Gibson Brands Forums

mail theft!

vacamartin

Just got the mail. My Mailman handed me a torn package. My guitar strings order was not in the package. He showed me where someone tore it open and took the strings...but left the receipt! He told me to file with the USPS on the East Coast. Did that. Anyone else experience a recent string theft thru the US Mail? J.D

Very strange. I think you must be on drugs or on cold turkey to steal strings out of a mail. How can someone know what strings he may find, and for whom these possibly were useful? Nobody will do this as long there are a handful clear thoughts in ones brain left.

Bummer...

Be thankful you didn't have a vintage Banner J45 or something of that value on the UPS flight that went down. A while back I shipped a few old gits w/o insuring them. Wadda' dummy. Never again.

Bummer...

Be thankful you didn't have a vintage Banner J45 or something of that value on the UPS flight that went down. A while back I shipped a few old gits w/o insuring them. Wadda' dummy. Never again.

ouch! I feel for ya. Guess I'll just go after Blindboygrunt..................

Thanks, but don't fret for me. I never had an instrument destroyed or lost, but came close when I sold a minty old Guild D25 that came out of the other side of a UPS journey with a wraparound side crack in the lower bout. Lost a few hundred on that repair as I could only attribute it to my not pulling the endpin and foaming the bottom of the case. Buyer was beside himself but kept it anyway. Almost lost a '37 black L00 when I shipped before an E-check cleared. It bounced twice and my postmaster arranged for the Cali post office to hold and return just as the muggers were walking in to pick up. Every time I phoned the seller to ask about the check, he was riding in a car obviously s'faced, hootin' and laughing with his girlfriend. I got the creeps and begged my PO to help out. Now I dot all the i's.

I've had three checks in the last six months that I sent to pay invoices to some of my vendors come back to me all shredded up about 45 days after I mailed them. I've had two small packages (approximately 4"x6"x1") I've sent to friends, in the last year, just disappear without a trace. I live in a town of P.O. Box delivery only so you see just about everyone at the post office and you get to talk and the amount of this kind of thing going on with the USPS is happening more and more. Big items are just too big to be ripped off but small, easily pocketed stuff seems to be the target, unless you pay extra for confirmed delivery or such. Things with the post office ain't at all like they used to be.

. Things with the post office ain't at all like they used to be.

I know that first hand. In 1968 I was a "Special Delivery Messenger" in Detroit. You remember that title? Not many do anymore, 'cause it doesn't exist now. What I saw back then was an I opener. Shame that it has just escalated to the point of identity theft, etc. J.D.

RichG.............sure hope that's the case, but this package traveled from the Carolinas to the SF Bay....I can't see it not getting noticed down the line.....J.D.

Astor..I hear ya!

Eek!

Probably only the tip of the iceberg for this type of thing with parcels shooting all over the place!

I was sitting at my computer in my front room merrily working away - I have a bit of a view across some open space and wetland all pretty nice!

'Aha', I thought! 'There is the mailman on his little weirdo scooter' Brrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnggg Chugga Chugga Reeeek (Scary scooter brake noise).

He sat out the front on his scooter, had a smoke, made a phone call to wife/friend for a bit of a chat, then wrote out the form to say I wasn't home and had to go to the Post Office the next day to pick up a parcel.

The parcel was for The Other Half's birthday, and of course she was at work in the city and they will only give the parcel to her (not me!) after she shoes her passport/photo ID.

Lazy little offer - he just couldn't be bothered getting off his scooter and assumed that like a lot of the houses around in the day, nobody was home.

Wrong!

I wish I had taken a video with my phone, but it all happened too quick for my brain...

BluesKing777.

That story is too good. Our rural US post offices are being phased out here, yet if you want to get a dedicated conscientious shipper of a valuable item, they will go the extra distance to at least make you feel catered to. My local guys have tried hard to move and track my delicate shipments and it has always worked out. Bigger PO's and UPS type carriers have a conveyor belt methodology that doesn't always cater to delicate geetars. The guys who hang with the smoke, coffee, and phone in my world are fellow contractors, but that's another fine mess.

Not me, but a family member in the Ozarks is having trouble.

Anything that looks and feels like it has a card (gift card), or money, or private info, arrives damaged, i.e. torn open with some or all contents missing. Current, yet unprovable, intelligence is the 'contract' carriers or others in between are the culprits. Ya see, in some areas, the local Post Offices contract with local carriers to cover routes, who sub-contract to other delivery persons... not sure about the subcontractors whether the USPS knows who these folks are.

I've received damaged mail before, but it arrives in a larger envelope with a transparent panel so the original tattered envelope can be seen within, along with an profuse apology from the USPS that the item got jammed in the machinery or such.

If it just arrived as a torn, open mess.... I'm thinking a local job. Why, oh why would the postal delivery man tell you to file the complaint on the EAST coast when you are, apparently, on the WEST coast. ???

If I were you, I'd follow up with a report to the local postmaster. BTW, make it a personal visit, not an electronic one. If other people's stuff has gone missing/torn up, he may be able to quickly determine the common hand through which it passed.

Not me, but a family member in the Ozarks is having trouble.

Anything that looks and feels like it has a card (gift card), or money, or private info, arrives damaged, i.e. torn open with some or all contents missing. Current, yet unprovable, intelligence is the 'contract' carriers or others in between are the culprits. Ya see, in some areas, the local Post Offices contract with local carriers to cover routes, who sub-contract to other delivery persons... not sure about the subcontractors whether the USPS knows who these folks are.

I've received damaged mail before, but it arrives in a larger envelope with a transparent panel so the original tattered envelope can be seen within, along with an profuse apology from the USPS that the item got jammed in the machinery or such.

If it just arrived as a torn, open mess.... I'm thinking a local job. Why, oh why would the postal delivery man tell you to file the complaint on the EAST coast when you are, apparently, on the WEST coast. ???

If I were you, I'd follow up with a report to the local postmaster. BTW, make it a personal visit, not an electronic one. If other people's stuff has gone missing/torn up, he may be able to quickly determine the common hand through which it passed.

Right there with ya. Local investigator took all pertinent info and sent the damaged package to the originator. The call to the East coast was the USPS main theft investigator. This is a theft, not sorting machine rip. Like you said, I've recieved parcels in clear sealed packs explaining the sorting machine tear-up. Not this one, clearly slit to get at the contents. Glad the authorities are on it. Hope your family members opt to use a P.O.box to stop it before it continues. J.D.

Sadly, I'm not the one to instigate the investigation. But getting a p.o. box isn't an option as the relatives live in the hills, miles and miles from the P.O. And... most of the P.O. employees are from the same family and getting anyone to dispassionately investigate is nigh on impossible.

RE: the above post about plastic washers worth very little to anyone else? If they were in an envelope, they might feel like coins....

Interesting update......now that my local P.O. sent the code backwards to retrace each facility stop...got a call from Atlanta Consumers Affairs Division. They wanted more details about the order. If anything is found, it will be sent to their branch, then on to me. The wheels are turning! J.D.

Archived