Gibson Brands Forums

Played a 1935 L-00 today

RichG

It's always nice to have a little surprise like that! Thanks for sharing. The L-00 is one of my favorites too. Light, responsive, growly and bluesy. Here are my two that are playable (1937 and 1933). I have a '34 that's in shambles right now. My luthier is too backed up to take it.

DSC_0058_zps47ab2c39.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

That remarkable featherlight quality translates into such a balanced tone, if you can get your hands in tune with those physics. If anyone wants to play my '35, I insist they sit in a padded area where no accidental banging into end tables or doorways can occur. The balsa-like body can't take a hit. I love the 00 sound and feel so much I'm looking to swap out my D18 for the 00-18. I still feel you need a Martin around to compliment an old woody Gibson.

They are great guitars, and as jedzep said, they are featherweight. I have a late '30s one that is technically a L-0, since it has binding on the front and the back. It is black with the firestripe pickguard. Light as a feather, responsive as all get out! It needs some work done. The action is a bit high, but not outrageous, the first few frets need to be replaced and the bridge is lifting a bit. Because of this, I don't feel comfortable keeping it tuned all the way up to standard pitch. Once I get the repairs done, I am sure it will be a killer guitar.

Funny thing, I was in Guitar Center today and saw a guitar exactly like mine hanging on the wall. I picked it up and played it. It was not in as good a condition as mine is, and it did not sound nearly as good as mine. Considering I got mine off eBay, I guess I was pretty lucky in the tone department!

Nice. I actually asked the owner if the nut was original because it was black. I see from those pictures it is. He said it was, too. What is the material?

Good question. looks to be plastic but with a grain to it so it would simulate ebony. Plastic was really in it's infancy in those days though, so I'm really not sure. I will have to look again in the daylight. I am pretty sure I will agree it to be plastic though. and my memory tells me that it should be.

It may not be vintage, but my L-OO Legend is pretty much my go-to guitar these days. When it came to choosing a guitar to send to San Francisco for a three month work gig, this is the one that came with me.

L-00005.jpg

Nice. I actually asked the owner if the nut was original because it was black. I see from those pictures it is. He said it was, too. What is the material?

Ebony. It was pretty common in that time period.

How about the babies. Here is a '35 L-00 3/4 with its Kalamazoo cousin, the "Sports Model."

threeforths.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Yes. Very nice, all.

Now- a technical question – can anyone tell me why the photos I emailed from my iPhone to my laptop & uploaded to Photobucket appear upside down when viewed on the iPhone here in the forum, but are correct orientation when viewed on the laptop? Thanks for any ideas.

Yes. Very nice, all.

Now- a technical question – can anyone tell me why the photos I emailed from my iPhone to my laptop & uploaded to Photobucket appear upside down when viewed on the iPhone here in the forum, but are correct orientation when viewed on the laptop? Thanks for any ideas.

I'd love to know that, too. I'm using an iPad.....an old one and some pics from iPhones come rotated 90 degrees.

I'd love to know that, too. I'm using an iPad.....an old one and some pics from iPhones come rotated 90 degrees.

Got it, Rich. It's how the file is originally downloaded to "My Pictures" on the laptop. While viewing the folder that contains the pic, open the photo, & rotate it there. That seems to preserve orientation when uploaded to PhotoBucket.

L-00take2_zpsbe8683d6.jpg

Was jamming with a friend this morning and... [biggrin]

...and "Morning Jam?" The only Jam I have in the morning is Strawberry. [flapper]. That is, if you don't count the carryover from the previous evening, gone long. But that's another subject.

...and "Morning Jam?" The only Jam I have in the morning is Strawberry. [flapper]. That is, if you don't count the carryover from the previous evening, gone long. But that's another subject.

Thanks for that tip on the pictures.

A mutual friend of mine and Toby who is a bass player had a brunch. These things start as breakfast but shortly turn into music. [thumbup]

Archived