Gibson Brands Forums

your girl

blindboygrunt

I just phoned Smokey Robinson to say I'd emailed him this link and that he should get on it, he told me he'd had a look and decided if Jerry K was taking part then that would be the definitive version and that he wouldn't embarrass himself to try and top it. Sorry boy's there was no coaxing him....

I live in Oakland. I just open my window and I can hear soulful singing. Now I already clicked one of these white bread renditions of My Girl. I don't think I will be clicking any more soon, thank you very much. As for people who inside of 24 hours first address me with vulgarities and then whine they have to cop some licks off me.... dream on.

Guest J-Doug

I live in Oakland. I just open my window and I can hear soulful singing. Now I already clicked one of these white bread renditions of My Girl. I don't think I will be clicking any more soon, thank you very much. As for people who inside of 24 hours first address me with vulgarities and then whine they have to cop some licks off me.... dream on.

BTW where's that rendition JerryK? We're all awaiting your enlightening version.

Putty .. Puttycat .... Prrr ... scratch ... Mew ...

Oh good lord

Being a huge, and I'd add envious BK fan for his acoustic chops, there might nevertheless be one or two songs that don't really come across on a flattop. In that genre, 'Chain of Fools', 'Respect', and 'Trouble Man', come to mind. Maybe 'My Girl' should be left to the 5 piece band and backup singers.

Guess I won't be sharing my version of 'She Left Me for Jesus'.

I've known for a long time there are a lot of blowhards on this forum...Jerry ain't one of them...

[flapper]

Well I am a bit of a troublemaker and instigator. I'm ok with that. [laugh]

Puerile blowhards, aren't they? And I really do have a couple spacey, cool chords and a slidey thing, thoughts about developing a 3 or 4 part harmony for the chorus with falsetto voice on top, yada yada that would probably lead to a nice arrangement with a little development but why would I show it now?

Nothing in the world could entice me to sit through another rendition...

Edit: I had some pm communication with BK, and I thought I'd post part of a pm I sent him.

BK,

I have no personal animosity towards you. I am sorry if my comments about the recording offended you. I actually thought it would be merciful to alert you to the impact it would have on sensitive souls. I am pretty brash and perhaps I was out of line. I was biting my tongue pretty well until somebody used some superlative to describe it and then I lost it! Oops.

snip

You are a good player and still developing, unlike some people who plateau out and then just stick with where they have gotten musically. Have fun with your music!

Jerry

Funny as this thread has been, we're nearly dipping into the 3rd day since Jerry schooled us, yet it seems the 'teacher' doesn't have the materials and hasn't turned up to take 'class' as it were. Even by mediocre standards this is unacceptable, no? Perhaps there's a Chinese master's anecdote for this because there's certainly no explanation... unless we include him hinting about people stealing his riffs! What a riot!

Although, in the interest of keeping things friendly, I'd like to post a wee pic of me & Jerry... All the best mate.

1C192A8C-7304-4D6C-A0A8-043491CFE593-3400-000001D3DF2893F0_zps043dbffd.jpg

Archived