of the Rainsong look (futuristic, eclectic). BTW, Rainsongs are killer guitars, just not the sound I prefer.

I think you'll find it interesting that EARL SLICK's luthier Rick Mullen also has Babicz Guitars on his list of references/ clients.

There is the Axe Shop outside of Poughkeepsie in Wappinger's Falls that seems to be their home base. I've called on a few of their vintage Gibsons and the prices were hi hi hi.

BK; by the Electrics in your sig, I can see where you might run across the innovations in bridge design the Mr. Babicz has come up with. My first thought when I saw that guitar was;

"ok, now what if we took each attachment point, low to high, to a different distance out from the center?" But the pic of the bracing on that one already shows a bit too much bridge plate (plates) & bracing than I'm comfortable with. I don't know anything about the physics of what's going on with the vibrations of a guitar's top (other than maybe less stuff glued & screwed to the guitar's top is probably better), and I have enough trouble hearing the subtle difference in similar Gibson guitars with differing tonewoods,in traditional designs & scale lengths.

Don't know how mind-blowingly dramatic the changes might be in person, but I'll keep an eye out for him at "the shows". Better for me just to learn how to play the guitar. Or just play the guitar.

Here's a nice video interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlYD6VLRReQ

• 4 months later...

These guitars are one of the best I've had the pleasure of playing. I received mine after a deployment in 2007-2008 and haven't looked back. It took a few moments to adjust to the technology but he sound and tone is impeccable. The lateral compression sound board acts like a drumhead allowing for redicular sustain.

The achoring system directly to the soundboard causes a reverberation heard and felt while playing. The retractable neck makes for on the fly action change in a snap. If intonation is off changin it is a brezze (the bridge isn't glued but screwed down). I have not been (nor needed to) incorporate all of it's bells and whistles just yet but just the cosmetics alone starts a discussion for players and novice alike. On board electronics are L.R. Baggs (what more should be said about that?)

Limitations are minimal with this guitars technology and possibilities are endless but again I'm new to the hobby and look forward to it become so much more. Couold not have picked a better axe do accompplishn it.

Customer Service is excellent... Both Jeff Babicz and Jeff Carano stand behind there product!

post-61573-056582300 1386162450_thumb.jpg

Where do you get strings that long?

Matter of fact normal strings are that long msp_biggrin.gif

I have seen these 2 years ago and noticed a ba***** acoustic in the hands of Nickleback's frontman Chad Kroeger (now just can't find the video...).

I would like to try one of these. I love new things and guess that I'll like that.

Archived