Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Tulips to Vintage white buttons <<< UPDATE

BigKahune

Duluth - I'm sorry to have caused you these lightbrown or even slightly pink bones.

Not untill now do I see it was based on a misunderstanding.

I never recommended shoe-polish for bone - only for plastic as bindings and tuners.

Btw. my personal recipe is coffee-soya-salt-honey (the latter to get a hint of glaze) ;-)

Em7: Hey - no one died, so no foul. [cool] Your idea back then was the coffee/salt thing - I had picked up the shoe polish thing somewhere else, twas not your doing, rest assured. The coffee thing did work - but I left them in overnight which was too long me thinks. They look like wood now, and reside on my cheapo frankenstein guitar which has to endure all my lutherie learning experiments. [lol]

I'm sorry to have caused you......Never tried it myself

Ah, the beauty of the WORLD WIDE WEB, anybody with a computer is an EXPERT. Didn't I call you out on some other third party propaganda in another recent thread?

I look the look of the ovals.

I think the tulips should be reserved for bound headstocks.

That makes sense. Holding cosmetics aside, I prefer the tulips because they provide a better grip and more precise control when tuning. I'm more into function than form I guess.

Ah, the beauty of the WORLD WIDE WEB, anybody with a computer is an EXPERT. Didn't I call you out on some other third party propaganda in another recent thread?

I received a (cordial) PM from the member who was on the receiving end of this post asking me to explain. Upon further review, the "third party propaganda" I cited was posted in another thread was by a different member. My apologies to member "Em7" for the confusion.

Had I left out the second sentence, my point is still the same. The www has allowed access to an infinite amount of information, and a ton of it is BS. A newspaper or book publisher is legally liable for what they print/publish, this level of accountability does not exist on the www.

Please carry on with the constructive discussion of this topic.

I received a (cordial) PM from the member who was on the receiving end of this post asking me to explain. Upon further review, the "third party propaganda" I cited was posted in another thread was by a different member. My apologies to member "Em7" for the confusion.

Apology accepted on this side of the curtain also. (Misunderstandings happen)

Appreciate your post and format – thanks, see you further on. . .

E-minor7

Good choice* - dare I suggest the ol' shoe-polish trick. . .

@Em7 & EA - So I felt the guys suggesting knocking down the bright white a bit were right - since my intent was to make the buttons more in keeping with the banner headstock. I had some brown shoe polish lying around and I tried. They first application (put it on thick and let it sit for ten minutes then wiped it off) knocked the bright white down I noticeably. I did another application to try and get it to the aged color of the binding and it worked well. The camera flash brightens the color up a bit, but looking at them in person, the color is close to the binding. It really looks great and so far hasn't worn off. I'm happy. . B)

New, bright white oval buttons ...........................................................................Oval buttons stained with brown shoe polish

2012SouthernJumbo5m_zps7056a5ca.jpg . 2012SouthernJumbo8m_zpsda16c94a.jpg

Side shot to see the binding and stained buttons - you can see the color is pretty close -

2012SouthernJumbo7m_zpsace87098.jpg

@Em7 & EA - So I felt the guys suggesting knocking down the bright white a bit were right - since my intent was to make the buttons more in keeping with the banner headstock. I had some brown shoe polish lying around and I tried. They first application (put it on thick and let it sit for ten minutes then wiped it off) knocked the bright white down I noticeably. I did another application to try and get it to the aged color of the binding and it worked well. The camera flash brightens the color up a bit, but looking at them in person, the color is close to the binding. It really looks great and so far hasn't worn off. I'm happy. . B)

New, bright white oval buttons ...........................................................................Oval buttons stained with brown shoe polish

2012SouthernJumbo5m_zps7056a5ca.jpg. 2012SouthernJumbo8m_zpsda16c94a.jpg

Side shot to see the binding and stained buttons - you can see the color is pretty close -

2012SouthernJumbo7m_zpsace87098.jpg

Nice, gonna try that on my SJ at the weekend!

Hep for a successful move.

It's like painting or mixing, some times it doesn't take much to make things blend.

In fact very little - done the right - way will make the connection.

Or

Resin activator spray... the stuff you use to set the glue on flase nails

women again see ..

I just used black marker pen to get rid of the Gold lettering on my new J35 case ( it looked too brash for my liking )

the marker would leave a mark if you rubbed it... used the resin activator...and its set ...no smudges :)

Archived