Gibson Brands Forums

NGD ... The Circle of Life!

midiman56

So here's a fun one:

Almost two years ago, I posted this review of a "new" guitar that we got in at the store:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67846-snapshot-review-epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-custom-blackback/page__p__920018__hl__midiman56__fromsearch__1#entry920018

If you recall (or just read the review again) I was VERY impressed with this LP Custom ... and I SOLD the darn thing within minutes of taking the one and only picture of it. So that was it ... we never got another one in at the store and I moved on to other things ... UNTIL TODAY!

I got called over to the Guitar Counter to help a couple of the guys with a guitar that someone was trying to sell to the store. I recognized it right away. "Oh ... that one is called a Les Paul Custom "Blackback". It was a 70's inspired model made by Epiphone a couple of years ago and it's a really nice guitar! We had just one in the store before and I sold it the very day it came in!" Then I head a voice behind me say, "Yeah ... I'm the guy you sold it to!" ... and it was!

Heh ... same old story: guy buys a guitar on the spur of the moment, plays it a couple of times and puts it away in the case (how do guys DO that?). In this instance I believe it ... this guitar is immaculate! Long story short, the owner sells the guitar to the store and I immediately snap it up! Got the original case (also in pristine condition) with all the original Epi candy (bumper sticker and cheep-o cable) for a killer price! I didn't even have to wait the Nevada mandatory 30 days as we sold the guitar originally and could look up the receipt.

Needless to say, she still plays great and is a terrific look. Here are some pics ... today has been a GOOD day!

Jim

IMG_0180_zps52778572.jpg

IMG_0181_zps4eb24409.jpg

IMG_0183_zpse7ce2451.jpg

IMG_0182_zps15513ef7.jpg

Thanks, guys! I've been having some fun getting to know her a little bit.

The pickups are nice. They are Alnico V's that the sales blurb refers to as " Classic Open-Top™ Humbucker's". They look a little like black-top Filtertrons to me. There is no maple at all on this guitar so the sound is quite dark and mellow ... but not "muddy" ... and she sustains like a beast!

Here's a link to Gibson's spec sheet:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/70s-Inspired-Les-Paul-Custom-Blackback/Specs.aspx

Jim

That is a beautiful guitar. Man, I'd have that thing strapped to me 24 hours a day til the buzz wore off. Then just 20 hours a day.

I thought the pickups looked sort of Gretschy too. The whole thing has a very unique and classy look. Good catch and thanks for the pictures. Rock it!

Archived