Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone wish list?

jbailes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've suggested half a dzoen models to Epiphone over the last 10 years, and all but one has been made (175, P-90 SG Special, P-90 LP Special, P-90 335 Riviera, & alpine white SG Custom with maestro). I'm not thinking I convinced them on my own, but the more requests they get, the better the odds are that it gets made.

I'd like to see Epi round out their line with:

- a double cut LP with a flame top, like Gibson has.

- a carved top SG

- an Alex Lifeson style 355 with maestro

- A 'Super SG" with a HSS pickup configuration and a 5-way switch

- a gloss finish Firebird V (two pickup) in regular production, in a variety of colors

- a 1967 style Flying V (stop bar) in regular production, in a variety of colors

- a reissue of the P-90 Sorrento (single cutaway hollowbody)

- a LP Std with the Jimmy Page wiring system

- LP Std Plus models in the same colors Gibson uses on theirs

- more models with a mini-HB neck and a full-size HB bridge

Most of the ones I'd like to see are just old models that they stopped producing. Mainly I'd just like for them to ditch the current Headstock they have on their Gibson LP & SG models and design a better one along with getting rid of the E's on their archtops or at least using the ones on their reissues as the standard.

•  
  • A Made in USA Series of Epiphone-only Models (Riviera, Wilshire, Coronet, etc.)

• Riviera (or make the Japanese-Exclusive Riviera II available internationally)

• Sorrento (and the Sorrento Special from the 60's that had two Cutaways)

• Masterbilt AJ's in Natural, No-Stain Natural, VS, Ebony, and Cherry (all of these being Satin by the way)

• Masterbilt EJ's in Natural, No-Stain Natural, VS, and perhaps a nice Desert, Tea, or Honey burst

• Maybe a Masterbilt/Deluxe J-160 in Natural & VS?

• Maybe a Masterbilt/Deluxe Texan in Natural, Cherryburst, and Cherry?

• An Epiphone-only "Bird" of some sort, much like Gibson's "Bird" Acoustics (Solid Woods preferably + Good electronics)

• A Double Cutaway Les Paul Standard (or Studio, I don't care for flare much)

• A "Faded" Series of electrics that use the same finishing technique that was used on the Gibson Series of the same name (those played fantastically!)

• A larger selection of Pelham Blue Epi's + the addition of Inverness Green Epi's too.

These are just ideas I'm spitballing. If Epiphone were to ever do these, I think they should do them as regular-production models and never discontinue them.

ya I'd ask them to bring back the Elitist line too. And on the acoustics side I'd ask them to make a Masterbilt round shoulder and square shoulder with the short scale and 1.725" wide nut, along with the Epi Les Paul style "cropped ear" headstock or the Les Paul Made in Japan open book headstock -

"cropped ear" style -

0811231104-headstock-l.jpg

Made in Japan -

ec7d_3.jpg

1970s Gibson L6-S Custom with PUs in the image of the original Bill Lawrence PUs and original circuit

2011 Gibson L6S remake (sadly out of production, too) with my tone control circuit mod - no parts needed

- a LP Std with the Jimmy Page wiring system

Why not buy a regular LP and make such wiring system ourselves? The schematic is available on Seymour Duncan website.

I think Epi could make a reissue of Blueshawk as a "companion" to Nighthawk. But possibly more important would be if they offered new pickups (e.g., Alnico Pro's or Probuckers) at least to those who already have Epi guitars with older pickups. Of course, not for free.

Why not buy a regular LP and make such wiring system ourselves? The schematic is available on Seymour Duncan website.

I've done it to a few of my Epi LP's and 335's, but it's way beyond the average guy's skill level to wire 4 push-pulls. It would be nice if a person could walk into a music store and buy a new Epi LP with a factory-installed Jimmy Page system. Especially since Epi's doing coil cut push-pulls on so many models now.

I guess I'd like to see a bit more along classic lines with archtops.

E.g., there's the short scale Byrdland; the Epi ES175 was awfully well received...

Maybe a 23 1/2 scale inexpensive LP Jr. type - and super marvelous were it to have a master volume accessible to the picking hand's pinkie finger?

And a 24 1/2 scale set of Masterbuilts...

But unfortunately there seems to be a much smaller market for such.

m

Royal tan or Iced tea burst Riviera with mini humbuckers and frequensator. 6 & 12 string versions. That's all I ask...

On a similar note, I picked up the 2013 epi catalogue yesterday in a guitar shop (uk) and on the cover photos was a sunburst guitar with mini humbuckers and frequensator that could only be a Riviera...wonder if this'll be the next 50th anniversary re-issue? A '63 riviera, short headstock etc...hope so.

Or maybe they just thought it made a nice pic??

Royal tan or Iced tea burst Riviera with mini humbuckers and frequensator. 6 & 12 string versions. That's all I ask...

On a similar note, I picked up the 2013 epi catalogue yesterday in a guitar shop (uk) and on the cover photos was a sunburst guitar with mini humbuckers and frequensator that could only be a Riviera...wonder if this'll be the next 50th anniversary re-issue? A '63 riviera, short headstock etc...hope so.

Or maybe they just thought it made a nice pic??

Was it the 62 Sheraton?

Sheraton62_VS_Splash.jpg

Was it the 62 Sheraton?

Sheraton62_VS_Splash.jpg

No it isn't the Sheraton...white pick guard, doesn't look like gold hardware and different inlays. I'll try and put a pic on. There's an arty pic inside of a mini humbuckered semi with gold hardware and a stop tailpiece..no idea what that one is either...

All kidding aside, I almost get the impression that Gib/Epi is taking a deep breath and a step back on design and manufacturing to figure how to ensure that stock will move faster.

It's a tough economy.

m

No it isn't the Sheraton...white pick guard, doesn't look like gold hardware and different inlays. I'll try and put a pic on. There's an arty pic inside of a mini humbuckered semi with gold hardware and a stop tailpiece..no idea what that one is either...

Woah cool. I'd like to see that!

Archived