Gibson Brands Forums

The Eagle has landed!

vacamartin

Very nice. How's the neck on that? Is it very narrow?

When it arrives I'll let you know what I think. From all that I learned it is identical to the neck on my L-130, which is the finest neck I've ever played. J.D.

VM ,

I wanted on so bad ... but then Big Brother said no lefty's except for J 45 standards and Hbird Standard ...beautiful

it's an incredible guitar ... I'm betting it sounds beautiful =)

did it come with a guard ? once again congrats and may it bring you many pleasures !

JC

No guard...........my take on the sound...and this is just MY take on the sound....it's a small J-35!

Absolutely correct. Before I payed my J35 I played both guitars. The Eagle sounds very similar to the J35. The sound is BIG as the sound of the J35. May be it's easier to play on the Eagle then the J35 (and the J35 is a very easy-to-play guitar!). Yesterday afternoon I was at the local Gibson Shop, played for a while (again) the Eagle there and talked with one of the guys working there who,s a good blues player and he told me that he is considerind to byu the Eagle that hangs ot their wall. The projection of this instrument is incredible! It comes without a pickguard, yes. But there is one thing I can not figure out: why the price of the Eagle is a litthe bit higher than the price of the J35?

Well I am not a small body player, but have to admit that this guitar PLAYS ITSELF! You only have to grab it...

. But there is one thing I can not figure out: why the price of the Eagle is a litthe bit higher than the price of the J35?

This puzzles me also. The J-35 has a bit more on the eye candy(not much) plus the guard.....so why does the little fellow cost more? Anyone know the answer? J.D.

My best guess would be that the J-35 is cheaper because it's built with components Gibson already fabricates in large numbers, as it shares much in common with the J-45 Standard and J-45 TV.

Red 333

So, to manufacture smaller parts, parts which are following a template they've followed many times in history costs 300 more per unit? Given its not a CS operation but a std production. You really think that equates to an extra 300 per unit?

My guess is its more of a niche market, not as pressured to hit a certain price point.

Very nice. How's the neck on that? Is it very narrow?

The Eagle has landed! The neck is no where close to a vintage "V'. It is exactly like my 2002 L-130...more soft "C" with a gentle wrap around for the thumb. Not narrow, just perfect! Tone is fabulous, Spacing is greater than I expected, just a terrific Gibson. Almost delicate in it's appearance, but it kicks out like a biker! The electronics work well(Baggs) Can't say enough accolades for this Eagle>even without a pick guard or a burst finish...Gibson did this one right! J.D.

VM ,

I wanted on so bad ... but then Big Brother said no lefty's except for J 45 standards and Hbird Standard ...

JC

Just don't understand the manufacturer's politics regarding left-handed guitars. This caused me to create a dedicated topic on the World Left Handed Peoples Day on August 13th, 2013:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/104452-thoughts-about-the-world-left-handed-peoples-day/

August 13th is an interesting date - in 1961 Walter Ulbricht had the Berlin Wall built that fell in 1989, and in 2009 died Lester Polsfuss, better known as Les Paul.

How does this compare to the Gibson CJ165, any member played (owned) both?

Fretplay.....not the cj-165, but the L-130 which is somewhat like it in size(no cut out) and bubinga instead of rosewood. I can say this....Eagle is smaller, crisp, very lightweight, and the switch to the Baggs control pick-up is a plus over the Fishman. The necks are identical. Fret-work is superb. Having these two smaller Gibsons is a great change of sound between them..........Gibson did it right, Bozeman made a winner! J.D.

Congrats. Love to try one.

Juan you must hate being a lefty! I feel for ya Man.

MOP ,

I really wanted one of these LG's but I also feel fortunate that I ordered guitars like the 1938 J 200 Golden Era and the Costello Century when I did ... that said the american eagle looked like a really sweet guitar ... I hope gibson returns to custom builds next year .

JC

Archived