Gibson Brands Forums

Buy list

Jerry K

Recently I have been playing an Epiphone EJ-200. I had it tuned down half a step and I have been practicing something I can only sing in that tuning. And I realized that a J-200 has shot to the top of my buy list. Most of my guitars are small and short scale. These big hulking J-200's with their majestic sound are really just the ticket for some things.

I also want a J-45. I had a J-50 and stupidly sold it because of shoulder problems just before I figured out that I can play big guitars fine with a strap. Actually I really want a 12 fret J-45.

Can't fault you on any of those wants for sure. I have an Epi EJ-200ce I believe it is w/ cutaway. Had it setup and it's a great playing guitar but I don't think it has a great "big guitar" sound at all. It's good, but not like its big brother the Gibson by a long shot. Course now it's under $500 and the Gibby is $3500 at least.

On the J-45 I don't have a Mahog. version, just a Custom with Rosewood so it's a bit brighter. Love the sound & the way the Custom plays. One of my 3 favs with maybe the Dove #1. From there I'm pressed hard between the new HBird & the Custom. Couldn't really decided on those so, I guess I'll just have to keep them BOTH!!! [biggrin]

Aster

Can't fault you on any of those wants for sure. I have an Epi EJ-200ce I believe it is w/ cutaway. Had it setup and it's a great playing guitar but I don't think it has a great "big guitar" sound at all. It's good, but not like its big brother the Gibson by a long shot. Course now it's under $500 and the Gibby is $3500 at least.

I actually have the $135 super cheapo EJ-200 Artist, which has a plain belly bridge, no ornamentation, a plain pick guard like a J-50 guard, and plywood throughout. Obviously it's no J-200! But it's a great big long scale guitar which reminds me of the many J-200's I've played.

Jerry, keep your eyes peeled for a used J100extra, which I consider to be one of the best buys on the market. Unfortunately the cost of a new entry level Gibson jumbo has really jumped in recent years, but the J100xtra in it's many forms continues to pop up at reasonable prices. My first one was a big necked '96 mahogany, and I bought my current maple '00 new in '01 (this version sports a fully visible abalone rosette & plain tortoise pickguard). Also had a very nice '01 J150 with a little more bling, but overall the '00 J100 beat it out & off went the J150 in trade a few years later for an ES-335.

One important thing: Generalizations based on body woods seem to get thrown out the window with these jumbos, so they're all worth a look. Any one of them might end up sounding like it's stuffed with a tee shirt, while the next example literally has notes jumping out the soundhole & dancing off the top!

I actually have the $135 super cheapo EJ-200 Artist, which has a plain belly bridge, no ornamentation, a plain pick guard like a J-50 guard, and plywood throughout. Obviously it's no J-200! But it's a great big long scale guitar which reminds me of the many J-200's I've played.

Is it really possible to buy an EJ200 for $135 !?

I played a 12 fret 200 a few years ago at Music Villa. It was wonderful but at the time I had shoulder problems and wasn't buying big ones. Big fat round sound.

There are a very few 12 fret j-45's out there and Jackson Browne model is similar.

I just get a warm feeling when another player realizes that playing strapped up is the only way to go. Right RRod?

I think it has improved my playing because my right shoulder is no longer way up in the air and the resulting posture makes my playing physically stronger. Plus it makes you feel like a rock star. B)

I just get a warm feeling when another player realizes that playing strapped up is the only way to go. Right RRod?

Right you are jz!

Having taken Classical guitar lessons in my youth, I was taught to play with the guitar rested on my left leg also with a footrest. That position can ease up right shoulder issues also, but presents another position (and possible issues) to deal with the fretting hand [crying]

Right you are jz!

Having taken Classical guitar lessons in my youth, I was taught to play with the guitar rested on my left leg also with a footrest. That position can ease up right shoulder issues also, but presents another position (and possible issues) to deal with the fretting hand [crying]

Doesn't seem to hamper the likes of Ana Vidovic. Bet you look just as good with a foot up on the step. In pants, of course.

Archived